Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
Posts 251 to 275 of 301

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    The iconic Strat through Fender tone.

User Info Menu

I just did a side-by-side of the Tone Master Twin Reverb and the 65 Twin model on the Fender SuperChamp X2 head. Then I realized that nobody at all cares one bit about hearing how those two compare. Why did I do it? Why do otters slide down river banks? Because... they're otters.

I otter think more before I go making totally useless side-by-side clips...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Because you’ll end up with 100k subscribers and getting free stuff that you have to pretend to like
    I'd love the chance to confront that ethical crisis intensively and thoroughly. I might have to accept 10-20 pieces of gear before I realize my conscience can't endure it any longer...

"...and lead us not into temptation...starting tomorrow..."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    I love what he gets at around the 2:20 mark.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    I love what he gets at around the 2:20 mark.
    Not sure how he changes the amp setting during this demo, but he does change his pickup selection from neck (:19) to middle pickup (2:20); and from neck (6:47 - 7:09) to bridge (after 7:09). Sounds to me like the amp settings might have been the same when he changed from neck to middle pickup; but different at the end when he goes from neck to bridge.

Anyway, agree with you Jim. Sounds very sweet at 2:20 during the middle neck setting.

User Info Menu

I've often thought that the Strat's best sounding and best driving tones come from the middle p/up alone.

User Info Menu

Since the last posting here, there have been tons of new YouTube videos on the Tone Master series.

For those who may still care... I found this one today that I think offers a fair and balanced comparison of the sound of a Tone Master DR and a 65' DR. No talk -- just guitar and amp sound.

(BTW, I think Lawson-Stone still has the best demonstration of jazz tones from the Tone Master.)

Here is another good one:

User Info Menu

Will there be one under a forum member's Christmas tree?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Will there be one under a forum member's Christmas tree?
    I have to answer "affirmative" !
    When I ordered my TMDR in mid November the waiting time for delivery here in Europe was end January 2020 ! By tremendous good fortune, I received a text message over the weekend from UPS saying that it would be delivered on Christmas eve. It arrived today at around 10h30, and after all the necessary unpacking and inspection I carried it upstairs (only 23 pounds, yay!) to my music room. After reconfiguring my pedalboard connections and wireless setup (current amp has a loop, the TMDR doesn't) I was able to spend a couple of hours exploring its capabilities and I concur with Lawson's comments. I tried a range of instruments/pickups (1961 ES175D with PAF, Ibanez Artist 2169 Prestige with modern Super80 humbuckers, very bright 1978 Ibanez MC400NT with Super 88s and a Gretsch g5220 Electronmatic Jet with Broad'Tron Black Tops. All instruments came through nicely on both channels. Both clean and overdriven sounds came through very nicely, if a little "dry" (not sterile) at this stage - but I want to give the speakers a chance to break in before forming a firm opinion. After lunch I ran different pedals through the clean channel and was very happy with the results. The attenuator is a blessing for home playing, no doubt about that . Tomorrow I'll try the line out functions if I have the time.

This early delivery gave me a genuine very Merry Chrtistmas, and I wish the same to all you other forum members.

User Info Menu

It’s late. I’m playing the 175 into a Fender TM Twin. Through headphones. Silent for her, sonic glory for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TedBPhx
    It’s late. I’m playing the 175 into a Fender TM Twin. Through headphones. Silent for her, sonic glory for me.
    How are you doing the headphones? XLR to a mixer? I love my TMTR also. It's just amazing.

User Info Menu

Lawson,

I have to get down to the music store and try a TMTR after listening to yours. Shazaam!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    How are you doing the headphones? XLR to a mixer? I love my TMTR also. It's just amazing.
    XLR to a Focusrite Scarlett 4i4. I loop through the iPad, just in and out, no processing needed for this lovely tone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TedBPhx
    XLR to a Focusrite Scarlett 4i4. I loop through the iPad, just in and out, no processing needed for this lovely tone.
    I do something similar. Here's a clip I made to demo 3 "cheap" archtops, all Epiphones, playing through the TMTR and the XLR line out. I had the power selector on the lowest setting to keep things quiet in the room, but the sound through the line out was still rich. I can't say enough good things about this amp!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Lawson,

I have to get down to the music store and try a TMTR after listening to yours. Shazaam!
    No kidding. It's almost eerie it's so good. I haven't played a tube twin very often but the times I did it made a HUGE impression on me, one of those never-forget musical moments. When I pulled this out of the carton and fired it up with my L5ces, I about fainted. Same feeling. But you have the output power selector on the back, the XLR out with 3 profiles and a separate control for the line out level... but on the front, it's just Fender Twin knobs that work and feel like the old ones.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I do something similar. Here's a clip I made to demo 3 "cheap" archtops, all Epiphones, playing through the TMTR and the XLR line out. I had the power selector on the lowest setting to keep things quiet in the room, but the sound through the line out was still rich. I can't say enough good things about this amp!

Boy, that Parsons Humbuckers is pretty dark! Having it installed this week into the same guitar as you know, Lawson. Should be a nice alternative to the brighter Guild sound.

User Info Menu

Here's a quick demo I did playing "The Shadow of Your Smile" on an L5ces through the Fender Tone Master Twin Reverb. Recorded using the XLR line out SM57 profile.

Unfortunately I didn't have the input trim level on my recording interface thing set right and so there is a little digital clipping in spots. That's not the amp, that's my not having the level adjusted.

User Info Menu

We don't get to hear you play enough chord melody that sounded great!

User Info Menu

Took my 175 with me to GC to make sure. Came home with a TM Twin. But my strat said, “Hey!” and the 175 waits patiently while I explore the sound of a maxed out Twin with thick reverb -at bedroom levels. Oh. oh? Oh yes.
    Last edited by TedBPhx; 01-09-2020 at 02:40 AM.

User Info Menu

I'm periodically going to do a clip with various guitars through the Tone Master Twin Reverb just for information. I think this amp is going to be very popular among jazz players and it's good to hear it with a range of guitars.

This is the Aria Pro II PE180 "stock" using the XLR out with the IR#1 profile, which is a close-mic SM57.

I"m also learning that the reverb on this amp, which sounds great "live" is especially good in recording. I don't know how they do it, but the reverb seems somehow tied to the volume or power level. Playing, I tend to think the reverb is a little much, but recorded the identical setting sounds great. I have heard the same is true in a room with an audience; it sounds a little thick to the player, but right out in the room. Haven't had a chance to test that part.

I hope someone will give us a thread on the Tone Master Deluxe Reverb as well, but for now, it's the Twin!

User Info Menu

That is a lovely 'verb. Thank you, Lawson for sharing this!

User Info Menu

Thanks Lawson for the additional Tone Master videos. As I think you know, Fender worked hard to get the correct reverb sound. Tricky stuff apparently. Of the quad-core system then used half -- or two -- just for the reverb.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by archtopeddy
    Thanks Lawson for the additional Tone Master videos. As I think you know, Fender worked hard to get the correct reverb sound. Tricky stuff apparently. Of the quad-core system then used half -- or two -- just for the reverb.
    Yes, and I do think they got it. I wish there was more room to adjust, but in recording it always comes out nice. This is a seriously nice amp. I am not retiring my Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue at all, but this TMTR is a no-drama "get it done" amp.