The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 33 of 33
    Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    If you have the time, you can custom order a guitar from either Wu or Yunzhi, built to whatever specs you desire. Bout width, neck width and depth, scale length, inlays, depth, everything is negotiable. Actually, it's not negotiating, it's just specifying what you want, and they will build it. It takes 3 months or so, but IME it's worth it. My Wu is a great guitar, and required no work other than installing the pickup, as I ordered it as an acoustic. I prefer the Rhythm Chief 1100 over the Chinese pickup that is standard, but you can have it come with the pickup installed for about the same price. A Wu will run you ~$1500, a Yunzhi somewhat less. If you want a factory-built, ready to ship guitar, I think an Eastman is a good choice. Lots of models have 1.75' necks. Personally, I notice no difference at all between 24.75" and 25" scales. A quarter of an inch over ~25 inches isn't much, and the difference in fret spacing is vanishingly small, as is the tension. But in the end, it's an entirely subjective matter as to whether a guitar is acceptable to a player.
    I've heard good things about Mr.Wu and have seen Yunzhi on discussion boards. I've also been considering Eastmans for the width and scale, good value too. I think I could manage 25" OK especially if the neck was somewhat slender in contour.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I just noticed a pretty nice looking Holst Laminate on reverb-It's not a give-away at $2995, but an offer can always be made if one felt so inclined (Scale is 25", not 24.75")

Holst Jazz Hand built archtop electric guitar tobacco burst | Reverb

Yes, I saw that, but it's a pretty expensive roll of the dice. Not sure what his return policy is. I'll get in touch with him directly and see what's up.

User Info Menu

Roger Borys. The B120 is 16” body, 24.75” scale, 1 3/4” nut, and incredibly comfortable necks. He’s also great at carving the necks EXACTLY how you want it to feel for your playing style, by asking questions, or even better if you go to his shop and have him watch you play and try guitars with different neck profiles for comparison.

He did a great job on my Jazz Solid and if I were in the market for a 16” box it wouldn’t even be a second thought, Borys all the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by KevinBClark
    Roger Borys. The B120 is 16” body, 24.75” scale, 1 3/4” nut, and incredibly comfortable necks. He’s also great at carving the necks EXACTLY how you want it to feel for your playing style, by asking questions, or even better if you go to his shop and have him watch you play and try guitars with different neck profiles for comparison.

He did a great job on my Jazz Solid and if I were in the market for a 16” box it wouldn’t even be a second thought, Borys all the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Appreciate the recommendation but there are no used ones available at the moment and a new one is beyond my ability to afford.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by buduranus2
    Appreciate the recommendation but there are no used ones available at the moment and a new one is beyond my ability to afford.
    There is (or perhaps was) a Borys B-120 for sale on this forum's "for sale" page:
    Borys B-120 Deluxe $4500

Quote Originally Posted by helios
    There is (or perhaps was) a Borys B-120 for sale on this forum's "for sale" page:
    Borys B-120 Deluxe $4500
    Thanks, but that's beyond my ability to afford.

User Info Menu

I had a guitar made by Mr. Wu. It’s a 17-inch body, 3-3/8 inch depth, 25 inch scale, all solid spruce and figured maple, custom headstock inlays (which came from the rear fender orientation from a 1958 Buick Limited), and for my fat fingertips, I went with a flat (no radius) 2-inch wide fingerboard. Mr. Wu can build pretty much whatever you want. The cost for mine, shipped, was a tad over $1,700, although he has recently raised prices. The Yunzhi guitars are much less expensive and the workmanship is nearly as good. Contact Ms. Lora at guitar_archtop@163.com for more info. She speaks decent English and acts as your tour guide through the process, for either a Wu or a Yunzhi.