The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

Is there a chart that shows all different types of sunbursts? Is that manufacturer specific (ie Fender sunbursts vs Gibson sunbursts)?
    My favorite sunburst is what Gibson used on ES 175 CC's (picture below). What's the name of that sunburst? Brownburst??
    What's your preferred sunburst finish?
    Attached Images Attached Images Different Types of Sunbursts-1980gibsones-175cc025-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I believe Gibson would have called that burst either a vintage sunburst or tobacco sunburst. Fender mostly used either 2 tone sunburst or 3 tone sunburst to name their bursts, but in recent years have come up with other names. Gibson has so many different sunburst names these days that it might take quite awhile to compile a chart.

Desert sunglow sunburst anyone ? Modern day marketing creativity has made its way to the world of guitars.

User Info Menu

I don't know what this one is called... it's pretty unique. I call it "Cognac" and have a 175 and L5ces with it:
    Different Types of Sunbursts-es175-figured-1-jpg
    Different Types of Sunbursts-l5-introduction-3-jpg

I also like this one, not a Gibson, but Ive seen Gibsons of the same era that had a very similar burst. I don't know what it's called.
    Different Types of Sunbursts-ariape180-ebay-2-jpg

User Info Menu

Anytime you get into names of finishes it seems to be a marketing thing as well.
    What Gibson calls Brown Burst, Heritage calls Old Style Sunburst.
    Fender may have a completely different name as well.

In the old days there weren't as many variations that people were as concerned with.And you just got what the finisher sprayed that day.
    I heard that at Gibson in the late 1950's when Les Paul's were becoming Sunburst.
    The Cherry Sunburst finish was the norm,but the older guys who worked there hated that finish. So if they were assigned finishing Les Paul's, they did Dark Burst instead, LOL!

Aren't these called cherry sunbursts? The archetypal LP finish.

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I don't know what this one is called... it's pretty unique. I call it "Cognac" and have a 175 and L5ces with it:

I also like this one, not a Gibson, but Ive seen Gibsons of the same era that had a very similar burst. I don't know what it's called.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Aren't these called cherry sunbursts? The archetypal LP finish.
    No, this is cherry sb:

Different Types of Sunbursts-l5s-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    No, this is cherry sb:

Different Types of Sunbursts-l5s-jpg
    You could be right but in my understanding there is a range of cherry sunbursts and the one you posted is a particularly light version.

Here is a thread that discusses cherry sunburst variations, some of them do look like Lawson's guitars:
    Variations of Heritage Cherry Sunburst R9's

User Info Menu

Lawson, your figured 175 was called three tone sunburst. It is similar to the 3 tone sunburst of the 1960's. I am unsure about your L-5. That may possibly be a "cognac burst" (Gibson actually has used that name). The Aria may have been a cherry sunburst that has faded or an ice-tea sunburst that has darkened.

There are so many variations, and the fading over time adds to the confusion.

Even the blonde and red guitars have all kinds of different names, Wine red, cherry, antique natural, blonde etc.

Then we might consider the different types of finish or ways to apply them, Lacquer, poly, nitro, french polish, hand rubbed varnish etc.

The only thing I am certain of regarding guitar finishes is that we have lots of choices!

User Info Menu

The darker than "cherry" bursts like Lawson's L5 are actually called "iced tea burst." And they are my favorite. I had a Johnny Smith in "iced tea."

gibson guitar iced tea - Google Search

User Info Menu

Burst, burst, burst...

It's gotten ridiculous with so many similar if not identical colors for different names. Lookup desert, autumn, trans amber, lemon and light burst, I don't think the paint names make sense. Even on the same model from the same maker (Gibson has been the worst IMO) the variability is pretty extreme. I don't think even the folks who spray them know what they are gonna call them once they're serialized and boxed :-)

Marketing at its most unpredictable.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Lawson, your figured 175 was called three tone sunburst. It is similar to the 3 tone sunburst of the 1960's. I am unsure about your L-5. That may possibly be a "cognac burst" (Gibson actually has used that name). The Aria may have been a cherry sunburst that has faded or an ice-tea sunburst that has darkened.

There are so many variations, and the fading over time adds to the confusion.

Even the blonde and red guitars have all kinds of different names, Wine red, cherry, antique natural, blonde etc.

Then we might consider the different types of finish or ways to apply them, Lacquer, poly, nitro, french polish, hand rubbed varnish etc.

The only thing I am certain of regarding guitar finishes is that we have lots of choices!
    The only problem with these gorgeous bursts is that, under certain kinds of fluorescent lighting, they turn a kind of garish color, kind of greenish?

User Info Menu

Kind of like me, I don't look so good in certain lights any more LOL!

User Info Menu

The word you're looking for is "perfect."

You are a blessed man, LS.
    Last edited by citizenk74; 08-23-2019 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Spelin

User Info Menu

AKA .."Clown Burst" ???

User Info Menu

hmm....

User Info Menu

My Johnny Smith looked exactly like that. Awesome color.

User Info Menu

The ES 175 CC came in two finish options. The typical one was the "Antique Sunburst" shown above. It looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    The ES 175 CC came in two finish options. The typical one was the "Antique Sunburst" shown above. It looks great.
    Yes it must be called antique sunburst. When I searched "antique sunburst", I found this LP. Same finish. My favourite sunburst.
    Attached Images Attached Images Different Types of Sunbursts-original-jpg 

User Info Menu

This might work in one of the USA military ensembles.

Different Types of Sunbursts-prs-burst-jpg