The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

Do you know if anybody makes stylish humbucker cavity covers? Or at least with different choices of finishes.

I removed the bridge pickup of my ES 175 to put an end to subtle buzz, rattling, metallic overtones etc that bridge pickups are prone to do. Any unused pickup is also putting unnecessary magnetic force on the strings and limiting their vibrations a bit . There is also the effect of their weight on the top of course. My guitar sounds much better now both acoustically and amplified. It's also quite noticeably lighter. I know Pat Martino wasn't bothered by the bridge pickup hole on his ES 175 but I am.

I guess, I can always cut a piece of wood, finish it with matching color, glue little pieces of wood in the bottom corners with screw holes that align with the screw holes of the pickup covers. But if there are existing designs out there for this job, I'd like to know.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

I found this on another forum. I guess getting a pick guard and cutting it in the theme of the truss rod cover or the top of the headstock is another good idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images Humbucker cavity covers-epiphone-tom-delonge-es-333_3-jpg 

User Info Menu

PG material is a practical idea, it's easy and you cover the holes too. I have a slab of 3 ply (BWB) PG material I can rough cut and send a piece to you if you are able to drill / countersink the holes (using the pup surrounds as a template) and polish the edges.

PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    PG material is a practical idea, it's easy and you cover the holes too. I have a slab of 3 ply (BWB) PG material I can rough cut and send a piece to you if you are able to drill / countersink the holes (using the pup surrounds as a template) and polish the edges.

PM me.
    Thanks for the offer. I just found out that a local store carries Fender pickguards. I might get black or tortoise shell 3 ply tremolo cavity cover this evening. I have some extra time in my hands this weekend
    I'll also cut a tightly fitting piece of wood (with glued pieces that stick out under for screwing). I'll compare how each affects the sound (if at all). My concern with tightly fitting wood is that if the piece has different expansion rate from humidity, it'll put unnecessary pressure on top (or form gaps around the perimeter).
    Covering should help with feedback also.

User Info Menu

The bridge pickup is way more noticeable than the neck. I would suggest getting a metal cover with no screw holes to take the place as a "mock" pickup. Here is a random example:

https://www.amazon.com/bangdan-Humbu.../dp/B01LK0T28O

A dab of epoxy applied from under the pickup ring should hold it in place.

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett
    The bridge pickup is way more noticeable than the neck. I would suggest getting a metal cover with no screw holes to take the place as a "mock" pickup. Here is a random example:

Sorry! Something went wrong!

A dab of epoxy applied from under the pickup ring should hold it in place.
    My ES 175 is ebony, so black pickguard should cover it nicely. I also have newly acquired sunburst Byrdland. I might do the same treatment to it as well at some point but for now I'm finding it's bridge pickup more useful. If I do that, covering the bridge cavity will be a bigger aesthetic challenge on that guitar. I'd prefer not using dummy pickup however if I can get away with it. I'd first try how nicely shaped black cover looks. If not I'll make a matching hand polished wood piece in the cavity. The good thing is this is a very easily reversible mod.

User Info Menu

Do you have a spare toothbrush?Humbucker cavity covers-175cls-jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B
    Do you have a spare toothbrush?Humbucker cavity covers-175cls-jpg

Not sure if I get it.

User Info Menu

That is Metheny's old ES-175. If I remember correctly, he got this guitar as young boy and it had only the front pickup. Wes Montgomery's L-5 had two pickups so he thought he needed a second one also and cut a hole in the top for a bridge pup. Some years later it fell out and he just covered the hole up with duct tape. The toothbrush (the tip is visible) was used as a wedge to hold the strap in place ... this tells you a lot about his relationship to his instruments : they are tools that need to work as he needs it, not much else. That ES-175 was near a total collaps due to his non-stop touring when he finally agreed to help design his signature model with Ibanez.

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    That is Metheny's old ES-175. If I remember correctly, he got this guitar as young boy and it had only the front pickup. Wes Montgomery's L-5 had two pickups so he thought he needed a second one also and cut a hole in the top for a bridge pup. Some years later it fell out and he just covered the hole up with duct tape. The toothbrush (the tip is visible) was used as a wedge to hold the strap in place ... this tells you a lot about his relationship to his instruments : they are tools that need to work as he needs it, not much else. That ES-175 was near a total collaps due to his non-stop touring when he finally agreed to help design his signature model with Ibanez.
    I don't think he thought of his ES 175 just as a tool. He said he loved that guitar more than anybody else in the world. It's true that he installed the bridge pickup himself but it didn't sound very good to him so he removed it.

This is where he says it (sorry for nerding out )
    Pat Metheny : Question & Answer

User Info Menu

hey, I love my tools too and I think that any woodworker worth his salt treats his chisels and knives with care and respect - the fact that he used this guitar for so long despite it's , uhm , ragged appearance also tells me something. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    ... the fact that he used this guitar for so long despite it's , uhm , ragged appearance also tells me something. YMMV
    When you're a world class musician you can get away with certain things. If I get on a stage with that guitar, people would think I'm a loser. When Pat Metheny does it, people think of it as a quirk of a genius.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Not sure if I get it.
    I guess I was just trying to make a funny...the idea of covering a bridge pickup hole made me think of that old 175...

User Info Menu

So, what did you end up doing? I’m in a similar spot.