The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Posts 176 to 200 of 301

User Info Menu

You should try it out live. The demo videos don't do justice to what the power adjustment does.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    .. Blues Cube Artist right next to it.
    (oops.. duplicate info from Ruger's post..)

Have a 1X12 version. Thing is, unless you want more of the tweed sound they were targeting, you have to install one of the 'tone capsules', $150-$250 to tailor the sound. I'm using a the 'sparkle clean' that's supposed to emulate something like a KT66. Works well with an archtop and no plans to replace it. But probably would have acquired the TM Twin instead if it had been available. Same weight, twice everything else.

User Info Menu

How likely is it that Fender will come out with a Tone Master 5F6-A?

User Info Menu

Everything will depend on the success of the 2 current models. But I would think, if TM is a big success, that the 5F6-A is definitely one of the models they'd do.

User Info Menu

I would want to demo a Tonemaster in person using at least two different guitars. A few years ago, a friend bought a Fender acoustic amp that used digital modelling technology. While the amp sounded good, every guitar that I tried through it sounded the same. That is not the case with a real tube amp. I would imagine that the technology has improved, but like President Reagan said years ago "Trust, but verify".

User Info Menu

This is quite interesting, because with my Roland Blues Cube Artist, I can here MORE differences in my guitars than I do through my Fender tube amp...

User Info Menu

Wait a second! Is the TM DR putting out 100 watts?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Mack
    Wait a second! Is the TM DR putting out 100 watts?
    100 solid state watts =~= 22 tube watts apparently.

User Info Menu

100 solid state watts =~= 22 tube watts apparently.
    Their website says "Using a high-performance 100-watt digital power amp to achieve the headroom and dynamic range of a real vintage Deluxe tube amp..." They use a vastly over-powered output amp to get the effect of headroom. I have played a TMTR which uses a 200 watt power amp to get the dynamic range of a tube TR and while I don't have vast years of experience playing a TR I have played them enough to know the TMTR does an amazing job on that. We've always known anecdotally that "tube watts" seem to have a different loudness and range from the same "solid state watts." Fender evidently incorporated that into the design of the Tone Master amps.

More reviews:

User Info Menu

More reviews:
    ULTIMATE PHOTO BOMB: Check out that SUITE Silvertone 1484 head behind him!!!!

User Info Menu

I did, and it brought to mind the nite my 1484 went up in smoke! A hot summer night and 1000 people in attendance. I had to plug into the bass-player's Bassman amp with him! I paid $40 for that amp, and I made $5 for the nite. I was 15 and off to a good start (learning the ups and downs of gigging).

User Info Menu

I did, and it brought to mind the nite my 1484 went up in smoke! A hot summer night and 1000 people in attendance. I had to plug into the bass-player's Bassman amp with him! I paid $40 for that amp, and I made $5 for the nite. I was 15 and off to a good start (learning the ups and downs of gigging).
    Awesome story! I have a 1484 head that had all the original tubes, but they seemed a bit tired, so I put new 6L6's in and changed out some preamp tubes. It's a fine sounding amp. I have a Yamaha G100-210 and I plug the dual 10" speakers into the head, and wow that thing can really sing. Or roar.

User Info Menu

Great story. Same thing happened to my 1484. Not a thousand people though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Their website says "Using a high-performance 100-watt digital power amp to achieve the headroom and dynamic range of a real vintage Deluxe tube amp..." They use a vastly over-powered output amp to get the effect of headroom. I have played a TMTR which uses a 200 watt power amp to get the dynamic range of a tube TR and while I don't have vast years of experience playing a TR I have played them enough to know the TMTR does an amazing job on that. We've always known anecdotally that "tube watts" seem to have a different loudness and range from the same "solid state watts." Fender evidently incorporated that into the design of the Tone Master amps.
    The voltage headroom of 100W over 22W is only 2.13 times. The power amp must never clip, whatever the simulated drive signal given to it. Presumably the real amp can produce transient spikes or whatnot that exceed the nominal peak voltage for 22W. Fortunately, using a class D amp the efficiency can be maintained even when using less than full output, which would not be the case with a conventional class B amp.

The real problem with this sort of kit is getting parts and servicing when something goes wrong. I would guess that servicing will be at the board replacement level and that after a few years a faulty amp would be a write off.

