Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 27 of 27

User Info Menu

Not to hijack another thread...

Who here has bought something and hid it from their spouse? I have never done it with guitars—the divorce solved that problem—but I did it with power tools for awhile. I’m not proud of it, but there it is.

Here’s some good advice from Joe B. If it’s on Facebook, it must be legit!

Oh what a tangled web we weave...guitar edition-9190288b-1b85-46b0-9d89-4bd25d053d9e-jpg
    “Without music, life would be a mistake”--Friedrich Nietzsche

Current lineup: Gibson ES-135 ('02), Peerless Sunset, Harmony Brilliant Cutaway ('64), Godin 5th Avenue, Alvarez AC60 A/E classical, Kay K37 ('56), Fender Squier VM Jazz bass, several ukes. Amps: Fishman Artist, Fender SCXD, Pignose 7-100.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If you have to hide a purchase from your spouse he/she needs a new spouse. Or you both need a new spouse.

We once visited Elderly Instrument, I sat and played a little One Note Samba on a $6000 Ramirez. My wife said that sounds good buy it. I said it is $6000, she said so what get it. I didn't.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff View Post
    Not to hijack another thread...

Here’s some good advice from Joe B. If it’s on Facebook, it must be legit!

Oh what a tangled web we weave...guitar edition-9190288b-1b85-46b0-9d89-4bd25d053d9e-jpg

I made that very joke just yesterday.

I know someone who buys very expensive hand-made titanium frame bicycles - same trick, all the same colour.

I’ve been telling my girlfriend about how I’ve sold this or that guitar or other gear to pay for a new guitar or other gear. I may not have gone into how much was received or spent and the difference between the two

User Info Menu

as if joe bonamassa had a spouse...

User Info Menu

I s'pose everyone knows the Epi>Gibson swap trick.

User Info Menu

I've never hid a purchase, but when I die, do me a favor and don't let her sell the guitars for what I told her I paid for them.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

User Info Menu

Mr. B ----> This is priceless!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    I've never hid a purchase, but when I die, do me a favor and don't let her sell the guitars for what I told her I paid for them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    That's a famous one and could apply to just all of our "boys and their toys" hobbies.

User Info Menu

My partner said she can't tell the difference between my archtops. They all look the same to her.

The only guitars she can identify are my Les Paul Recording (has loads of knobs and switches) and my candy apple red '62 Telecaster Custom reissue (bright red....).

I do believe I can gradually acquire archtops without her knowing as long as they aren't too garish

User Info Menu

Hmm.. not telling your wife of a major purchase is basically lying to her. Not good.

If you can't afford it you shouldn't buy it.

If you can afford the guitar and it fits within other family priorities, hopefully your spouse will not only be supportive, but will be happy about you getting something you enjoy so much.

Just remember this when it's her turn.
    Hell is full of musical amateurs - George Bernard Shaw

User Info Menu

I should clarify - she is very supportive of me & my guitar playing. She just thinks archtops all look the same. To the uninitiated that is probably true. I've never felt the need to hide a purchase. If anything she is sick of me talking about it!

User Info Menu

Some of y’all have never been married, and it shows.

Last edited by Doctor Jeff; 09-09-2019 at 12:33 PM.

Current lineup: Gibson ES-135 ('02), Peerless Sunset, Harmony Brilliant Cutaway ('64), Godin 5th Avenue, Alvarez AC60 A/E classical, Kay K37 ('56), Fender Squier VM Jazz bass, several ukes. Amps: Fishman Artist, Fender SCXD, Pignose 7-100.

User Info Menu

I spend less on guitars in a year than my wife spends on her hair. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    B+
    Frank (aka fep)

User Info Menu

I am cheaper with myself than whatever censure I would get for buying an expensive guitar.

My wife is pretty frugal with her own purchases, but will spend for quality items that last. That, and she likes nice vacations, a nice car, and occasion-appropriate jewelry. He attitude is, if you can afford it, you shouldn't deny yourself. When I was shopping new cars, an Audi A7 was on my short list, and she encouraged me to buy it if I wanted. But I couldn't get over the sticker shock, so I bought a Buick!

