The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 67 of 67

User Info Menu

Stringswinger,

Awesome. I know that you are a long-time ES-175 guy. I was, too. However, the big L-5 CES is an unbelievable jazz instrument--especially for someone who, like you and me--was knocked out by Wes a long, long time ago.

I'm glad that you were able to check this off your bucket list.

GT

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    Neither will a Harley :-) Ouch :-)

That's a seriously nice L5 in my fave color, good luck with it.
    Thanks Gary! Like Gibson guitars, Harley's can be problematic to be sure. I have been riding Hogs for about 40 years now and had to become a veritable motorcycle mechanic in order to insure that I always get home (only once did I have to have a bike towed in all those years). And the newer Hogs (built after 1986) are reliable enough that someone without any mechanical skills can ride them and predictably make it home.

Blonde's are my favorite too. I even married one

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Stringswinger,

Awesome. I know that you are a long-time ES-175 guy. I was, too. However, the big L-5 CES is an unbelievable jazz instrument--especially for someone who, like you and me--was knocked out by Wes a long, long time ago.

I'm glad that you were able to check this off your bucket list.

GT
    GT,

I think the 175 is the superior gigging instrument for public performances. It's laminate construction makes it a more durable road warrior and it's shorter scale makes it easier to play. And my other major guitar hero, Joe Pass played one . But for sheer beauty and tone, the L-5CES is indeed an unbelievable instrument for jazz. I am glad I got to experience being the caretaker of one of these amazing guitars. Better late than never!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Thanks Gary! Like Gibson guitars, Harley's can be problematic to be sure. I have been riding Hogs for about 40 years now and had to become a veritable motorcycle mechanic in order to insure that I always get home (only once did I have to have a bike towed in all those years). And the newer Hogs (built after 1986) are reliable enough that someone without any mechanical skills can ride them and predictably make it home.

Blonde's are my favorite too. I even married one
    Congrats SS on your new Blond! I'm sure you'll make her sing. Guess I'm in the minority here, however Harleys never did anything close to excite me. Italian motorcycles are my bag. Currently two Ducatis in the stable, a 05 999S and a 96 900SS/SP. Only Italian bike that ever left me stranded was a Laverda. And yes, being able to turn a wrench is helpful for this obsession.
    As the saying goes-I love Harleys I pass them all the time!
    Attached Images Attached Images 2003 Gibson L-5CESN-mechanics-out-riders-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SierraTango
    Congrats SS on your new Blond! I'm sure you'll make her sing. Guess I'm in the minority here, however Harleys never did anything close to excite me. Italian motorcycles are my bag. Currently two Ducatis in the stable, a 05 999S and a 96 900SS/SP. Only Italian bike that ever left me stranded was a Laverda. And yes, being able to turn a wrench is helpful for this obsession.
    As the saying goes-I love Harleys I pass them all the time!
    Thanks ST!

I have always been a fan of Euro bikes (I had a Norton Commando and a Triumph Bonneville back in the day) and I dig Ducatis. I never really liked rice burners much (though I did have a couple of Multi Cylinder Yamahas back in the day).

As far as being passed goes, everyone passes me these days. Going fast is no longer important. Arriving safe and sound is my prime directive when riding the big two wheelers.

User Info Menu

Thanks ST!

I have always been a fan of Euro bikes (I had a Norton Commando and a Triumph Bonneville back in the day) and I dig Ducatis. I never really liked rice burners much (though I did have a couple of Multi Cylinder Yamahas back in the day).

As far as being passed goes, everyone passes me these days. Going fast is no longer important. Arriving safe and sound is my prime directive when riding the big two wheelers.
    A fellow rider with a Hayabusa brags about how he passes everyone on the road... when we've been riding he's regularly pointing towards his gas tank (rider signal for needing to top off) and once when we were stopped for fuel he started "I can pass everything on the road" nonsense, I said, yup, EXCEPT for a gas station :-) He started to be quiet from then on.

User Info Menu

Thanks ST!

Sorry for the thread drift SS. Don't want to keep you from your new Blonde!
    I admit to having a Triumph Tiger in the garage as well. Both Ducatis are solo bikes, so the Tiger gets the longer trips two up.
    All in good fun!
    Attached Images Attached Images 2003 Gibson L-5CESN-kern-mindi-jpg 

User Info Menu

a beauty, your story made me go back and listen to the incredible album again...

