The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 67

User Info Menu

I have not done a NGD in two years and in all honesty, I thought I was pretty much done buying guitars. There was one last guitar on my bucket list, a Gibson L-5CESN. And now I have crossed that off my list.

Why this last guitar? Well in 1973, my high school pal Don Y. turned me on to jazz. He played a Wes Montgomery record for me and I was hooked for life (Wes gave me a lantern and showed me the path). The album was titled "The Incredible Guitar of Wes Montgomery". Incredible indeed. The next day, I went down to my local record store in search of a Wes Montgomery recording. I found a double album under the Milestone label entitled "Wes and Friends". On the cover Wes was holding a Gibson L-5CESN. I was 14 years old and wanted one. Three years later, I was studying jazz guitar at NYU with studio guitar master Allen hanlon. Allen let me play his 50's Gibson L-5CESN while at his studio. The very same one in the picture in this link:

Allen Hanlon |

I wanted one even more. Over the years a good deal never presented itself for a Gibson L-5CESN. Until now. Fellow forumite Cincy2 offered his recently acquired guitar in a revived thread for a seriously good price. I pounced and now at 61 years of age, I have a Gibson L-5 CESN.

Cincy2, by the way was a superb seller! The guitar arrived with no shipping issues (Thank you FEDEX!) and I took her out and tuned her up. I knew that the original pickups had been swapped for some handmade Kent Armstrong PAF's (in gloss Black) but the originals were included. I wanted to give the KA pickups a fair shake and guess what? I love them! They stay. I swapped the gold TOM for an Ebony saddle (a genuine vintage Gibson saddle gifted to me some years ago by fellow forumite Vinny2K, Thank you Vinny!) as i prefer a wood saddle and the guitar looked almost right. The amber knobs needed to be swapped as well. No problem as I prefer speed knobs to top hats in any case. A set of Gibson black speed knobs were sourced and the guitar looks great to my eyes. Purists might scoff at a non-stock guitar, but not me. I am a long time Harley rider. We like our stuff customized.

The guitar was sold as a 2002 model and there is a Jim Hutchins label in the bass side F-hole dated December 16, 2002. But the serial number indicates a January 2003 completion date. The guitar and case are in fine condition, a few small dings and some finish checks being the only signs of age. Except for the tailpiece. Either Cincy 2 or his seller (the original owner) used metal polish on the tailpiece and the gold is gone. No problem as it now matches the Black hardware just fine to my eyes. Remember, I am a Harley guy and Black and chrome is our thing.

The neck is a D- profile and with a truss rod adjustment I got her down to feeler gauge action and installed a new set of TI 12 gauge flats. She plays like butter, sounds like a goddess and is as beautiful a guitar as I have ever owned. She weighs 7 pounds 7 ounces (very light for this model) and is very loud acoustically. I was concerned about possible feedback, but last night, I used her on a gig with no issues.

I have a 1996 WESMO and I have to say, I prefer the CES. Less feedback and a slightly warmer and thicker tone. Every player will have to answer that debate for themselves.

Well I can say with certainty that this is my last guitar purchase.........until the next one.

Oh Yeah, pictures or it didn't happen right? The first bunch was taken after I took her out of the box. The last picture is with the new saddle and knobs. 2003 Gibson L-5CESN-l5cesn1-jpg2003 Gibson L-5CESN-l5cesn2-jpg2003 Gibson L-5CESN-l-5cesn3-jpg2003 Gibson L-5CESN-l-5cesn4-jpg2003 Gibson L-5CESN-l-5cesn5-jpg2003 Gibson L-5CESN-l-5cesn6-jpg2003 Gibson L-5CESN-l5inblack-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Congrats, beautiful guitar. May she inspire your playing for years to come!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by v281
    Congrats, beautiful guitar. May she inspire your playing for years to come!
    Thanks! At my age, I will be happy just having years to come!

User Info Menu

Wow. I don't think I've ever seen any other picture of Wes Montgomery with a natural/blonde guitar.

Congratulations and I would love to hear you play that beauty.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Wow. I don't think I've ever seen any other picture of Wes Montgomery with a natural/blonde guitar.

