The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 35 of 35

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    read the post above yours.
    I did. You may have a problem with non-slip straps. I don't.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    I did. You may have a problem with non-slip straps. I don't.
    do you play standing?

User Info Menu

do you play standing?
    Sometimes.

User Info Menu

Sometimes.
    A neck heavy guitar is rarely an issue sitting imo. It's standing where that solution is not optimal

User Info Menu

A neck heavy guitar is rarely an issue sitting imo. It's standing where that solution is not optimal
    Yes. Standing and playing a guitar lacking good balance is the topic under discussion. Using either a neotech or suede strap on a Korean D'Angelico EX-SS works fine for me. Slippery leather, not so much.

OP here (from 3 1/2 years ago). Actually, the guitar in question is an acoustic flat top that I play seated only. Doesn't even have a strap button.

BTW, it is only slightly neck heavy (again, when seated), and the issue is a minor irritation. I wouldn't even call it neck dive - even though I did call it that in the thread title, which in my mind implies something more severe.
    Last edited by FourOnSix; 02-03-2023 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Afterthought

User Info Menu

IME, it’s an issue both sitting and standing. Either way, the fretting hand is holding the neck up, which is the aspect that annoys me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    IME, it’s an issue both sitting and standing. Either way, the fretting hand is holding the neck up, which is the aspect that annoys me.
    I only have one neck heavy guitar and it's a small body semi. Not much of a sample space. But when I play seated the strap, my knee. and body hold the guitar in check. Guess different players hold their guitars in different ways.

User Info Menu

I only have one neck heavy guitar and it's a small body semi. Not much of a sample space. But when I play seated the strap, my knee. and body hold the guitar in check. Guess different players hold their guitars in different ways.
    I play with the guitar held up fairly high on a strap, unsupported by my lap (at least the smaller bodies). But i don’t have any neck-heavy guitars anymore, so it’s moot.

User Info Menu

Not sure how I managed, but I played an LP/SG for 6 or 7 years, almost always on my feet. And it had the old milk-bottle Grovers.

I think it had to do with wearing it higher than an rock god to were my right elbow on the body kept it in check. I don't even remember that one being neck heavy, but surely it must've been. Haven't had a problem with it since.

Guitar Neck Dive-sg-les-paul2-jpeg