The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
Posts 276 to 300 of 301

User Info Menu

I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t sorely tempted by this amp. I am envisioning this covering all my desired bases by putting something like a Tech 21 Blond in front.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

**adding a disclaimer as I did not realize there are additional switches on the back of the amp that I should have been dialing in. I will repost once I have time to go try this amp out again but this review below is suspect based on what I found out**

I just tested one of these side by side to a quilter toneblock 202 with blockdock 12 and was disappointed. I felt I could dial in something very similar to a twin sound (also had a twin tube there to play with as well) with the quilter but also many other tones as well. Twin had a coldness to it that I did not expect.

I also tried some of my pedals with the tonemaster and they all sounded muffled (like there was a wet blanket over the speaker). Something unpleasant about the frequencies that I could not quite dial out.

Just my 2c but curious if others have compared vs the toneblock and felt the same
    Last edited by wherearemykeys; 01-13-2020 at 05:01 PM. Reason: adding a disclaimer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wherearemykeys
    I just tested one of these side by side to a quilter toneblock 202 with blockdock 12 and was disappointed. I felt I could dial in something very similar to a twin sound (also had a twin tube there to play with as well) with the quilter but also many other tones as well. Twin had a coldness to it that I did not expect.

I also tried some of my pedals with the tonemaster and they all sounded muffled (like there was a wet blanket over the speaker). Something unpleasant about the frequencies that I could not quite dial out.

Just my 2c but curious if others have compared vs the toneblock and felt the same
    Funny but I monitor threads on the TM amps on a few boards, one of which has over 5000 posts. I know of only 4-5 who tested it came away with that impression. The overwhelming consensus is that the TMDR and TMTR are unbelievably close to the classic tone of their namesakes. Mine definitely does not sound that way. I have it side-by-side with a Princeton Reverb Re-Issue with the 12" speaker and a Quilter Interblock 45. Those are great sounding amps, but the TMTR suffers nothing in comparison.

I also have not heard any comparison with the Quilter or DVMark that the Tone Master came up short.

Yeah, like with any piece of gear, there will be varying opinions on TM amps.

Two most common complaints I read from people who weren't impressed by them were the lack of volume and brightness. TM amps seem to be quieter and darker (at least perceived so) when in the same settings with their tube counter parts. When I did A/B testing of Deluxe Reverb's, I found that the tube one was punchier when volume and tone controls were set equal between the two amps. That's probably more noticeable in some rooms than others. It could be because they have different speakers.

This is not a show stopper though, it just means some tweaking is required. Did you try turning on the bright switch on the TM Twin? It helps to keep the volume a bit higher when comparing with the tube versions as well.

You said there was also a tube version in the store. Did you compare quilter with the tube Twin as well? If so what did you think? It's also possible that you just like the Quilter more than Twins
    Last edited by Tal_175; 01-13-2020 at 01:06 PM.

User Info Menu

Even the Washburn J600k, 17” lam and pressed spruce with a Benedetto S6, sounds good through the TM Twin. Hollow wood, or the auditory illusion thereof, comes through better than on the PC30 or Katana combo. Suspect because of 2 12s versus 1.

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Funny but I monitor threads on the TM amps on a few boards, one of which has over 5000 posts. I know of only 4-5 who tested it came away with that impression. The overwhelming consensus is that the TMDR and TMTR are unbelievably close to the classic tone of their namesakes. Mine definitely does not sound that way. I have it side-by-side with a Princeton Reverb Re-Issue with the 12" speaker and a Quilter Interblock 45. Those are great sounding amps, but the TMTR suffers nothing in comparison.

I also have not heard any comparison with the Quilter or DVMark that the Tone Master came up short.
    I guess my experience was outside the norm of others - It’s possible that something was wrong with the particular amp itself because it was definitely falling short, including against the actual tube version which I was using as well.

I was really excited to try based on the forums so was surprised. Maybe I will head by guitar center to try another tonemaster - I went to the other place because it had quilter stuff as well that I wanted to check out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Following this thread with much interest.

User Info Menu

I guess my experience was outside the norm of others - It’s possible that something was wrong with the particular amp itself because it was definitely falling short, including against the actual tube version which I was using as well.

I was really excited to try based on the forums so was surprised. Maybe I will head by guitar center to try another tonemaster - I went to the other place because it had quilter stuff as well that I wanted to check out.

What was the setting on the output level switch on the back? That switch runs from the full 85 Watts down through 40, 22 12, 5 and 1w. Obviously on 1 or 5 you aren't moving much air. I generally play mine with the output selector on 12 or 22. Front panel volume is 6, Treble 6, Middle 6, Bass 3. Also the Twin's front volume knob has a much slower increase in level than most other amps, simply because at the high end they are freaking loud (depending on what the output selector is set on).