The next time you come to California, let's get together and you will!

User Info Menu

Stringswinger, congratulations on this gorgeous beauty! I also have a 2003 L5CESN which is one of my two "alltime favorites" and i can imagine that yours is equivalent to it!

User Info Menu

SS that is fantastic and a real beauty. I must admit I am bit more fond of the pickups that are gold plated. It looks great but to bad they are not all gold I think it would look better than it already does. Play as a tune on it and gives up a video I would love too, to hear to play.

User Info Menu

The old Harley saying: Chrome won’t get you home.
    The stealth look works. Take it all the way. Powder coat the tailpiece gloss black and get the center medallion gold plated. Black with gold highlights....cool.
    Stunning woods ! Congrats Marco .

User Info Menu

Attachment 64926
    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone

User Info Menu

Wow that's beautiful, I love any L5, but especially blondes! I just got my first about a month ago. They're not just incredible guitars, they're an experience to own and behold. Congratulations!

User Info Menu

Great story, ss! Congratulations, and play it in good health for many years to come!

User Info Menu

Again, this was a great deal for both parties, cincy2 let it go for a "get it sold immediately" price and the right guy got it imo. SS mentioned a blonde CES was on his bucket list for some time now.
    Enjoy that one, cool thing is that baby will no longer be a closet queen, you know he'll work it!

btw, I was pretty sure you'd dig the twin pickup configuration, I was having a ball working the past 2 nights blending the pickups on my old '69 L-5.

Great figuring on that Blonde bombshell. Well deserved to a great guitarist. I like the black and tan look.

User Info Menu

Very Happy L5 NGD to you!!!

User Info Menu

"Fairest of them all?"

Very blonde & beautiful, congratulations!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNote
    Stringswinger, congratulations on this gorgeous beauty! I also have a 2003 L5CESN which is one of my two "alltime favorites" and i can imagine that yours is equivalent to it!
    Thank you. As a new member of the L-5CES club, I have to say. I get it. Until one is a full on member, you cannot fully understand how great these guitars are.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    SS that is fantastic and a real beauty. I must admit I am bit more fond of the pickups that are gold plated. It looks great but to bad they are not all gold I think it would look better than it already does. Play as a tune on it and gives up a video I would love too, to hear to play.
    You need to get one of these Mark. Only a Gibson is good enough...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    The old Harley saying: Chrome won’t get you home.
    The stealth look works. Take it all the way. Powder coat the tailpiece gloss black and get the center medallion gold plated. Black with gold highlights....cool.
    Stunning woods ! Congrats Marco .
    If I can find one of those 80's L-5 tailpiece inserts in Ebony for a reasonable price, I am going for it....Thanks Vinny! All those wooden saddles you gave me have now found homes on my guitars.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 6v6ster
    Wow that's beautiful, I love any L5, but especially blondes! I just got my first about a month ago. They're not just incredible guitars, they're an experience to own and behold. Congratulations!
    Thank you! Everything you wrote is spot on.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Great story, ss! Congratulations, and play it in good health for many years to come!
    Thanks K, I am hoping for both the health and the many years (another 30 years would be just right).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Again, this was a great deal for both parties, cincy2 let it go for a "get it sold immediately" price and the right guy got it imo. SS mentioned a blonde CES was on his bucket list for some time now.
    Enjoy that one, cool thing is that baby will no longer be a closet queen, you know he'll work it!

btw, I was pretty sure you'd dig the twin pickup configuration, I was having a ball working the past 2 nights blending the pickups on my old '69 L-5.
    Yep, you were right about me digging it and you are right about her case queen days being over! Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rhoadsscholar
    Great figuring on that Blonde bombshell. Well deserved to a great guitarist. I like the black and tan look.
    Thanks RS! I dig the black and tan look myself.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt
    Very Happy L5 NGD to you!!!
    Thank you sir!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rabbit
    "Fairest of them all?"

Very blonde & beautiful, congratulations!
    And a very fair deal to boot! Thanks!

User Info Menu

Congrats Stringswinger. Very nice story. Everything comes one day or another to the righteous.

Cheers.