The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 67

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Archtop
    Congrats Stringswinger. Very nice story. Everything comes one day or another to the righteous.

Cheers.
    Thanks! This guitar sure is righteous.....me, I always do my best and keep my word. So far it has worked out quite well.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Looks great, SS, and it is, I imagine, happy to find itself in good hands. Have fun together.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Looks great, SS, and it is, I imagine, happy to find itself in good hands. Have fun together.
    Thanks Rob! I think we are well suited. It seems that I get along quite well with Gibson L-5's.

User Info Menu

Its all been said already SS, it is a great acquisition and forumites
    in their numbers have declared so, you will cherish that guitar for
    sure. Have many years of enjoyment with it

Best 007

User Info Menu

So glad she went to a good home. Best of luck!

Cincy

User Info Menu

It’s a beauty! Congrats!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger

I have a 1996 WESMO and I have to say, I prefer the CES. Less feedback and a slightly warmer and thicker tone. Every player will have to answer that debate for themselves.
    I wonder if there is a construction difference between WesMo's and CES's other than having or not having the bridge pickup. I've at times removed the bridge pickup from my archtops, it may affect the feedback resistance but it doesn't change the amplified tone very much. Without the bridge pickup, sound gets slightly more open and less compressed, but it doesn't get brighter and thinner. WesMo's are built with thinner top and braces perhaps.

User Info Menu

That's a beauty. Another model I'd like to try but maybe I shouldn't with my GAS hstory.

I'm kind of new here but after reading a lot of the OP's posts I'm glad it wound up with him if that makes sense. Also glad it stayed here in family.

Big congrats!!

User Info Menu

Marco, you can make a book of matches sound great. I’m sure this guitar is gonna make a lot of people smile.
    You have picked the greatest guitars of all time to make your own. The connection between L5’s and DA’s is undeniable. You must walk into your guitar room every night and feel proud of the things you’ve accomplished and life you have lived. You made great moves Marco. Always a kind word and you even set people back into their place in a gentlemanly way.
    You deserve everything you got.
    Enjoy this guitar and many others to come. You are not done. Not by a long shot.
    Joe D

Just lovely Ss! Congrats, HNGD and play her in good health!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    Its all been said already SS, it is a great acquisition and forumites
    in their numbers have declared so, you will cherish that guitar for
    sure. Have many years of enjoyment with it

Best 007
    Thanks 007. Your past comments about the superior tone of the CES vs. the WESMO were, IMO, correct. And to be sure, the WESMO is a great guitar (as is the Super 400CES, which I also have in my collection), but for an electric archtop, the Gibson L-5CES is "King of the hill".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cincy2
    So glad she went to a good home. Best of luck!

Cincy
    Thanks again Cincy. Keeping these great archtops in the JGF family is a wonderful thing!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M.
    It’s a beauty! Congrats!
    Thank you sir!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    I wonder if there is a construction difference between WesMo's and CES's other than having or not having the bridge pickup. I've at times removed the bridge pickup from my archtops, it may affect the feedback resistance but it doesn't change the amplified tone very much. Without the bridge pickup, sound gets slightly more open and less compressed, but it doesn't get brighter and thinner. WesMo's are built with thinner top and braces perhaps.
    I believe the WESMO has one less brace in addition to the one less pickup. I think that additional brace adds to the warm and thick tone of the CES. I love my WESMO and will be keeping her as well, but the CES is the better guitar and being more feedback resistant is also the more "useful" guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 73Fender
    That's a beauty. Another model I'd like to try but maybe I shouldn't with my GAS hstory.

I'm kind of new here but after reading a lot of the OP's posts I'm glad it wound up with him if that makes sense. Also glad it stayed here in family.

Big congrats!!
    Thanks! IMO, it makes perfect sense that it wound up with me. Now I know how lottery winners feel.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Marco, you can make a book of matches sound great. I’m sure this guitar is gonna make a lot of people smile.
    You have picked the greatest guitars of all time to make your own. The connection between L5’s and DA’s is undeniable. You must walk into your guitar room every night and feel proud of the things you’ve accomplished and life you have lived. You made great moves Marco. Always a kind word and you even set people back into their place in a gentlemanly way.
    You deserve everything you got.
    Enjoy this guitar and many others to come. You are not done. Not by a long shot.
    Joe D
    Thanks JD. As I approach my 62nd birthday (3 months away), I look back on a life well lived, but indeed I am not done. There is more music to be played. Having the gift to play music well carries a responsibility, namely to use that gift. I am still out about 4 nights each week making the music happen. I am back up to 10 archtops (two of which once belonged to you) and all say either Gibson or D'Angelico on the headstock. These are the guitars that inspire my playing. Every player must find the right instrument(s) to make their journey a success. So far, so good here.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blues
    Just lovely Ss! Congrats, HNGD and play her in good health!
    Thank you sir!

User Info Menu

Beautiful! Enjoy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    Beautiful! Enjoy.
    Thank you!

User Info Menu

Beautiful guitar in very capable hands! Enjoy!!

User Info Menu

My L5ces is indeed a very inspiring guitar to play. Hard to quantify, but it's there. Also for some reason my VOS1959 ES175 inspires me. I seem to play at my best on those two instruments. I get to CA every few years, so next time I'm headed that way, I want to hear that beauty.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D'Aquisto Fan
    Beautiful guitar in very capable hands! Enjoy!!
    Thanks! It is a good thing that a real D'Aquisto never made it on to my bucket list. I would have to give up being a musician and go back to practicing law to cross one of those off my list.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    My L5ces is indeed a very inspiring guitar to play. Hard to quantify, but it's there. Also for some reason my VOS1959 ES175 inspires me. I seem to play at my best on those two instruments. I get to CA every few years, so next time I'm headed that way, I want to hear that beauty.
    Looking forward to it Lawson! And I have guitars for you to play, including a VOS 1959 ES-175.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Looking forward to it Lawson! And I have guitars for you to play, including a VOS 1959 ES-175.
    I imagine anything in your harem would be splendid musical company during a visit. I have sporadic speaking engagements in CA near San Jose, and friends in Santa Barbara, so somehow it's got to happen.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    The old Harley saying: Chrome won’t get you home.
    >>SNIP<<
    Neither will a Harley :-) Ouch :-)

That's a seriously nice L5 in my fave color, good luck with it.