1. #1

    User Info Menu

    I have a DV Mark Little Jazz amp and am quite happy with it. However, I am an insatiably curious fellow and I need to "scratch the itch" of trying a Henriksen The Blu amp after reading so much about it.

    I am not a skilled player and (subsequently/logically) I do not gig.

    Features and price aside, how do these amps compare solely from a "tone(s)" perspective?

    I fully understand that the only real answer is to compare them side by side in my own environment.
    However, any comments from the skilled, esteemed, knowledgeable, experienced (enough butter yet?) Jazz Guitar Forum members about the comparison would be appreciated.

    Thanks

    Dave

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    Hi Dave,
    "Insatiably curious" is a denial symptom for those with GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome), a serious disorder afflicting mostly guitarists, it seems, and not horn players. The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem ...

    That being said, and ignoring my own gear-aholic recovery efforts of (not) helping others with the disorder, I've owned both, and prefer the Blu, although they both have strengths. Sometimes describing "tone" is like describing wine, and I don't have a great vocabulary for either -- I like it or I don't! You're right, of course: comparing them yourself is best, and even with good adjectives (i.e., tube-like, jammy, polytone-like, chewy, etc.), it'll still come down to you liking it or not. I've seen a couple used Blu's on Reverb lately; if you have extra cash .... (come to the Dark Side!)

    Also, FWIW, I'm a "tube guy," and still enjoy gigging with my Blu.

    Good luck!

    Marc

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy View Post
    Hi Dave,
    "Insatiably curious" is a denial symptom for those with GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome), a serious disorder afflicting mostly guitarists, it seems, and not horn players. The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem ...

    That being said, and ignoring my own gear-aholic recovery efforts of (not) helping others with the disorder, I've owned both, and prefer the Blu, although they both have strengths. Sometimes describing "tone" is like describing wine, and I don't have a great vocabulary for either -- I like it or I don't! You're right, of course: comparing them yourself is best, and even with good adjectives (i.e., tube-like, jammy, polytone-like, chewy, etc.), it'll still come down to you liking it or not. I've seen a couple used Blu's on Reverb lately; if you have extra cash .... (come to the Dark Side!)

    Also, FWIW, I'm a "tube guy," and still enjoy gigging with my Blu.

    Good luck!

    Marc
    Marc ...Thanks for your response. The fact that you have owned both and prefer the Blu was a very helpful comment.

    I have actually been doing well with my GAS until recently when a couple of guitarists at our local jazz club each raved about their Henriksen amps. One had a "Blu" and the other was using a "Bud". GAS attack!

    Ironic that should choose describing wine as a comparison for describing "tone" I am a huge red wine enthusiast and some of the descriptors are very "creative"...to say the least. I recently read "on the nose, it is like forest floor" and "it tastes of new leather"...seriously!

    Thanks for the info about Reverb. I am in Canada and we pay about 35% on the USD. Combining the exchange with shipping can get expensive.

    I can try one at my home for about a week if I pay the shipping (~$30.00 USD each way).
    If I keep it, I "save" $30.00...sort of...LOL?

    Thanks again!

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    I've never owned a Blu but I did own a Bud and I currently own a Little Jazz. The Bud definitely had more clean headroom than the Little Jazz and was smaller but I actually prefer the sound of Little Jazz. To my ears it's softer/warmer/more ear friendly. That's really just a taste issue but that's the way I hear it both with my Little Jazz and my Micro 50 Jazz with a cab.
    My CD "Bare Handed" is available as a download at Bandcamp.com
    http://jimsoloway.bandcamp.com/album/bare-handed

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway View Post
    I've never owned a Blu but I did own a Bud and I currently own a Little Jazz. The Bud definitely had more clean headroom than the Little Jazz and was smaller but I actually prefer the sound of Little Jazz. To my ears it's softer/warmer/more ear friendly. That's really just a taste issue but that's the way I hear it both with my Little Jazz and my Micro 50 Jazz with a cab.
    Thanks Jim.

    Your comments are much appreciated and very helpful. I don't need the additional headroom at all and "softer/warmer/more ear friendly" certainly is what I want from a tone perspective.

    BTW...I read the thread about your new software. Congratulations! I hope it will eventually be available for Macs

    Cheers

    Dave

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    I've heard several players who I respect rave about the Bud and Blu. I played a Bud upstairs at Rudy's. They were using it to demo vintage D'Angelicos, which is interesting in itself.

    When it came time to buy one, I bought the LJ. It was about a third the price of the Bud. I've never had a chance to AB it against the Bud or Blu.

    But, the important thing to me is that I can get my sound out of the LJ. And, it's loud enough for almost everything I do (I've done 19 pc big band gigs with it). It has replaced my beloved 64 Ampeg Reverberocket as the amp I use in my own practice room. . Oddly, they don't sound as different as you'd think, but the LJ sounds cleaner on chords.

    So, while I understand that I might prefer the Bud/Blu in an AB comparison, it's hard to imagine a sound so much better that I'd regret picking the LJ.

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar View Post
    I've heard several players who I respect rave about the Bud and Blu. I played a Bud upstairs at Rudy's. They were using it to demo vintage D'Angelicos, which is interesting in itself.

    When it came time to buy one, I bought the LJ. It was about a third the price of the Bud. I've never had a chance to AB it against the Bud or Blu.

    So, while I understand that I might prefer the Bud/Blu in an AB comparison, it's hard to imagine a sound so much better that I'd regret picking the LJ.
    Thanks. This is a very helpful comment...especially given the difference in cost.

    In addition, I have been pondering this and I'm not sure how much success I would have when trying to sell my LJ locally.
    I certainly wouldn't want/need to keep both the Blu and the LJ.

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Greco View Post
    Thanks Jim.

    Your comments are much appreciated and very helpful. I don't need the additional headroom at all and "softer/warmer/more ear friendly" certainly is what I want from a tone perspective.

    BTW...I read the thread about your new software. Congratulations! I hope it will eventually be available for Macs

    Cheers

    Dave
    Thanks Dave.

    I should probably add that my favorite tone that I've gotten from any of these rigs is my Micro 50 Jazz head with a cab. I currently have a Buscarino Chameleon which sounds great but I've tried the head with a couple of other cabs and it sounded really good with all of them. I think it would be amazing with a RE NY8 and I'm sure it would go well with the Toob.
    My CD "Bare Handed" is available as a download at Bandcamp.com
    http://jimsoloway.bandcamp.com/album/bare-handed