The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

57 classics, I’m told.

I’ve been playing my 339 more recently. I’m not completely sold on the pickups but before heading down that rabbit hole, I thought I’d ask if there were any opinions regarding these. My main complaint is a nasal top end. Maybe something sweeter?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Some people love them, and others don't - it's a common concern.
    Mine were muddy in the neck position, so, I went with a p/up that had an Alnico V magnet for more clarity, and that worked on my 345, plus giving a brighter top end. And yes the guitar itself seemed more nasal, compared to say, a P90 equipped guitar.

User Info Menu

Up until the last couple of years ES-339 came stock with 57 Classics. I believe they changed to MHS humbuckers in the last few years.
    I have a 2011 model and replaced my Classic 57 with Manluis Fat Diane PAFs

Although these Manluis Pickups are excellent, I thought the Classics were actually very good in this guitar. A bit hotter and more minds with the Classic 57's

User Info Menu

When I bought a 339 a few years ago the studio had the 57’s and the non- studio had Burstbuckers. 2016 series I believe.

I preferred the 57’s - by a lot, and saved a few dollars by buying the studio.

Can’t speak to other years, I don’t know a Gibson as well as I know Fender, and I’m not an expert on Fender by any measure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

It depends on the year made what pups are in it, mine is a 2018 and it has MHS pickups, I'd rather they were 57's but the MHS are OK enough to work with.

User Info Menu

I believe that I finally have the guitars that will satisfy me to no end. One of them is a Herb Ellis ES-165. It has a 490R pick up and I am liking it a lot. They can be had for not too much money, so it might be worth a try. Words are words, but I wouldn't say that it has a nasally top end. Sweet is a good description.

User Info Menu

There really is no comparison between the two. The Gibson, IMO,is a instrument of higher quality. Not just with the Lennon model, but the DOVE & the HUMMINBIRD too.

User Info Menu

To the OP: it could be the guitar. But, the SD Seth Lover p/ups are very very popular, not many unhappy reviews. players get a "sweeter" response - they are brighter. Haven't tried them myself tho.

User Info Menu

i have the studio version and it's for sure 57s... i love the tone of this guitar
    have had tuning issues and after a setup, i need new tuners and a fret job
    for the price i paid, it's a freaking tone machine... i love the pickups, the neck and the sound

User Info Menu

love the 339 pickups.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    love the 339 pickups.

Which pickups are those, Jack?

User Info Menu

Mine (2011) has Classic '57s
    Lovely as is.

User Info Menu

This is a guitar where the Classic 57 pickups work really well. Seth Lovers are also a really good choice as well. But I believe they are not wax potted,so occasionally you might run into feedback issues.
    But I've also had feedback issues with the cover not being tight enough. Pretty easy fix with a couple of drops of elmers glue and a piece of masking tape.