The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 45

User Info Menu

Just got a Raezer's Edge Sol amplifier. This is a new line of tube amplifiers they are offering. Very quickly I realized this amp sounds better than any other amp I have. It's a fender style combo amp based roughly on the AB763 amp design but no reverb or vibrato and single channel, switchable between 17w and 40w. Very light. Somewhere around 30lbs. Uses a jensen jet tornado neodymium speaker.
    Really sounds amazing. Look for some demos soon.

Not sure about pricing yet. Maybe Geoff Felsher can comment?

Raezer's Edge Sol Amplifier-20190827_171024-jpgRaezer's Edge Sol Amplifier-20190827_171034-jpgRaezer's Edge Sol Amplifier-20190827_171040-jpgRaezer's Edge Sol Amplifier-20190827_171048-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Uh, oh! AAS (Amp Acquisition Syndrome) is beginning to rear its ugly head.

User Info Menu

Nice !

For further info, waiting for demos :
    Sol 18/40 - Raezer's Edge

User Info Menu

Wow! Looks great! Priced great! I hope Geoff succeeds with this. He is building a 2x10 cabinet for me. This shall be my next one.

User Info Menu

You usually say neo speakers sound bad. What's different about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    You usually say neo speakers sound bad. What's different about this?
    I've written a bunch of times about the jensen jet tornado. I've switched over to that speaker in my cabinets (from the celestion G12H-75). It's got only a teeny, teeny bit of the neo-nasally-ness that I hear in almost every other neo speaker. I think the G12H-75 is a tad sweeter (particularly for overdrive) but I'm willing to trade off for weight considerations.

User Info Menu

Oh man -- for about 3-4 weeks the folks over at The Gear Page are gonna go nuts over an amp that is loud but not too loud, not too heavy, a good pedal platform but with stunning cleans. If it only had an FX loop, reverb and a dirt side voiced liked a 1982 JCM800 with vertical inputs

In all honesty though -- looks great!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    I've written a bunch of times about the jensen jet tornado. I've switched over to that speaker in my cabinets (from the celestion G12H-75). It's got only a teeny, teeny bit of the neo-nasally-ness that I hear in almost every other neo speaker. I think the G12H-75 is a tad sweeter (particularly for overdrive) but I'm willing to trade off for weight considerations.
    Ah thanks. Is this the one?:

12" Tornado Classic 100 | Jensen Loudspeakers

So then this also looks promising, still <5 lbs, and slightly higher efficiency:

12" Tornado Stealth 100 | Jensen Loudspeakers

Ah thanks. Is this the one?:

12" Tornado Classic 100 | Jensen Loudspeakers

So then this also looks promising, still <5 lbs, and slightly higher efficiency:

12" Tornado Stealth 100 | Jensen Loudspeakers
    I have 3 different versions. I have one of each of the above and I also have one like this:

Jensen Jet Tornado Neo 12/100 Speaker, 8ohms Hot Rox UK

From what I understand, despite any differences in the spec listing, they are all the same speaker with just slightly different cast designs for the magnet.

I don't hear any difference in any of the 3 I have.

Quote Originally Posted by wildschwein
    Oh man -- for about 3-4 weeks the folks over at The Gear Page are gonna go nuts over an amp that is loud but not too loud, not too heavy, a good pedal platform but with stunning cleans. If it only had an FX loop, reverb and a dirt side voiced liked a 1982 JCM800 with vertical inputs

In all honesty though -- looks great!
    i posted this on TGP and didn't get a single view.

User Info Menu

I have 3 different versions. I have one of each of the above and I also have one like this:

Jensen Jet Tornado Neo 12/100 Speaker, 8ohms Hot Rox UK

From what I understand, despite any differences in the spec listing, they are all the same speaker with just slightly different cast designs for the magnet.

I don't hear any difference in any of the 3 I have.
    Interesting. I have been very pleased with this one. Celestion BN12-300S. About the same price.

Celestion BN12-300S (8) - 12 inch Bass Guitar Speaker

User Info Menu

Didn't mean to turn this into a neo comparison thread, sorry. Back to the amp. I really like reverb on a carry-and-go amp. I think they're missing the boat on that. Yeah I know there are pedals, bt many time you just want a simple carry-and-go-and-plug-it-in. Better to have it IF you want it than to not have it WHEN you want it.

I've been on the hunt for a 1 x 12 tube amp and this is really interesting. I have a Raezer's Edge twin 8 that I love. I agree that leaving off reverb may be a mistake. Would hate to buy this amp only to find out they put out one with reverb next year lol

User Info Menu

i posted this on TGP and didn't get a single view.
    Yeah, no-one could ever truly comprehend the fickleness of that crowd.

User Info Menu

I wish Geoff much luck with his new endeavors. Somehow though, I think the opportunity to do well selling boutique tube amps may have passed.....

