The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 32

User Info Menu

I have a DV Mark Little Jazz amp and am quite happy with it. However, I am an insatiably curious fellow and I need to "scratch the itch" of trying a Henriksen The Blu amp after reading so much about it.

I am not a skilled player and (subsequently/logically) I do not gig.

Features and price aside, how do these amps compare solely from a "tone(s)" perspective?

I fully understand that the only real answer is to compare them side by side in my own environment.
    However, any comments from the skilled, esteemed, knowledgeable, experienced (enough butter yet?) Jazz Guitar Forum members about the comparison would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi Dave,
    "Insatiably curious" is a denial symptom for those with GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome), a serious disorder afflicting mostly guitarists, it seems, and not horn players. The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem ...

That being said, and ignoring my own gear-aholic recovery efforts of (not) helping others with the disorder, I've owned both, and prefer the Blu, although they both have strengths. Sometimes describing "tone" is like describing wine, and I don't have a great vocabulary for either -- I like it or I don't! You're right, of course: comparing them yourself is best, and even with good adjectives (i.e., tube-like, jammy, polytone-like, chewy, etc.), it'll still come down to you liking it or not. I've seen a couple used Blu's on Reverb lately; if you have extra cash .... (come to the Dark Side!)

Also, FWIW, I'm a "tube guy," and still enjoy gigging with my Blu.

Good luck!

Marc

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Hi Dave,
    "Insatiably curious" is a denial symptom for those with GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome), a serious disorder afflicting mostly guitarists, it seems, and not horn players. The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem ...

That being said, and ignoring my own gear-aholic recovery efforts of (not) helping others with the disorder, I've owned both, and prefer the Blu, although they both have strengths. Sometimes describing "tone" is like describing wine, and I don't have a great vocabulary for either -- I like it or I don't! You're right, of course: comparing them yourself is best, and even with good adjectives (i.e., tube-like, jammy, polytone-like, chewy, etc.), it'll still come down to you liking it or not. I've seen a couple used Blu's on Reverb lately; if you have extra cash .... (come to the Dark Side!)

Also, FWIW, I'm a "tube guy," and still enjoy gigging with my Blu.

Good luck!

Marc
    Marc ...Thanks for your response. The fact that you have owned both and prefer the Blu was a very helpful comment.

I have actually been doing well with my GAS until recently when a couple of guitarists at our local jazz club each raved about their Henriksen amps. One had a "Blu" and the other was using a "Bud". GAS attack!

Ironic that should choose describing wine as a comparison for describing "tone" I am a huge red wine enthusiast and some of the descriptors are very "creative"...to say the least. I recently read "on the nose, it is like forest floor" and "it tastes of new leather"...seriously!

Thanks for the info about Reverb. I am in Canada and we pay about 35% on the USD. Combining the exchange with shipping can get expensive.

I can try one at my home for about a week if I pay the shipping (~$30.00 USD each way).
    If I keep it, I "save" $30.00...sort of...LOL?

Thanks again!

User Info Menu

I've never owned a Blu but I did own a Bud and I currently own a Little Jazz. The Bud definitely had more clean headroom than the Little Jazz and was smaller but I actually prefer the sound of Little Jazz. To my ears it's softer/warmer/more ear friendly. That's really just a taste issue but that's the way I hear it both with my Little Jazz and my Micro 50 Jazz with a cab.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    I've never owned a Blu but I did own a Bud and I currently own a Little Jazz. The Bud definitely had more clean headroom than the Little Jazz and was smaller but I actually prefer the sound of Little Jazz. To my ears it's softer/warmer/more ear friendly. That's really just a taste issue but that's the way I hear it both with my Little Jazz and my Micro 50 Jazz with a cab.
    Thanks Jim.

Your comments are much appreciated and very helpful. I don't need the additional headroom at all and "softer/warmer/more ear friendly" certainly is what I want from a tone perspective.

BTW...I read the thread about your new software. Congratulations! I hope it will eventually be available for Macs

Cheers

Dave

User Info Menu

I've heard several players who I respect rave about the Bud and Blu. I played a Bud upstairs at Rudy's. They were using it to demo vintage D'Angelicos, which is interesting in itself.

When it came time to buy one, I bought the LJ. It was about a third the price of the Bud. I've never had a chance to AB it against the Bud or Blu.

But, the important thing to me is that I can get my sound out of the LJ. And, it's loud enough for almost everything I do (I've done 19 pc big band gigs with it). It has replaced my beloved 64 Ampeg Reverberocket as the amp I use in my own practice room. . Oddly, they don't sound as different as you'd think, but the LJ sounds cleaner on chords.

So, while I understand that I might prefer the Bud/Blu in an AB comparison, it's hard to imagine a sound so much better that I'd regret picking the LJ.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    I've heard several players who I respect rave about the Bud and Blu. I played a Bud upstairs at Rudy's. They were using it to demo vintage D'Angelicos, which is interesting in itself.

When it came time to buy one, I bought the LJ. It was about a third the price of the Bud. I've never had a chance to AB it against the Bud or Blu.

So, while I understand that I might prefer the Bud/Blu in an AB comparison, it's hard to imagine a sound so much better that I'd regret picking the LJ.
    Thanks. This is a very helpful comment...especially given the difference in cost.

In addition, I have been pondering this and I'm not sure how much success I would have when trying to sell my LJ locally.
    I certainly wouldn't want/need to keep both the Blu and the LJ.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greco
    Thanks Jim.

Your comments are much appreciated and very helpful. I don't need the additional headroom at all and "softer/warmer/more ear friendly" certainly is what I want from a tone perspective.

BTW...I read the thread about your new software. Congratulations! I hope it will eventually be available for Macs

Cheers

Dave
    Thanks Dave.