A lot of folks who just play one in a shop don't know about the back panel controls. It can make a big difference. Then again, the Quilter is a great amp and who says you need to change?

What was the setting on the output level switch on the back? That switch runs from the full 85 Watts down through 40, 22 12, 5 and 1w. Obviously on 1 or 5 you aren't moving much air. I generally play mine with the output selector on 12 or 22. Front panel volume is 6, Treble 6, Middle 6, Bass 3. Also the Twin's front volume knob has a much slower increase in level than most other amps, simply because at the high end they are freaking loud (depending on what the output selector is set on).

A lot of folks who just play one in a shop don't know about the back panel controls. It can make a big difference. Then again, the Quilter is a great amp and who says you need to change?
    Therein lies the rub ... I have no idea what the output switch was on the back. I noticed there was a standby switch (which seemed funny without a tube). I will need to replay this experiment and adjust the output level switch you're talking about.

I don't have the Quilter Toneblock but was evaluating. I really enjoyed my Benson Hotrod's chimey goodness as well as PRRI I used to have but on both there was always a narrow volume in which I could achieve the tone that I wanted. The Quilter toneblock was pretty great but I am going to reevaluate the TMTR now that you have pointed out my mistake. I'm going to give the Strymon Iridium and monitor a try as well as I am hearing good things too.

Thanks for the info!

User Info Menu

Therein lies the rub ... I have no idea what the output switch was on the back. I noticed there was a standby switch (which seemed funny without a tube). I will need to replay this experiment and adjust the output level switch you're talking about.

I don't have the Quilter Toneblock but was evaluating. I really enjoyed my Benson Hotrod's chimey goodness as well as PRRI I used to have but on both there was always a narrow volume in which I could achieve the tone that I wanted. The Quilter toneblock was pretty great but I am going to reevaluate the TMTR now that you have pointed out my mistake. I'm going to give the Strymon Iridium and monitor a try as well as I am hearing good things too.

Thanks for the info!
    The "Standby" switch is really just a mute switch that shuts off output to the speakers so you can output solely through the line out to record or perform on a silent stage. There are 3 controls on the back. The Output Power selector, a switch to select which Line Out profile to use, and a line out level knob. The line out on these amps is really impressive. I have recorded simultaneously with an SM57 on the speaker and used the SM57 option on the line out and really could not tell the difference.

I would almost bet the Output Power selector in that store was set on 1 Watt.

User Info Menu

Deleted. I thought there was a master volume in addition to the output watts switch, but there’s not—just like on a real BF Twin.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info!
    I have a Quilter Toneblock 200. Running into a 2X12 closed back with vintage Celestion's, it sounds absolutely amazing. Thing is, the cabinet weighs over 60 pounds and therefore does not leave the house. Running through a 1X12 Redstone cabinet it doesn't sound nearly as good.

I will receive my Strymon Iridium tomorrow and will check back in on a separate thread. I'll be running it through various speakers: Yamaha DRZ10, Acus 350, and Schertler Jam 150. We'll see how it compares to the Quilter, a Roland Blues Artist, and my 81 Fender Concert.

I've not played a Fender Tone Master yet. Since Fender had a very focused set of design goals combining speaker, cabinet, and amp sim, I don't expect the Strymon Iridium with a full range speaker to match it. However, I think it may come close while offering more choices and greater flexibility.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    I have a Quilter Toneblock 200. Running into a 2X12 closed back with vintage Celestion's, it sounds absolutely amazing. Thing is, the cabinet weighs over 60 pounds and therefore does not leave the house. Running through a 1X12 Redstone cabinet it doesn't sound nearly as good.

I will receive my Strymon Iridium tomorrow and will check back in on a separate thread. I'll be running it through various speakers: Yamaha DRZ10, Acus 350, and Schertler Jam 150. We'll see how it compares to the Quilter, a Roland Blues Artist, and my 81 Fender Concert.

I've not played a Fender Tone Master yet. Since Fender had a very focused set of design goals combining speaker, cabinet, and amp sim, I don't expect the Strymon Iridium with a full range speaker to match it. However, I think it may come close while offering more choices and greater flexibility.
    Does the Strymon Iridium output a full power speaker signal? If not, what are you using as a power amp?

Does the Strymon Iridium output a full power speaker signal? If not, what are you using as a power amp?
    No, you need a powered speaker or power amp.

