Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

The reason this is in the Gear section and not the Players section is in the title. I believe this was the 1st stop on his current tour. He played songs from his entire career - the single set lasted 2 hours - from Dire Straits to his most recent solo album, and even a piece from a film score he wrote. The band consisted of 11 members, many of whom were multi-instrumentalists. Mark was, of course, great. He's only just turned 70 after all! The ensemble musicianship was superb.

But getting back to the title, there were no amps on stage. It seems that all the amplified instruments were going through the PA. Some of them were wireless and some of them weren't. Some of them - the electric guitars at least - were obviously run through sophisticated amp modelers. I could see stuff on the floor in front of Mark and another guy who played electric guitar, but I wasn't close enough to identify what the stuff was. Knopfler's tone with a Les Paul and Strat (as well as a few others) was just what you'd expect. And while his lead lines were loud, his rhythm playing blended in with rest of the band perfectly. And, I didn't notice much if any pedal dancing. Maybe a lot was pre-programmed and/or controlled by the sound engineer? The floor monitor array was minimal, as the stage volume was likely quite low. I didn't identify any in-ear monitors either. The sound was consistently superb!

So, is this the future of live big-venue amplified sound?!
    "Thanks, but you should have heard what I was trying to play!" - T. Monk
    http://network.online.berklee.edu/profile/1200078

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Mark Knopfler's been using a Kemper system recently.

London Jazz Guitar Society:
    www.meetup.com/londonjazzguitarsociety
    LJGS on Twitter: www.twitter.com/LDNJazzGuitar

User Info Menu

Yes, I just googled his gear and found this:
    Mark Knopfler is now using Kemper Profiling Amps onstage | MusicRadar.
    I was apparently wrong about the in-ear monitors. I guess I just couldn't see them from where I was sitting.
    Anyway, he - and the whole band - sounded great!
    "Thanks, but you should have heard what I was trying to play!" - T. Monk
    http://network.online.berklee.edu/profile/1200078

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Karol View Post
    So, is this the future of live big-venue amplified sound?!
    Given the cost, security and vagaries of traveling world wide, this is the present for many big touring acts. A number of popular touring acts utilize digital products like the Kemper, Fractal Audio, Line 6 etc.

User Info Menu

So jealous. Mark is at the TOP of my bucket list. Glad to hear you had a good show.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    1948 Gibson L-7N
    1981 Epi Emperor T (MIJ Matsumoku)
    1998 Epi Zephyr Regent (Peerless)
    1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio
    2004 Gibson SG Special Faded
    2006 Epi G-1275 (MIK, Unsung)
    2013 Squier Affinity Telecaster, BSB
    (among others)

User Info Menu

BTW for the Knopfler fans, he maintains a really good youtube channel. Mark Knopfler
    - YouTube
    B+
    Frank (aka fep)

User Info Menu

Yeah I’m jealous too—he’s one of the people I’ve most wanted to see.

A lot of acts do this...play through a PA system with remotely engineered amplification...Fleetwood Mac and Rod Stewart come to mind. It certainly does allow for a well-balanced soundscape.

Personally I’m kind of old school. I like to see the toys (although banks of pedals kind of distract me, with a few exceptions like Nels Cline). I really appreciate a cool guitar with a cool amp...Joe Bonamassa and Eric Clapton for instance.

Or the best is being in a smallish club or outdoor theatre. I was about 10 feet away from Blake Mills when he played with Lucinda Williams...he had 2 amps, both of which were Fender tube amps as I recall. There was nothing between his fingers and my ears except that one little box. Aural heaven.
    “Without music, life would be a mistake”--Friedrich Nietzsche

Current lineup: Gibson ES-135 ('02), Peerless Sunset, Harmony Brilliant Cutaway ('64), Godin 5th Avenue, Alvarez AC60 A/E classical, Kay K37 ('56), Fender Squier VM Jazz bass, several ukes. Amps: Fishman Artist, Fender SCXD, Pignose 7-100.

User Info Menu

The Grateful Dead did tours in the early 90s with no on-stage amps in an effort to save their hearing. However, their early efforts with in-ear monitors were counterproductive in that regard, and made matters worse. I did a few gigs running from a preamp (actually a Zoom MS-100bt, usually, which had a hot enough output) to the PA and liked the simplicity.

I met one rock guitarist who uses a floor pedal/preamp unit (either Zoom or Boss, I don't remember) and has a fake amplifier behind him; it's just the cabinet with a faceplate on it, weighs about 15-20 pounds. He runs straight into the PA. That's not that unusual in rock: there are plenty of acts with fake full-stack amplifiers behind them but the sound is actually a miked tweed Deluxe or something like that hidden behind the stack of amps.
    Beauty is as close to terror as we can well endure. -Rainer Maria Rilke

User Info Menu

Hawaiian noises.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara View Post
    The Grateful Dead did tours in the early 90s with no on-stage amps in an effort to save their hearing. However, their early efforts with in-ear monitors were counterproductive in that regard, and made matters worse. I did a few gigs running from a preamp (actually a Zoom MS-100bt, usually, which had a hot enough output) to the PA and liked the simplicity.

I met one rock guitarist who uses a floor pedal/preamp unit (either Zoom or Boss, I don't remember) and has a fake amplifier behind him; it's just the cabinet with a faceplate on it, weighs about 15-20 pounds. He runs straight into the PA. That's not that unusual in rock: there are plenty of acts with fake full-stack amplifiers behind them but the sound is actually a miked tweed Deluxe or something like that hidden behind the stack of amps.
    Well the GD sound systems were legendary. I listen to a lot of Dead on XM—sometimes their playing even justifies the incredible sound. ;-)

Not surprised about the fake amp. I really wonder if Clapton and Bonamassa and those guys do that.

I will say this...the sound quality these days at the shows I go to see is stellar 9 out of 10 times. I don’t care what setup they are using. And that includes outdoor festivals. I think the sound guys have finally figured it out for all types of venues.
    “Without music, life would be a mistake”--Friedrich Nietzsche

Current lineup: Gibson ES-135 ('02), Peerless Sunset, Harmony Brilliant Cutaway ('64), Godin 5th Avenue, Alvarez AC60 A/E classical, Kay K37 ('56), Fender Squier VM Jazz bass, several ukes. Amps: Fishman Artist, Fender SCXD, Pignose 7-100.