The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Posts 226 to 250 of 301

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Second amp sounds much more focused in the upper mids—less pleasant to my ear. I preferred the warmth of the lower mids of the first amp.
    I don't know, maybe it's me, or my headphones, I didn't hear the "warmth" (in the lower mids) in the 1st amp. I preferred the "warmth" and fat tone of the second amp, which I attribute to "mids". But, after lusting after, and finally owning an L5CES, I'd prefer mine to sound like the one played thru Amp #2.
    Just to add, I liked both amps in the video
    Last edited by Jimmy Mack; 11-02-2019 at 09:31 PM. Reason: adding to it

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

If you are going to try either of these amps in a store, plug an xotic EP boost pedal in front of it. Don’t even boost the signal. Basically it emulates the sound of the echoplex pre amp. I bought it for a clean boost but leave it on all the time. It is the only sound i like better than the tonemaster twin. Time to sell some tube amps and modelers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Second amp sounds much more focused in the upper mids—less pleasant to my ear. I preferred the warmth of the lower mids of the first amp.
    +1

User Info Menu

I prefer the sound of the 1st amp it was warmer and smoother. The second was quite different much brighter more acoustic. In the right situation could be great.

lawson thanks for doing these it is cool. Your playing is nice and the L5 is way out beautiful.

So off topic those books on the shelves.....probably some biblical archives the deacon could do well to read. The L5 would keep getting in my way if you left it out.

User Info Menu

Speaker size aside, CAB SIZE is going to make a huge difference in the sound of those 2 amps... kind of apples vs oranges

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Sorry didn't mean insult Lawson or anyone else here by my earlier post. It's just that as much as I suffer GAS Ive found it most of what really makes me happy is gigging with other like minded musicians.

I actually preferred the first amp better in the clip. But either would record just fine enough for me.
    Hey no problem. I totally understood your intent and I felt no insult or offense at all. Thanks for a pertinent observation. I do these demos because they are fun, I’m fortunate to have the stuff I have and I want to make it easier for others to make decisions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    ....I want to make it easier for others to make decisions.
    Unless it is buried somewhere in this thread and I missed it, when will you be revealing which is Amp #1 and Amp #2?
    The suspense it doin' me in, as I have an insatiable curiosity.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rhoadsscholar
    If you are going to try either of these amps in a store, plug an xotic EP boost pedal in front of it. Don’t even boost the signal. Basically it emulates the sound of the echoplex pre amp. I bought it for a clean boost but leave it on all the time. It is the only sound i like better than the tonemaster twin. Time to sell some tube amps and modelers
    Just did a quick search on that pedal, sounds interesting, almost too good to be true. And the first thread I found was a multi page discussion on TGP from 2015 or so with guys using it with their tube amps. Lots of raves.

These new Tone Masters may be what gets me to finally go solid state. I've been pondering the latest odd little noises coming from one of my tube amps and switched out a few tubes already. I love my tube amps but tubes can be a PIA in general..old tubes are super expensive and new ones are suspect.

I would buy a new Tone Master if I were a current buyer to get the warranty just in case.

User Info Menu

I'd have to guess that amp 2 is the tone master deluxe. I have a tube 66 deluxe and a Princeton with a 12" so it seems consistent to what I hear. I somehow manage to guess wrong in many of these demos though!

User Info Menu

I’m guessing TMTR is amp 1. In one of Lawson’s earlier demos I was surprised at how bright the PRRI sounded.

User Info Menu

I haven't played a "Tone Master" yet, but I did pick up a TM Deluxe Reverb while visiting a local music store yesterday.
    You look at it and think UGH . . . but it's as light as my Pro Jr. and so much bigger !!!

Looks like us old guys are being noticed as an amp buying demographic.
    Next thing might be a 30 pound Marshall half stack made out of balsawood.

I still dig my Pro Jr, but dang if it only weighed 5 pounds !!!!

User Info Menu

So here it is:

#1 is the Princeton Reverb Reissue from Sweetwater with the 12” CR speaker and some tube swaps (of course!)

#2 is the Tone Master Twin Reverb

User Info Menu

So here it is:

#1 is the Princeton Reverb Reissue from Sweetwater with the 12” CR speaker and some tube swaps (of course!)

Could you please go out and buy a Tone Master Deluxe Reverb and include it in the same video.
    Thanks in advance, much appreciated (j/k)

User Info Menu

I wish! With all these demos I do fender ought to comp me one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

So here it is:

Thanks Lawson! You just saved me from spending a grand!

User Info Menu

Deluxe Tone Master discussion, start this at the 33:00 mark.

User Info Menu

I still hope they make a Princeton version... only thing better than a PR is a LIGHTER PR... (not that it's heavy, but hey...)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    I still hope they make a Princeton version... only thing better than a PR is a LIGHTER PR... (not that it's heavy, but hey...)
    If they did a Tone Master Princeton Reverb and it was as good as the Twin, they'd have a KILLER amp.

I predict tube amps will almost completely disappear in the near future. But they'll come back 30-40 years later like vinyl did.

User Info Menu

But.... the PR is one speaker, so is the DR. You have to admit that you love the sound of 2 spkrs in a cab, no?

User Info Menu

I have the TMDR and think it's great. Nonetheless, I'd also like to see a TM Princeton Reverb. Why? Simple. Size. Any smaller amp that sound great is a wonderful thing in my books.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by archtopeddy
    I have the TMDR and think it's great. Nonetheless, I'd also like to see a TM Princeton Reverb. Why? Simple. Size. Any smaller amp that sound great is a wonderful thing in my books.
    A TMPR would make a great little (lightweight) jazz amp...IF Fender ever decides to produce it.

User Info Menu

I'm not one of those people who feels that it has to look like a blackface combo.

Instead of a Princeton, I'd go the mini head + cab approach. You could put the head in a backpack with cables etc... then mix and match with lightweight cabs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    I'm not one of those people who feels that it has to look like a blackface combo.

Instead of a Princeton, I'd go the mini head + cab approach. You could put the head in a backpack with cables etc... then mix and match with lightweight cabs.

Well, with the (projected) success of the TM BFs, looks for Tweeds to be next in line....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    Well, with the (projected) success of the TM BFs, looks for Tweeds to be next in line....
    I'm gassing for a TMTR, but will wait for the 'Ltd.Ed' versions with special tolex or tweed covering. Sweetwater will get their own special run. It'll likely add another $250 to the base price, but they will sell all that they make. You know this will happen.