User Info Menu

A beautiful L5 that is going to an actual player and not going to spend its life in some collectors closet.......win win!

congrats Stringswinger!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SierraTango
    Sorry for the thread drift SS. Don't want to keep you from your new Blonde!
    I admit to having a Triumph Tiger in the garage as well. Both Ducatis are solo bikes, so the Tiger gets the longer trips two up.
    All in good fun!
    ST, I see we both like Blondes! Yours is a beauty.

And your wife is pretty hot as well . A Benedetto Cremona and a beautiful wife.....you are a lucky man indeed.

Thread drift involving motorcycles and /or women is always ok by me. IMO, guitars, motorcycles and women are the best things in life (and not necessarily in that order).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ptuner1
    a beauty, your story made me go back and listen to the incredible album again...
    I listen to that album often. On the original album cover, Wes is pictured with an ES-175. I wonder what guitar was actually used on that recording? I have heard that Wes borrowed a Gibson L-7 from Kenny Burrell for that record.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by callouscallus
    A beautiful L5 that is going to an actual player and not going to spend its life in some collectors closet.......win win!

congrats Stringswinger!
    Thanks! She has now been on a couple of gigs and will have many more in the future. Great instruments should be shared with the world, IMO.

User Info Menu

ST, I see we both like Blondes! Yours is a beauty.

And your wife is pretty hot as well . A Benedetto Cremona and a beautiful wife.....you are a lucky man indeed.

Thread drift involving motorcycles and /or women is always ok by me. IMO, guitars, motorcycles and women are the best things in life (and not necessarily in that order).
    Thanks for understanding the thread drift. My better half is a trooper, the only complaint she has-sometimes I forget I'm riding a passenger and not solo-so she "mentions" that I need to slow down a bit for her comfort level. Yep, she's a little hottie for sure!
    At 63 years old, I'm very fortunate and blessed. It's so great to see such a talented and caring person such as SS enjoying a beautiful L-5CES and his other incredible instruments, however the best part is they are actually being used for what they were built for-bringing joy and music into the world.

Cheers to your next gig with "Blonde"
    Attached Images Attached Images 2003 Gibson L-5CESN-999-greenhorn-2-jpg 

User Info Menu

Motorcycles and Gibson L5s? Well you know me.... No criticisms here!
    2003 Gibson L-5CESN-14409673_10154542331419860_6163802112319652789_o-jpg

User Info Menu

StringSchwinger,

Congrats, and thanks for the confirmation that they are indeed a bit different from the Wesmo's. I fell in love with that same pic from that double album, probably around the same time, early 70's. I still need one of those, exactly like the pic (and I have a Wesmo that I love). For those who have not seen the bottom half of this double re-issue vinyl album:

2003 Gibson L-5CESN-r-2687479-1475093903-3485-png-jpg

User Info Menu

Thanks Yebdox. It was 1973 when I bought that album and wanted a Blonde L-5 CES. Now I have one. It sounds like you need one too. It is indeed a different guitar from the WESMO.

User Info Menu

Thanks Yebdox. It was 1973 when I bought that album and wanted a Blonde L-5 CES. Now I have one. It sounds like you need one too. It is indeed a different guitar from the WESMO.
    yes, that was my first Wes Montgomery lp as well [a '2-fer' as they used to say]
    I saw him w/that late 50s blonde L-5 and was determined to get one some day after listening to the records
    eventually did buy one around 40 yrs ago, though a 70's model [only $900, a decent deal, but that wasn't cheap then!]
    my second good electric after an ES-175, it was heavier, felt solid, had all that binding, pearl torch headstock inlay, all the gold hardware including the cool big engraved tailpiece. Plus the point, or cupids bow at the end of the luxurious ebony board w/ big pearl blocks topped it off.
    oh, and the 'custom' truss rod cover--of course they're not custom, but that sure makes it sound special.
    remember it like yesterday, like going from a Chevy to a Rolls, probably spent almost as much time looking at it as playing it.
    you never forget your first....