User Info Menu

However, this IS the most desirable tube bracket for many gigging players. Dimensions, power and weight are right, reverb would be good but not a deal breaker. However, many similar attempts had to add reverb due to player demand, so i agree some might wait for a later version. Didn't most Fender Ab763 models have reverb?

Really like the look of the amp!

User Info Menu

Remember the Fender Deluxe Amp from 1963-4 (no reverb, no logo) .. one of the sweetest amps ever ...

Raezer's Edge Sol Amplifier-dscn3095-jpgRaezer's Edge Sol Amplifier-dscn3096-1-jpg

some pix of the point to point wiring and transformers

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    However, this IS the most desirable tube bracket for many gigging players. Dimensions, power and weight are right, reverb would be good but not a deal breaker. However, many similar attempts had to add reverb due to player demand, so i agree some might wait for a later version. Didn't most Fender Ab763 models have reverb?

Really like the look of the amp!
    Yes they did. He has a bunch of tube amps in the pipeline. Some do have reverb. I've always been a staunch supporter of amps with reverb but a recent back injury has made me consider weight as one of the deciding factors. Tube reverb is about 4-5lbs with tubes, socket, transformer, tank etc. I love the sound of the Digitech RV7 in front of the amp. I can live without the reverb. And Geoff is in agreement with me that he doesn't want digital reverb in a tube amp. I have one of his SS amps (The forthcoming Luna) and it does have digital reverb. I don't mind the digital reverb in a SS amp.

User Info Menu

Geoff needs a much better grade chassis and faceplate to house that beautiful PTP wiring. That soda can metal does not inspire confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Geoff needs a much better grade chassis and faceplate to house that beautiful PTP wiring. That soda can metal does not inspire confidence.
    Dr Z uses the same type of faceplate and is the most successful boutique amp maker in history. Sold more than matchless, badcat, victoria combined! I think Geoff will be fine. The amp is also 1/2 the cost of anything comparable. $1150 for a handwired 40w fender amp is pretty amazing. I'll take the price and weight savings. YMMV

User Info Menu

IMR there has never been a Fender circuit combining solid-state rectification with a two-tube combined preamp and phase inverter. EDIT: It's surprising to see Raezer's Edge advertise this as, "Loosely based on the AB763 circuit." But that's how advertising works . . .

That's not to say, 'This amp can't be any good.' That is to say, "The invocation of AB763 is advertising. Take the amp for what it sounds like, not what its advertising sounds like."

Raezer's Edge Sol Amplifier-dscn3095-jpg

some pix of the point to point wiring and transformers
    Thank you very much Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    If you've ever had a drill bit catch on fire trying to get through a stainless steel chassis, you can appreciate the positive value of a softer box!

$1150 for a handwired 40w fender amp is pretty amazing.
    Can't disagree with that. Anybody who finds one should speak right up. This isn't that . . .

If nothing else, this is fine proof that Geoff believes that the only way to sell a new amp is to call it an old one!
    Last edited by Sam Sherry; 08-29-2019 at 01:06 PM.

Didn't mean to turn this into a neo comparison thread, sorry. Back to the amp. I really like reverb on a carry-and-go amp. I think they're missing the boat on that. Yeah I know there are pedals, bt many time you just want a simple carry-and-go-and-plug-it-in. Better to have it IF you want it than to not have it WHEN you want it.
    Yeah but he is also making amps with reverb. This one saves 5lbs by not having reverb. I'll take the price and weight savings for my back's sake. And it sounds great on a gig or jam session without it!

Regarding speakers, I had a BN300S speaker in my cabs. I found that it was mid-spikey a bit like an EV12L. I replaced it with the jensen jet tornado and like it a lot better. I recently put a 12L speaker in the cab and it had the same mid spike that I disliked with the BN300. The BN300 had the ever-so-slight neo-middyness to it that I don't hear in the Jensen.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirdcoastjazz
    I've been on the hunt for a 1 x 12 tube amp and this is really interesting. I have a Raezer's Edge twin 8 that I love. I agree that leaving off reverb may be a mistake. Would hate to buy this amp only to find out they put out one with reverb next year lol
    He is making a tube amp with reverb. This one (obviously) has no reverb. If you don't mind the extra weigh and cost, get the amp with reverb. If you want to save a few bucks and some weight this one is cool. I also find that in comparing it to my fargen blackbird and vintage sound 40 , that there is a purity of sound to the simple design that is missing from the other amps with the extra gain stages.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry
    Can't disagree with that. Anybody who finds one should speak right up. This isn't that . . .

If nothing else, this is fine proof that Geoff believes that the only way to sell a new amp is to call it an old one!
    The ab763 comment was mine. He's not advertising this as an AB763 amp as far as I know. It's based on the fender AB763 preamp design but he isn't claiming this is a fender clone.

Why do these threads always have to be so contentious?!?