The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 74 of 74

User Info Menu

Hi I am hoping there is a pool of knowledge here that can be tapped.

Lately I have been working on learning the gypsy style of picking and decided that I am going to get a gypsy guitar.
    So best advice is welcome.
    I currently play an an Otto D'Ambrosio Eastman 905.
    I would like something at least that good and my budget is 3k or there abouts.
    I want a solid acoustic sound.

Any knowledge of luthiers is also wanted ... AJL or Eimers or ?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Dupont.

If you can find a used MD-50 in your price range, get it. You won't be disappointed.

User Info Menu

Caravan guitars had an actual store here in Chicago for a while, and a friend of mine ran it for a bit, so I've had a chance to try a bunch of "real" gypsy guitars.

The one I liked the best was his own Barault, which i think he paid just over 3k for (it was used, highly recommend buying used, so much more band for the buck)

There was also a Castellucia he brought over once that sounded amazing, but I did not like the neck.

What are you after? Petite or grand Bouche?

User Info Menu

Strinphonic guitar in Japan. Stringphonic Original Selmer Replica

User Info Menu

My own take is get a used Dupont. I prefer the long scale (670mm/26.38") grand bouche guitars, though I own an f-hole DM-50 myself. Petite bouche is fine, but not my personal preference. The key to getting that great gypsy lead tone is partially bound up in the long scale.

With the truly great gypsy guitars, the note just leaps out of the guitar with little effort and is loud, loud, loud. The next level down is just as loud but requires you to put more muscle into it. My DM50 is like this. Then you have the guitars that have the right tone, but not the volume no matter how hard you hit. And finally there are the odd ducks that have the volume but the tone is not right. I've heard a (very) few Ciganos and Gitanes that are like this.

In gypsy guitars, you usually get what you pay for.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by clem_gael
    Strinphonic guitar in Japan. Stringphonic Original Selmer Replica
    Those guitars look very nice ...have you played one?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lumena
    Those guitars look very nice ...have you played one?
    I have one! A very nice guitar!
    japanese craftmanship, great service! Safe packaging!

User Info Menu

I have a 93’ near mint MC-50 that I’m not using - set up by John Monteleone. The guitar has a huge voice.

It’s 3k . If your interested send me a pm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    I have a 93’ near mint MC-50 that I’m not using - set up by John Monteleone. The guitar has a huge voice.

It’s 3k . If your interested send me a pm
    To the OP

This is a great deal on a great guitar. The early Duponts were made by Maurice DuPont himself and really nail the Selmer guitar sound. My personal Gypsy guitar is a DuPont MD-20 from 1993.

User Info Menu

looks beautiful but I am looking for a petite bouche.

User Info Menu

looks beautiful but I am looking for a petite bouche.
    Ok - enjoy your search. Just wanted to offer this early DuPont as an option. It’s an acoustic Canon - set up by one of the greatest builders of our generation.

User Info Menu

In your budget the Stringphonic are great guitars but a Dupont is really the standard and would be my first choice. Stringphonics, I have played two and both were great so it really comes down to the guitar, same old story. Most every Dupont I've played has been stellar and lean towards a more trad GJ sound. I have also visited Maurice Dupont's shop in Cognac and sw first hand how much care and attention goes into his guitars.

If you do happen to find a Barault or Favino in your price range those are also fantastic. If you do not want to jump on tht D hole that's for sale I think Stringswinger gave great advice, a used MD-50.

Either way good luck and I hope you find an axe you love.

User Info Menu

As a Finn, I'd recommend AJL. They sound great in the hands of Andreas Öberg and Olli Soikkeli, who lives in Brooklyn. But being made in the dry northern climate, there might be an acclimatization issue down in warm and humid Florida. However, the AJL website describes in detail the the workshop's humidity control. Moreover, the gypsy guitars are varnished from the inside as well. I don't play gypsy but have tried two AJL archtops, a 19" Stromberg replica and a 15.5" "wonder guitar". Ab Fab!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitpicker
    In your budget the Stringphonic are great guitars but a Dupont is really the standard and would be my first choice. Stringphonics, I have played two and both were great so it really comes down to the guitar, same old story. Most every Dupont I've played has been stellar and lean towards a more trad GJ sound. I have also visited Maurice Dupont's shop in Cognac and sw first hand how much care and attention goes into his guitars.

If you do happen to find a Barault or Favino in your price range those are also fantastic. If you do not want to jump on tht D hole that's for sale I think Stringswinger gave great advice, a used MD-50.

Either way good luck and I hope you find an axe you love.
    Now I just need to find one. I looked at Djangobooks but his prices are a bit high for used guitars. Not a worry, I can wait.

