The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 47 of 47

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RonJ
    Didn't Rosenwinkel use one of these for a couple years?

D'Angelico NYSS-3B

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I own an EX-SS in natural with the stairstep tailpiece but not the new model. Now I feel tempted by the new ones with the better pickups, split coil option e.c.

When I bought my guitar the stop tail piece version wasn't available here in Europe - but now it is.

My question: Did anyone play these two models side by side and could give me a little description about the difference in sound?

My guess is that the stop tail piece version sounds more like a typical semi (say like my Yamaha SA2200) where as the stairstep model principally sounds like the one I have.

Pictures for illustration:

D'Angelico EX-SS - Opinions?-ex2-jpgD'Angelico EX-SS - Opinions?-xe1-jpg

User Info Menu

I imagine it might just feel more different than it would sound. BTW, that's a beautiful sunburst shade.

User Info Menu

Don't think the bridge/tailpiece is going to make a huge difference since in either case it's sitting on a solid block.

As for pickups, they are easy to swap. I had Seymour Duncan P Rails installed in my SS with push/pull knobs. It's a fun setup.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    Don't think the bridge/tailpiece is going to make a huge difference since in either case it's sitting on a solid block.
    Sorry no, the stop tail piece version has the typical solid center block all (most) semis have, the stairstep model has only 2 small sound posts giving it an almost archtop guitar sound. I have one.

@Woody, you're right... "archtop" is a spelling error.. makes me think... 8-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DonEsteban
    Sorry no, the stop tail piece version has the typical solid center block all (most) semis have, the stairstep model has only 2 small sound posts giving it an almost archtop guitar sound. I have one.
    Ah, I didn't know that. Then it IS different. You might want to double-check about whether the new stairstep is a solid block, or if it's like yours.

User Info Menu

@Woody, you're right... "archtop" is a spelling error.. makes me think... 8-)
    Interesting ... Is that a change? ISTR the stop-tail and stair-step versions of the EX SS having the same block under the bridge when I was semi-hollow shopping some years back. I have an EX DC with a stair-step, FWIW, and that has a full block.

John

User Info Menu

Must be a change Woody/John A.. could have sworn both models had a bridge only block when I bought mine as well. And not that long ago. But hey.. could be mistaken. Seems stop tailpiece models are a full centerblock now though I haven't looked inside one.

As for the EX SS with the trapeze tailpiece, yes.. I have one too. Here is what's under the bridge. Guitar back is to the left.. top w/pickup showing a bit on the right which provides scale to the block. It's 4 to 4.5 inches wide. Wouldn't really describe the block as '2 small sound posts' but I suppose such things are given to subjectivity. Certainly adequate for the intended purpose. But it is not a full centerblock like an ES335. Which is, of course, a good thing unless you're looking for a more purely electric instrument. And if they have put a full centerblock in the trapeze bridge model then that would pretty much ruin it from my perspective.

D'Angelico EX-SS - Opinions?-img_0166-jpg
    Last edited by Spook410; 09-05-2019 at 02:01 AM.

User Info Menu

My Excel EX-SS has the stairstep and I like it a lot. I played a stop TP in a store but cannot say how they compare as I did not play them at the same time.

I think D'Angelico is about the only fairly large or well known maker that does not have a web site. Too bad they seem really closed lip about their brand.

That said the Excel EX-SS came in (AFAIK) three "generations"

The first had 3 piece split pearloid markers on an ebony FB, and only a stairstep tp was available, the back of the head had a large pearloid diamond inlay like the MIJ NY-SS models do. The second "gen" had solid markers on a rosewood FB, but some later ones (just before the more recent offering) had "ovangkol" FB's with either a stop or stairstep TP, and the third (current) gen again has split markers (split with ablone) with rosewood FB.

The latest gen has THE nicest burst.

PS, I had no interest in the Deluxe, Premier, Shoreline, or Fabrizio EX-SS models.
    Last edited by GNAPPI; 09-06-2019 at 01:37 AM.