I should probably add that my favorite tone that I've gotten from any of these rigs is my Micro 50 Jazz head with a cab. I currently have a Buscarino Chameleon which sounds great but I've tried the head with a couple of other cabs and it sounded really good with all of them. I think it would be amazing with a RE NY8 and I'm sure it would go well with the Toob.

User Info Menu

henriksen does worth 1300$?

here’s my question.
    compared with a cheep used polytone....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by archtopdream63
    henriksen does worth 1300$?

here’s my question.
    compared with a cheep used polytone....

I am in Canada (about 100 km west of Toronto).

Used Polytones are not all that easy to find in "our area"* (*which I'm confining to 500 km radius of where I live...Canada is a big place), but they do surface every now and again. I am reluctant to get a Polytone amp as parts are not that easy to find and Polytone is no longer in business. Maybe I'm being somewhat "unfair' and neurotic.

My DV Mark Little Jazz amp was about $500.00 (converted to U.S. dollars). This is still expensive, but not close to what I would have to pay for a Henriksen here. Used Henriksen amps are seldom seen for sale. I suspect they are sold quickly without needing to be advertised.
    Last edited by Greco; 11-04-2019 at 10:10 PM.

User Info Menu

The Blu is really special - I think it sounds great and just has a superb warm tone (even with the tweeter on, which is usually how I use it to get a bigger sound). Every now and then I take it to a rehearsal and alternate between it and the Fender Blues Jr. amp that lives there - I think the Blu sounds just as "big" and arguably sounds as good or better...definitely easier to get a reliable tone with the Blu...I can sometimes dial in a better sound on the Fender but it's a lot more work.

The Blu sounds warmer than the Bud (well, at least vs. the original Bud).

The Blu and all other Henriksen products are currently on sale for 11% off.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny
    The Blu is really special - I think it sounds great and just has a superb warm tone (even with the tweeter on, which is usually how I use it to get a bigger sound). Every now and then I take it to a rehearsal and alternate between it and the Fender Blues Jr. amp that lives there - I think the Blu sounds just as "big" and arguably sounds as good or better...definitely easier to get a reliable tone with the Blu...I can sometimes dial in a better sound on the Fender but it's a lot more work.

Where are you located? If you are reasonably close, I would enjoy possibly meeting you and/or going to one of your gigs and finding out more about your :"Blu" amp.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny

so you will buy a 1300$ henriksen over a 400$ used polytone ?

User Info Menu

so you will buy a 1300$ henriksen over a 400$ used polytone ?
    Archtop..63 -- not sure where you live .. it's $890 in the States, and yes, I'd buy it over the Polytone. [Fortunately, I already own the Blu, so I don't have to worry about it.]

User Info Menu

I just asked because henriksen are retiring the old polytones (even if non working) just for 50/100 dollars..
    They are competitors... even if the polytone is a dead company!
    Tommy Gumina was a genius..

I suspect he want to put the final tombstone on polytone.

Buy all polytones for kill them... and have a market all for you! LOL

It’s a bankrupt company symptoms.

..too complicated business.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Archtop..63 -- not sure where you live .. it's $890 in the States, and yes, I'd buy it over the Polytone. [Fortunately, I already own the Blu, so I don't have to worry about it.]
    no man
    999$ the blu
    1299$ the bud

User Info Menu

I just asked because henriksen are retiring the old polytones (even if non working) just for 50/100 dollars..
    They are competitors... even if the polytone is a dead company!
    Tommy Gumina was a genius..

I suspect he want to put the final tombstone on polytone.

Buy all polytones for kill them... and have a market all for you! LOL

It’s a bankrupt company symptoms.

..too complicated business.
    What is your source of this information?

How can it be validated?

User Info Menu

What is your source of this information?

How can it be validated?
    Dead Polytone - Henriksen Amplifiers

User Info Menu

Thanks

Very interesting.

EDIT: Did you also see this line at the bottom of the page in your link above?:

**This offer is not exclusive to Polytone products, we will accept any amplifier brand in any condition and apply $100 in trade.

User Info Menu

funny method!! LOL

if you have a dead Lamborghini full of dust in your garage, give me a call!

I will make you a 10000 $ discount
    LOL

User Info Menu

Thanks

Very interesting.

EDIT: Did you also see this line at the bottom of the page in your link above?:

**This offer is not exclusive to Polytone products, we will accept any amplifier brand in any condition and apply $100 in trade.
    yes, it mean more confusing Ads

User Info Menu

I am quite happy with the Little Jazz. On several occasions now I have had people talk to me after performing and they have said: "That sound was coming out of that little amp?"

User Info Menu

little jazz vs henriksen
    the winner is polytone LOL

User Info Menu

little jazz vs henriksen
    the winner is polytone LOL
    I have owned maybe 6 Polytones, currently own 2, and several DVMark amps. I think the DVMark amps do a very good job and if it weren't for my sentimental attachment to Polytone, I could have been very happy with the DVMark Micro50 head or the Little Jazz amp.

It's not as obvious a choice as you seem to suggest.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bbmaj7#5#9
    What I’m meaning is that professional musicians back in the days didn’t have millions of choices that we have today or actually didn’t care what type of gear they used. If I remember everything correctly I think it was Barney Kessel who said something like ”a functioning amp is a good amp”. For more than a half century ago the sortiment of music equipment wasn’t as established as it is today. Therefore many players had to use the gear that was offered for the moment. Despite my age I’ve musically grown up in this primitive way of using guitar gear. I have several different types of instruments and amps, but as long as everything works I’m very happy. What I’m trying to say is that no person has a definite answer about what type of gear is best for you to use, neither we’re professionals or hobby musicians.
    polytone is the best for me, old but gold!
    it’s an opinion, considering costs, solid sound, and other things.
    I don’t like modern ss amp, I told many times, good but colds.