Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

I've been a fan of ZT's Lunchbox amps for a long time because of their rugged construction, ease of use, power, small size, and tone. When I heard they were coming out with a Jazz Club amp that would rival my Polytone, I felt like I needed to get one in my Capitol Hill Guitar Studio, in Seattle, WA.
    ZT Jazz Club Amp: Try it out in Seattle-b-w1sicmvzaxpliiwxmdawxsxbim1hecjdlfsid2uixv0-jpg

It's really simply just that we wanted to build an amp that had no restrictions in terms of frequency response and headroom - loud & clean as you'd ever need, with all the bottom end required for a big body guitar - and our design philosophy has always been minimalistic - not too many controls, but the ones we put on there are effective. No being overwhelmed with a dozen tone control knobs, offbeat shaping controls, etc. All the major components are sourced in the U.S. - cabinets made in Ohio, metal panels made locally in California, drivers made by Eminence in Kentucky. The only parts in there that aren't made in the U.S. are parts that are not made in the U.S. at all, which is a lot of small electronic components. The amp is build by our chief engineer (he also owns the company) and his assistant in our Benicia, California lab. And of course, we wanted to make it light enough to carry it without a struggle, so the driver is a neodymium magnet, very lightweight.

Reviews:
    Downbeat
    Guitar Player

It should arrive sometime around September 5th 2019, and I wanted to let you all know that I'm happy to let you try it out, if you'd like to make an appointment with me.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Update: I got the amp last night and a few of my students got to try it out. All of them were totally blown away by the tone. One made the comment: You can play a $100 guitar through this amp and it'll sound great, but you can't play a $1000 guitar through a crappy amp and have it sound good. Another student: It's like the perfect brownie, out of the oven about 20 minutes with the perfect balance of sweet gooey goodness on the inside and semi-crunch of the crust.

I've played my jazz box and some solid body guitars through it, and it sounds exactly like I want a jazz amp to sound.

I'm really excited to help get the word out about this amp. I've posted the specs and some reviews here, and I'll be uploading some videos there and on my other social medias soon.

Feel free to email if you'd like to set up an appointment in Seattle to check it out. LeadCatPress@gmail.com

User Info Menu

I’m interested in knowing how the ZT compares to the Henriksen. Anyone had the opportunity to try them both?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JCM View Post
    I’m interested in knowing how the ZT compares to the Henriksen. Anyone had the opportunity to try them both?
    Which model of Henriksen? Maybe I can get one in my studio so you can compare them. Do you happen to be in Seattle?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Palmer View Post
    Which model of Henriksen? Maybe I can get one in my studio so you can compare them. Do you happen to be in Seattle?
    Next time I visit Seattle I'll bring my Henriksen Blu. If I think I can handle the grief I'll get at the border, maybe I'll bring my Alfresco.

User Info Menu

I used to have ZT Lunchbox and I really liked the sound. It was my fav solid state amp. I understand the new ZT Club is the same only bigger.

I did try Henriksen Bud once, and I didn't like the tone at all. From what I can remember it had completely different tone. I think Henriksen amps aim for Polytone type of sound (which is my least fav of all amps). ZT is more like tube blues amp, it doesn't aim for pristine dry cleans.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive View Post
    I used to have ZT Lunchbox and I really liked the sound. It was my fav solid state amp. I understand the new ZT Club is the same only bigger.

I did try Henriksen Bud once, and I didn't like the tone at all. From what I can remember it had completely different tone. I think Henriksen amps aim for Polytone type of sound (which is my least fav of all amps). ZT is more like tube blues amp, it doesn't aim for pristine dry cleans.
    I've never tried the Bud, but I own the Blu and have played quite a bit through the ZT Lunchbox as well as the Jr and I actually think they sound quite similar to the Blu. The Blu has quite an 'electric' tone to it IMO (as opposed to "pristine dry clean"), definitely more 'electric' than my 2012 Mambo, but it is a very nice sound.

User Info Menu

I would be most interested in comparing the ZT Jazz Club to the Henriksen Jazz Amp (10 or 12). Both amps seem to be competing for the same space. The Bud seems to be a different animal (to me).

I’m not in Seattle, though, so unfortunately I can’t take up the kind offer to come by and test it myself. Many thanks, though!

User Info Menu

-- Isn't it crazy that "archtop" and "luthier" are spelling errors on this forum?

I'm waiting for the new lunchbox reverb model to become available! Hope I do have the funds for it though, cause a 1965 fender champ just came up locally...

User Info Menu

I really dig the blue covering. But at $1300, seems kinda high. You can get a Quilter MicroPro 12 HD that weighs several lbs less and does a whole lot more. And even cheaper on the used market. But of course I haven't tried the ZT, so I can't say how the sound compares.
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 09-12-2019 at 09:08 AM.
    -- Isn't it crazy that "archtop" and "luthier" are spelling errors on this forum?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter View Post
    I'm waiting for the new lunchbox reverb model to become available! Hope I do have the funds for it though, cause a 1965 fender champ just came up locally...
    yes I might buy one of the new Cab II's

should be interesting ....to see if jazz guys get into these
    i believe there's an Eminance Alpha 6A speaker in there
    (same as a Bud and Blu ?)

User Info Menu

It may be worth reminding readers of this thread that not everybody liked the original LB.

I read the reviews, which were positive, learned that some good players were using it and bought one.

I could not get a sound I liked out of it, at any volume or in any setting. It was basically useless.

Other players like it.

It sat in a closet for a couple of years -- in case I ever had to load-in via a long flight of stairs.

When I sold it, there were pieces chipped off the sides of the cabinet, even though I don't recall ever having dropped it or anything like that. It looked solidly made, but now I'm not so sure, even about that.

The new amp is pricey and there are some very good options for less money and less weight. I would strongly urge anyone to compare it to other amps and to buy it with a return privilege. I saw $1300 and 25 lbs.

yes I might buy one of the new Cab II's
    bear in mind they are not compatible with the older lunchbox amps. Not sure about details, but they say so in the site.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter View Post
    bear in mind they are not compatible with the older lunchbox amps. Not sure about details, but they say so in the site.
    yes I saw that too , thanks tho

I might team it up with a bam200

User Info Menu

From my experience, it is a totally different amp than the Lunchbox. It's true that there's not one amp that will please everyone (thank goodness), and you really do have to try it yourself to see. I posted a couple videos you can check below, and I'll be posting more when I have the time. I just got a new puppy, so I'm a little overwhelmed with cuteness at the moment.

Instagram #1
    Instagram #2

Again, you are welcome to email me me come check it yourself, if you're in Seattle.