User Info Menu

They feel different. The extra length behind the bridge stretches when you deflect the string.

That gives a softer feel. OTOH, you have to bend further (that is, move your left hand finger closer to the ceiling) to get to a specific pitch.

I prefer it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    My Excel EX-SS has the stairstep and I like it a lot. I played a stop TP in a store but cannot say how they compare as I did not play them at the same time.

I think D'Angelico is about the only fairly large or well known maker that does not have a web site. Too bad they seem really closed lip about their brand.

That said the Excel EX-SS came in (AFAIK) three "generations"

The first had 3 piece split pearloid markers on an ebony FB, and only a stairstep tp was available, the back of the head had a large pearloid diamond inlay like the MIJ NY-SS models do. The second "gen" had solid markers on a rosewood FB, but some later ones (just before the more recent offering) had "ovangkol" FB's with either a stop or stairstep TP, and the third (current) gen again has split markers (split with ablone) with rosewood FB.

The latest gen has THE nicest burst.

PS, I had no interest in the Deluxe, Premier, Shoreline, or Fabrizio EX-SS models.
    D'Angelico has a website
    D'Angelico Guitars | D'Angelico Guitars

Regarding generations, at least some of the earliest ones have spruce tops, ebony boards, and non-split inlays (my 2005 stairstep EX DC does). From what I can tell they frequently mix and match features

John

User Info Menu

Yes I saw the website and from the info there it seems that now all SS models have the center block. If that should be true it renders the decision to mere personal taste. Not too much difference in sound could be expected, just like Spook410 wrote further up.

To be sure that the website is correct here I sent them an inquiry but they haven't answered yet. We'll see...

User Info Menu

For anyone interested in the D'A "SS" models here's a screenshot of a spreadsheet I genned up with specs as best I could find. Thx to John A. I was able to fill in some blanks.

D'Angelico EX-SS - Opinions?-dangelico_ss_models-jpg

User Info Menu

Yes I saw the website and from the info there it seems that now all SS models have the center block. If that should be true it renders the decision to mere personal taste. Not too much difference in sound could be expected, just like Spook410 wrote further up.

To be sure that the website is correct here I sent them an inquiry but they haven't answered yet. We'll see...
    Have you heard back?

It seems as if change is the order of the day in D'Angelico of NJ/NY as the specs seem to be fluid on their models.
    I wrote several sellers of the newest EX-SS version asking if the block was "full" length like an ES-335 or like the previous models with a block just under the bridge, and also what the weight is, one reply was:

"Yes it is a full block and it weighs just under 8 LBS. "

This confirms cryptically described recent ads as being similar to what I was told about the NY-SS.

The new full length block model is heavier (~8 lb.) than previous versions and will likely feel much like the MIJ NY-SS, and correct tendency of the lighter earlier smaller block (~6lb. 10 oz.) models toward neck dive. But as it is, the full length block placed the newer EX-SS and NY-SS off of my radar screen unless one falls in my lap for silly buckazoids :-).

Recently I received a natural "earlier" (Gen 1) EX-SS which is appointed much like (Rear of head diamond, ebony FB and split markers) the NY-SS MIJ models.

The smaller block in the earlier model (Gen 1) seems to be a darker wood like walnut, with a longer wood spacer between it and the top that appears to be of the same darker wood the block is made from.

The later EX-SS (Gen 2) block seems to be a grainy pine sort of wood with a much shorter top spacer also similar to the wood used in its block. Both the Gen1 and 2 are acoustically equal (I'm using Elixir 10's) but the "Gen 1" has a noticeable fatter, mellower pup sound than the thinner sounding Gen 2. Both are different and pleasing enough to be very usable for me.

User Info Menu

I totally agree with all of what you write, Gary.

I tried to contact D'Angelico via email, web form and their Facebook page and got not a single response. That's not what I expect from a company that wants to sell a 1700 € M.i.K. guitar. So naturally I lost a bit of my interest here.

I'll keep my 2. gen. EX-SS, maybe put in some new pickups and new electronic one day as also the pots don't seem to be 1. grade quality (start to scratch already) and that'll be it.