I use a Yamaha DXR10 and the poster you are asking uses a higher quality DRZ10

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    They sure get a lot of promotion. I don't see them taking off personally, digital amps with these dimensions and these prices.
    Well, they took off alright. Nobody's able to keep them in stock, especially the Twin.

User Info Menu

Been a working musician for 40 years, been hauling heavy tube combo amps around the whole time. Still love em. At 58, hard to haul up a flight of stairs. But...the tone! The response! Tried a Tone master twin. It came home with me the same day. Love the attenuation and xlr out. pull it back to 22 watts, crank the volume, it breaks up beautifully. Without ear bleed. you would swear there were tubes in it. First SS amp I've ever owned. Not dissapointed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jorj
    Been a working musician for 40 years, been hauling heavy tube combo amps around the whole time. Still love em. At 58, hard to haul up a flight of stairs. But...the tone! The response! Tried a Tone master twin. It came home with me the same day. Love the attenuation and xlr out. pull it back to 22 watts, crank the volume, it breaks up beautifully. Without ear bleed. you would swear there were tubes in it. First SS amp I've ever owned. Not dissapointed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    +1000 on that!

I must confess that I too have fallen hard for a Tone Master Twin Reverb. I decided to check one out after seeing Lawson-Stone's posts (and the demos he did). Needless to say I could not resist.

Two months in and it's the only amp I use with my jazz guitars anymore. Such a great, fat, balanced, perfect tone. I will likely be selling my Cube 80gx and likely my Princeton Reverb (my previous go-to jazz amps). The Twin and the PR are close to the same weight, but the 2 x 12" speakers in the Twin really make the magic happen. I don't play loud, but it feels thick with all the air being moved. It's a rich, glorious tone that puts a smile on my face and inspires me to play. Makes all my jazz guitars sound like a million bucks. NOTE: I did install the Fender firmware update to tame the over-the-top reverb. Now, it's perfect.

My advice is to take your favorite jazz guitar to the music shop and spend a few minutes with a Tone Master amp. It took only a couple minutes of fiddling to find "my" perfect jazz tone. I've had mine for a few months now and intentionally avoided doing a NAD post--I didn't want to gush about it and then lose interest and end up selling it and feeling stupid for my passing infatuation. Happily (unlike so many other over-hyped pieces of gear), this amp's richness just keeps growing on me. I've never sounded so good. Oh, and I also agonized over which Tone Master amp to get--Deluxe Reverb or Twin Reverb. Decisions, decisions.... I'm sure the Deluxe's are great too, but I pulled the trigger on the Twin and that was the right choice for me.

Hopefully, this was helpful. I really don't want to be on the hype train, but I really like mine. You should try one and see if it works for you.

Roli

User Info Menu

I'm wondering about the attenuation on the Twin. It doesn't go as low as the Deluxe. Is it a problem for home use?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by m_d
    I'm wondering about the attenuation on the Twin. It doesn't go as low as the Deluxe. Is it a problem for home use?
    I play my Tone Master Twin Reverb in my office. During peak work hours, I love the silent feed to the recording/monitor, but at the lowest level I'm very satisfied with the sound and it isn't too loud. At least, I have had nobody comment that they heard me playing.

This amp keeps getting better and better as I use it. It's now my default.

User Info Menu

I play my Tone Master Twin Reverb in my office. During peak work hours, I love the silent feed to the recording/monitor, but at the lowest level I'm very satisfied with the sound and it isn't too loud. At least, I have had nobody comment that they heard me playing.

Very interesting.......
    ou favor over your tweed Princeton? What would you say are their tonal differences?

Maybe i should be itching for one of thems......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66
    Very interesting.......
    ou favor over your tweed Princeton? What would you say are their tonal differences?

Maybe i should be itching for one of thems......
    "tweed" denotes for most Fenderati an era of amps and a specific sound, and my Princeton is a "tweed" only in that it has tweed tolex. It is a re-issue created for Sweetwater music. I understand the QA is a little better for these, and they come standard with a 12" canabis rex speaker.

That said, i like the princeton a lot. Wonderful sound, very gratifying to play. But the Tone Master Twin is just... no drama, all tone, great control, good recording resources (XLR out). Some of my favorite tones in jazz are an L5 or Super 400 through 2 12" speakers (Wes, Kenny...) and this nails it. I do love the Princeton, especially with the ES175

Now... I'll haul out the Princeton and play it for a while!

User Info Menu

Thanks for your feedback. Game changers from Fender. I'm getting either model in the not too distant future,still undecided.

User Info Menu

Has anyone discussed the differences between the the black and Blonde tolex model?
    Did I read there is a different speaker?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66
    Has anyone discussed the differences between the the black and Blonde tolex model?
    Did I read there is a different speaker?