User Info Menu

I played the house amp at a gig today - a Peavey Classic 20W lunchbox head through a 12" cab (I think.) Sounded like a Deluxe Reverb. So... I just need Fender (or Peavey) to a digital version of that and bwahaahahahahaahahahaaaaargghhhh.

User Info Menu

So I tried the Deluxe TM and the Twin TM again. I love the the tone of the Deluxe!
    I thought it edged out the Twin by a bit,and was also a bit lighter as well.
    For me the ideal would be to have the more powerful 200 watts with the Deluxe 1x12" Combo.

But either way I think Fender has finally done it,Bravo!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    So I tried the Deluxe TM and the Twin TM again. I love the the tone of the Deluxe!
    I thought it edged out the Twin by a bit,and was also a bit lighter as well.
    For me the ideal would be to have the more powerful 200 watts with the Deluxe 1x12" Combo.

But either way I think Fender has finally done it,Bravo!
    200W into a 1x12? You'd need a skookum speaker.

User Info Menu

Just want the Clean headroom of the TM Twin and the tone of the Deluxe !

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Just want the Clean headroom of the TM Twin and the tone of the Deluxe !
    Then you need one of these:BOSS - WAZA Tube Amp Expander | Tube Amp Expander

It's an all in one unit. Recording interface, reactive attenuator, cab simulator, IR etc. But it is also a power stage. You can plug your small tube amp, the unit amplifies it further by 100watts while preserving the amps tone. I don't know what the resulting wattage would be with Deluxe. 122? It's class D so probably less, more like 60 tube watts.
    You can turn a little amp like a Champ into a powerful gigging amp with this thing.

User Info Menu

New demo, but it's an "official" one from Fender, so...

Amp sounds good. Kotzen, like many, sounds like himself no matter what he plugs into. He has used Marshall Plexis, his own signature "Marshall" from a boutique company, Vibro-Kings, now he has a signature amp from Victory....

He's also very good at shading... he talks ALOT about what HE wants out of an amp, but when talking about the TM Twin DIRECTLY, his comments are limited to features, weight, and he does say once "to perfection, it is emulating an all-tube Fender Twin like I have never heard before." And something about overtones. But otherwise he does not wax poetical about how HE feels about THAT amp... lol

I do wish someone WOULD crank one of these TMs and use the attenuator to bring the volume back down, and then also demonstrate how well it cleans up (while cranked) with the guitar's volume knob.

If they ever release a Princeton, I'm in (never been a Deluxe fan). I'm thinking they won't, because the PR is already "cheap enough", but we'll see....

Last edited by ruger9; 10-16-2019 at 08:41 AM.

User Info Menu

Love the idea of the Waza Tube Expander, but being older and only using amps for gigging purposes. I like traveling as light as possible. I've been using Quilter Aviator amps and have been very pleased.
    But these Fenders definitely have that signature tone!

User Info Menu

Then you need one of these:BOSS - WAZA Tube Amp Expander | Tube Amp Expander

It's an all in one unit. Recording interface, reactive attenuator, cab simulator, IR etc. But it is also a power stage. You can plug your small tube amp, the unit amplifies it further by 100watts while preserving the amps tone. I don't know what the resulting wattage would be with Deluxe. 122? It's class D so probably less, more like 60 tube watts.
    You can turn a little amp like a Champ into a powerful gigging amp with this thing.
    But $1,300 USD? Lot of bread. Rather than turn your champ into a "powerful gigging amp" you could buy a Twin, either the TM version or a tube one for a lot less.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Why would he?I mean, some people want the moon on a stick. I want good enough to gig. And it is.
    Just pointing out that when you are (likely) being PAID by someone for a review (whether by fee, endorsement, or "preferred treatment"), you have to take that into consideration with said review.

It was the same when Jim Campilongo did a video review of the PRRI... he was very careful to not say anything like "it sounds like an old one" or "I would gig with this tomorrow", or anything... and that was tube vs tube. It's just the nature of the business.

That being said, I'm not criticizing either reviewer. I think the reissues are fine amps, and while I haven't played a TM, the early returns are saying Fender has indeed come up with something really good.

User Info Menu

I haven’t tried one yet...but a twin that never needs new tubes, probably won’t fail from a hard jolt, is utterly dependable, and weighs 1/3 of what the original weighs is worth a grand...