I was surprised you didn't suggest an Eastman. But seriously yes it is looking like an MD-50 is the one to look for. I do notice it's hard to actually tell alot about these type of guitars if the demo person doesn't use a proper pick technique. I have listened to a lot of videos and it is quite obvious that without the right technique that special gypsy sound doesn't happen.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    As a Finn, I'd recommend AJL. They sound great in the hands of Andreas Öberg and Olli Soikkeli, who lives in Brooklyn. But being made in the dry northern climate, there might be an acclimatization issue down in warm and humid Florida. However, the AJL website describes in detail the the workshop's humidity control. Moreover, the gypsy guitars are varnished from the inside as well. I don't play gypsy but have tried two AJL archtops, a 19" Stromberg replica and a 15.5" "wonder guitar". Ab Fab!
    Totally loving the AJL website - given the price of a Dupont new his guitars seem to be very reasonable, although so many choices make my head a bit spinny. I like the fact that his guitars ship with 3 bridges so you can swap based on humidity. Yes all guitars take a week or so to adapt to Florida but since it's on the high side they tend to be ok to dry is much worse.

User Info Menu

Now I just need to find one. I looked at Djangobooks but his prices are a bit high for used guitars. Not a worry, I can wait.

I was surprised you didn't suggest an Eastman. But seriously yes it is looking like an MD-50 is the one to look for. I do notice it's hard to actually tell alot about these type of guitars if the demo person doesn't use a proper pick technique. I have listened to a lot of videos and it is quite obvious that without the right technique that special gypsy sound doesn't happen.
    If you are patient, a used MD-50 can be had for 3K. And that will be all the Gypsy guitar you will ever need.

I have played Andreas Robert's AJL. I like my DuPont better. At one time, in addition to my DuPont, I owned one of Gitpicker's Favinos. When I decided to trim down to just one Gypsy guitar, it was the DuPont that I kept. That pretty much says it all IMO......

User Info Menu

I went through this entire search and listened to numerous examples......and in the end Stringswinger helped guide me ......and he was right. I found my MC-50 built by Maurice himself. When I brought it to my good friend John Monteleone for a set up - he was very impressed with the guitars tone, and after the set up it plays like butter and is an absolute Canon. I just had John lower action and dress nut..... and WOW !

Im actually glad I got the D hole version.....because I too wanted the petetite bouche, but there is a richness to the tone of the D sound hole thats incomparable.

Additionally, the Maurice built Duponts hold there value, and will have a premium over most other Gypsy jazz style guitars. This is why they appear pricey from Django books.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by QAman; 08-25-2019 at 04:05 PM.

User Info Menu

I've have never played a Dupont MD-50, so I cannot comment on those. But I have had a Stringphonic, AJL, and a Barault as well as a Dell Arte Dark Eyes, Altamira M10, and a Dupont Nomade.

Here are some comparison videos I made:

The last one standing is the Barault. However, I think it would be pretty hard to find a Barault under $4K. I have been keeping my eye out for the last two years and have only see one.

For under $3,000 your best bet is the Stringphonic. The neck is a little on the bigger side but the build quality and sound of the guitar is top notch. I heard that even the Basic version of the Stringphonic is already pretty good.

User Info Menu

Barault really has the sound. Thank you very much for posting all the demos.

User Info Menu

Here is a video of my Dupont in action, all acoustic with a loud upright bass and a cannon of a Martin Dreadnaught as accompaniment. Country music singer Ginny Mitchell hired my Gypsy jazz trio as her backing band for a spell back in the day:

User Info Menu

Wow. Stringswinger!
    i confess I have heard this video before and i totally think your sound is on the money for what I am looking for. More and more I have been targeting just being totally acoustic and this type of sound is exactly how I see myself going. If that is a dupont md50 then that is the one.

thank you so much for posting this.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Here is a video of my Dupont in action, all acoustic with a loud upright bass and a cannon of a Martin Dreadnaught as accompaniment. Country music singer Ginny Mitchell hired my Gypsy jazz trio as her backing band for a spell back in the day:

Sounds great...exactly what it should sound like, imho.

As for the Martin, even my $500 Cigano is louder than any dred.

User Info Menu

@Lumena My guitar is a Dupont MD-20. A used example of that model can be had for 4K, but a Dupont MD-50 will yield a very similar sound and a used example can be had for 3K

@ Jeff Your Cigano is probably louder than most Gypsy guitars, let alone any Dreadnaught. Gitanes and Ciganos have tremendous volume, but their tone is not the best. That said, bang for the buck, they cannot be beat. I have seen my friend John Jorgenson do concerts with Gitane guitars and he sounded great.

Thanks for the kind words guys!

User Info Menu

Hey, I’m just curious what Model Barault you’re playing in this video