The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

I’ve been eyeing a 2007 SE custom with a single PU and one thing throws me, a bit. It’s sporting a maple top instead of spruce. Was this a customers preference, possibly, or was there a specific era/version that used maple instead? Also, would the top being maple be more compressed sounding than spruce? I feel like it might lack some of the acoustic singing properties. I hope to go try it out in a few days but figured I’d grab up some intel beforehand.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A maple top Super Eagle would definitely be a customer's custom order, as well as a single pickup and H550 style pickguard. Also, SE's typically had a Cupid's Bow at the termination of the fretboard.

Heritage would do almost anything a customer wanted on a custom build, as long as it fit their basic model designs before the new ownership took over a couple of years ago. Ask the seller to take a photo of the inside label. It may (or may not) identify it as a custom.

Others can speak to the differences of a carved maple top vs. carved spruce top. It is a beautuful archtop!

User Info Menu

From what I have seen and learned so far (looking for a SE myself) this looks much more like a H-550 model with some extras thrown in. An Eagle model has all solid woods and the Golden Eagle and the SE also have multi-layered binding all over. From the looks of it this is a 17" model whereas the SE has a width of 18" .

I emailed the seller for more confirmation but it sure looks like a H550 after comparing the two models.

User Info Menu

Custom H-550, IMO. See above for the "bling" on a Super Eagle.

User Info Menu

That is a seriously sweet 550.

Heritage SE with a maple top?-bbf27f5b-3742-4740-9780-9eb46a7f9c13-jpg

Here is the description. Seems like they have it mislabeled, for sure. Everything I’ve looked at that resembles it screams H550. Haven’t heard back from them yet.

User Info Menu

H550's are ply, not solid carved like Eagles. Pricing should be MUCH lower if it is truly a 550.

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    H550's are ply, not solid carved like Eagles. Pricing should be MUCH lower if it is truly a 550.
    My thoughts exactly.

User Info Menu

Jay Wolfe has or had a maple-topped thinline Golden Eagle made for him in 2000:
    "In 2000 I asked J.P. Moats to please locate some highly figured maple for a special Golden Eagle I was lusting after. He called me & said he found some gorgeous Fiddle back AAAA Maple and I sent him the specs- Antique Natural finish, 2.25 inch rim depth, dual Seth Lover humbuckers, Bigsby w/ Chet handle, special Pickguard and all the guys signed the label. It sounds terrific. I just Plek'd her 4-18 and shot these pics. They really created a Masterpiece instrument for me, and I appreciate it so much."
    Maybe he wants to sell it?

Attached Images Attached Images Heritage SE with a maple top?-heritage-ge-thin-jaywolfe-jpg 

User Info Menu

Another thought...Ask the seller to look for an arch in the top of the guitar in question.

H550 tops and backs are completely flat. All Eagle tops are nicely arched.

User Info Menu

That's a single pickup H-550, which should be a great guitar. The headstock inlay, lack of cupids bow, the maple top, and type of tailpiece give it away.

You can tell it's a 17" guitar by the shape and the distance from the f holes to the rim.

Here is a pic of 3 Super Eagles. Note the f hole-to-rim distance and the more rounded shape. Ignore the Super 400s.

Heritage SE with a maple top?-super-eagle-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    That's a single pickup H-550, which should be a great guitar. The headstock inlay, lack of cupids bow, the maple top, and type of tailpiece give it away.

You can tell it's a 17" guitar by the shape and the distance from the f holes to the rim.

Here is a pic of 3 Super Eagles. Note the f hole-to-rim distance and the more rounded shape. Ignore the Super 400s.

Heritage SE with a maple top?-super-eagle-jpg
    Where should an H550 be priced? It seems (in the pics) to be in very good condition. Not $4k good, obviously...

User Info Menu

About $2K.