Thanks everybody for contributing.

User Info Menu

FYI

I had asked them if they can confirm that all variants of the SS model now have the big center block or if the trapeze string holder model continues shipping with the mini block/sound post (or whatever you may call it).

I asked them via three channels (Email, contact form and Facebook).

Today - what date is it? - I receive a message consisting of exactly 1 sentence (yes one sentence, no salutation nor greeting) which I herewith quote for you to be excellently informed:

"We offer the Excel SS with either a stop tail or trapeze"
    That clears it up I think. Relieved to be in the know at last...

User Info Menu

DonEsteban,

I recently purchased a D'Angelico Deluxe SS with a stop tailpiece. Prior to purchasing it, I called the D'Angelico office and asked a representative whether the stairstep trapeze tailpiece models had a full center block (I was leaning toward the stop tailpiece models because of concerns you mentioned in an earlier post with the stairstep tailpiece). The representative told me that both versions had a full center block. After I received my D'Angelico Deluxe SS I looked inside the body and noticed that although it has a full center block, the block appears to be hollow (there are openings for the pickups through which you can see the block is not solid). I also own a D'Angelico Excel EX DC which has a regular center block like a 335. In comparing the tone of the the two guitars, the D'Angelico Deluxe SS definitely sounds more hollow. Hope this helps...

User Info Menu

Hi kencito, thanks for the information!

Meanwhile, after D'Angelico reacted so sluggishly, I lost interest in their guitars, not to the least because I also thought the price was somewhat questionable.

I the stumbled across an Ibanez AGS on the used market but in "as new condition", barely 2 months old. I acquired the guitar for a mere 350 € installed Gotoh hardware in gold and set in a pair of Ibanez Super 58 pickups that I had lying in a drawer. Total cost for my new guitar was less than 500€ and some hours of DIY.

Now I'm very satisfied with the instrument and couldn't be happier. The guitar is very resonant and competes easily with my Yamaha SA2200.

D'Angelico EX-SS - Opinions?-semihollowguitars-jpg

User Info Menu

About a year ago, I had one of these that was absolutely perfect, with one exception - a small block only under the bridge. It was neck heavy and less feedback resistant and I sold it right away.

When a new SS showed up in the store where I teach, I picked it off the wall to look
    inside, First thing I noticed was the full block. I contacted the company asking if this was a new design, and the artist relations guy responded, confirming my observations. He said the Addition of SD pickups with tapped wiring was the other improvement. He also confirmed that the neck heavy problem should be corrected by the the full block. I have yet to play it with a strap, so I don’t know for sure.

I can’t help but wonder if the stair step TP might provide a little more weight than the stop tail and would think it would help with the neck heavy issue, as well. Can anyone confirm this?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ScottM
    I can’t help but wonder if the stair step TP might provide a little more weight than the stop tail and would think it would help with the neck heavy issue, as well. Can anyone confirm this?
    I removed the tailpiece once out of curiosity and found it's is really heavy, much heavier then it would be necessary. So obviously it already serves as a counterweight. Without this extra weight (and a drastically reduced head stock) the guitar would be a dream with maybe 2 to 2,5 kilos or so.

So to me today the whole concept is kind of a faulty design. Building a small 15" guitar but insisting on a ridiculously oversized head stock, because, it's marketing, baby...

PS. I know head stock is actually reduced in size compared to the bigger models, but still....

User Info Menu

I have one with a center block only. I've cranked the volume up to what I would consider quite loud just out of curiosity on feedback. Never got there. Just how loud are you guys playing? Jazz-metal fusion?

As for neck dive I find it to be minimal. Still don't care for the headstock but the balance is good enough. Most of the online reviews came to the same conclusion.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    As for neck dive I find it to be minimal. Still don't care for the headstock but the balance is good enough. Most of the online reviews came to the same conclusion.
    Totally agree, that's why it's still here. Maybe calling it "Faulty Design" was a little harsh, sorry.