The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 39 of 39

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleOM
    I have the 503, but I am thinking perhaps the Leela might work better in a bar where the volumes are a little higher.

On the Leela do you find attack and sustain is reasonably consistent at all points on the neck? No obvious wonky notes? From pictures I have seen I get the impression the nut is a full 1 11/16 and not less than that.

Please correct me if i'm wrong I had the impression that all of the Eastmans have a 1.3/4" nut or wider?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nice guitar, lovely sound, delicate playing. Congrats! Oh, and nice composition too, with interesting modulations.

User Info Menu

Lovely, Rob. Nice tone... but I give only a small fraction of the credit on that to the hardware.

User Info Menu

Blush.

Thanks, guys. Believe me, the guitar is responsive to what you put in.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    Please correct me if i'm wrong I had the impression that all of the Eastmans have a 1.3/4" nut or wider?

Most of the Eastman hollow archtop guitars are but there are some exceptions. The AR503CE spec states 1 3/4. The AR580CE, essentially an AR503CE with more bling, is 1 11/16. However, with any Eastman if the dimension is critical to you, I would suggest having some one measure the guitar you plan to buy. My Frank V model is a rather generous 1 3/4". I have seen another Frank V guitar that seemed narrower to me. I don't have good measuring tools but I think the one I have is closer to 1 13/16.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Hi John. It's no Elferink, that's for sure. But it's loud enough, with a fairly wide dynamic range. It's not an acoustic guitar with a pickup, but it comes close.
    Thanks, I guess I really need to try one of these.

John

User Info Menu

Thanks Danielle,
    i had already followed your suggestion, and asked a dealer to measure the nut on a model which caught my eye .it measured 1.3/4” unfortunately
    I am uncomfortable with anything wider than 1.11/16”
    having used Gibsons for a very long time. The scale length / and number of frets are of little consequence however.
    i agree that the Eastmans are very good value and quality likewise the Peerless models.
    i just wish Gibson would awake from their torpor and reintroduce their former top quality Archtops ( and at affordable asking prices)
    kind regards
    SF.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    Thanks Danielle,
    i had already followed your suggestion, and asked a dealer to measure the nut on a model which caught my eye .it measured 1.3/4” unfortunately
    I am uncomfortable with anything wider than 1.11/16”
    having used Gibsons for a very long time. The scale length / and number of frets are of little consequence however.
    i agree that the Eastmans are very good value and quality likewise the Peerless models.
    i just wish Gibson would awake from their torpor and reintroduce their former top quality Archtops ( and at affordable asking prices)
    kind regards
    SF.
    Did you consider the AR580CE? AR580CE - Eastman Guitars

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleOM
    Did you consider the AR580CE? AR580CE - Eastman Guitars
    Yes indeed! The very one, too far for me to travel to & try, I asked for it to be measured and as said
    it was wider than 1.11/16”
    I lieu I spotted a rare Gibson Blonde L5CT at a reasonable price, elsewhere ,
    No contest I’m afraid.
    Thank you for your suggestion Danielle.

Silverfoxx

User Info Menu

That is one gorgeous guitar. I'm going to be auditioning a 580 next week. Might just take it and a Fender Tone Master Twin Reverb home. We'll see.

User Info Menu

My interest is piqued, and I see one on CL, fairly local, but it seems to have a floating pickup, does this model come with both floating and set pickups?

User Info Menu

I've only ever seen set.

User Info Menu

RM, did you ever get the CC pickup installed? I ask because I have an Eastman AR905CE CC custom, which came with a Lollar CC pickup.

I really do like the acoustic sound of this guitar as well – in fact, I bought a second one as a loaner for a young friend who plays guitar for the New York Youth Symphony Jazz band.

Eastman AR503CE - Acoustic test - and Hy White-eastman-ar905cc-jpg

User Info Menu