So I could go buy an L-5, and she'd be OK with it- as long as I didn't cry poor afterwards.

User Info Menu

For the last few years I have kept a couple (or three) guitars in boxes under our front entry stairs. They are clearly visible. As a new guitar came in a box would disappear because I sold the guitar that was in it. I am down to two boxes now and honestly feel as though they will disappear without me getting another guitar to replenish the cycle. Our place is too small for any more guitars. I have 11, counting a bass that I hardly ever pick up. I am actually content with guitars. Amps? Now maybe I will mess with that aspect for a while. No current plans though. Like I said, our place is small. Once we sell and move to a larger place I am not sure that I will add much except for recording equipment. That aspect of my musicality has lagged way behind everything else by far.

User Info Menu

My wife spends her money on home improvements, I spend my money on iconic guitars.

I think our children are going to have a huge windfall when we are gone.

User Info Menu

My wife says she prefers one my guitars over the others -- "the brown one", one of two sunbursts I have. I think that means I can have as many sunbursts as a I want ;-)

But seriously, we're so pinched for space that I have a self imposed one-in, one-out policy. But if we ever move into a bigger place (or if the offspring ever leave) ...

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg View Post
    as if joe bonamassa had a spouse...
    Ah, but he does have a clear plastic amp!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B View Post
    Ah, but he does have a clear plastic amp!
    I don't know if he's married or not, but he does get to play with Beth Hart on a frequent basis. Everytime I see one of her videos I have to take a beta-blocker.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66 View Post
    That's a famous one and could apply to just all of our "boys and their toys" hobbies.
    Yes, I definitely can't take credit for it!
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410 View Post
    Hmm.. not telling your wife of a major purchase is basically lying to her. Not good.

If you can't afford it you shouldn't buy it.

If you can afford the guitar and it fits within other family priorities, hopefully your spouse will not only be supportive, but will be happy about you getting something you enjoy so much.

Just remember this when it's her turn.
    High horse, walk in the other man's shoes, etc...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound View Post
    High horse, walk in the other man's shoes, etc...
    If the other shoe's involve buying expensive items for your hobby that your family cannot afford and/or lying to your wife about such purchases, no thanks. It's one thing to have a weakness for guitars. It's quite another to lack the basic ethics and integrity required to function in a family unit.
    Hell is full of musical amateurs - George Bernard Shaw

User Info Menu

After we got married the wife came up with the mandate that I can buy whatever I want as long as she then can go get something of equal or greater value. Really does help curb the buying urge.

User Info Menu

The secret to success of my current relationship is completely separate checking accounts. We share expenses even when eating out. I don't bug her about her shoe or jewelry-making purchases, and she doesn't bug me about my cars or guitars. It helps that we both have reasonable disposable incomes, I won't lie.

Re' my former marriage...sometimes you find yourself in a relationship with someone who becomes slowly but increasingly over the years a control freak. One response is to not be 100% open about every single decision you make. It happens. I don't think anyone enjoys being a sneak, well most people don't--there are sociopaths, of course.

But as the song goes, "Find the cost of freedom." In my case it was expensive lawyer's fees and a lot of money a month. It would have been cheaper to stay married and keep things under the rug so to speak, but I do sleep better at night now. The first thing I did after the divorce was to get a real jazz guitar. I could barely afford it, but I didn't have to argue with anyone about it but myself.
    Last edited by Doctor Jeff; 09-11-2019 at 01:57 PM.

User Info Menu

My wife discovered all my guitars and gave me an ultimatum: either they go or she goes.

I’m going to miss her.

User Info Menu

No, never did that. My wife is supporting, and trusting. I try to reward that behavior with honesty, which is my preference anyway.

Besides, every single time she hears me playing the old Guild X50 through the Polytone MB II, she says "That's such a beautiful sound ... especially through that amp." How did I get so lucky?? (with guitars, with wife.)

User Info Menu

My buddy always wanted a hot Mercedes convertible. One day he came home "unconsulted" with a 450. She freaked out, made him get back in the car with her and they actually returned it. On the way back home she had him pull into the VW dealer,and she agreed to a yellow Beetle convertible. Funny.