The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum, it's nice to become a part of this community! My story is this. I am not a newbie guitar player, in fact, I have about 10 years of experience in other genres than jazz. But recently I really started to dig into this style and really want to get myself a jazzy guitar. My budget for this is pretty low actually, about 500€ ish (so about 550$, right?). The thing is, that I have an endorsement deal with Fender from my other musical activities and they also let me pick up a Gretsch with a -50% discount. I was looking at G5420, G5422 also the G100CE archtop. Stuff like that. But I am not sure if I like them for jazz. Maybe there are other guitars that it would be worth cheking out at this price point? What would you guys do in my situation?

Thank you in advance!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

There are no jazz guitars. There are guitars upon which one plays jazz. If. Gretsch rings your bells, feels good and sounds good to you, it will become a jazz guitar as you become a jazz player. For $500 there are a few used guitars available, but try out the Gretsch stuff available to you.

User Info Menu

I would get the G100CE. I haven’t played one but it is specifically designed for a jazzy tone.

Yeah, I know there is no such thing, but my Charvel 7 string with Air Norton pickups will not do well for me right here, haha. I forgot to say that there is no possibility for me to try any of these guitars in my country. Just wanted to ask for your input, so thank you for your answer. Can you name some used guitars that you mentioned?

User Info Menu

The pickups in Gretsch and Gretsch-like guitars are voiced a little different than your other typical humbucking pickups usually associated with a "JAZZY" tone but non-the-less they are certainly and absolutely useable and capable for your intentions. A measured dosage of outboard eq and some amp-tweaking will get you there for sure ! Those guitars are very playable and when you can get one of those at that price point then don't hesitate.

Thank you gitman, that's basically all I need to pull the trigger.

User Info Menu

If you have a deal with Fender, get a Telecaster - can't get any better jazz guitar, unless you just want the 'look' of an archtop.

User Info Menu

Ibanez. Several models around that price point. One with Super 58 pickup(s) will get you started and serve as a gigging tool for years if you want to protect the more expensive ones to come.

User Info Menu

I'm with Skip. If you already have a deal with Fender the focus on which Tele will work best and how it ought to be set up for the best results. It's been well proven as a viable instrument in almost all subgenres of jazz.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis
    If you have a deal with Fender, get a Telecaster - can't get any better jazz guitar, unless you just want the 'look' of an archtop.
    This, and Welcome to the Forum!

Marc

User Info Menu

+1 for the Tele and here's one reason why:

User Info Menu

Get thee a Tele. Some of the models have a humbucker in the neck. Read the pinned Tele thread.

Yeah, well... The deal with Fender is not actually a "Fender" deal as funny as it sounds. I can only choose between Jackson, Charvel and Gretsch guitars, but not Fenders, haha. Charvel have telecasters but these are too "rockish" it seems.

User Info Menu

I just assumed that you already had some type of Fender, and a Tele would be a good choice for sure. I still don’t think that you could go wrong with the G100CE for the price that you will pay.

User Info Menu

Gretsch...voicing. For years I played jazz on two Gretsch CA 6120 Nashvilles. They both had Filtertron pickups. On the neck pickup, each guitar got a great jazz tone, as it happens.

I believe both Ed Bickert and Buddy Fite also played the Nashville, as some point in their careers.

User Info Menu

As stated earlier it's not the guitar itself. It's what you feel most comfortable playing music on. It's just a tool to make music with.
    The reason hollow body and archtop guitars are synonymous with Jazz. Is because that's what was basically the norm in those days.

If you are looking for a different tool capable of different feel and tones .That is when buying another guitar makes the most sense. Best of luck!