The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

Can anybody recommend a good wah pedal? Something that can sound a little like Skunk Baxter on East St Louis Toodle-oo?

I used to have a Morley Volume/Wah pedal that was pretty good. I liked the optical approach, just based on intuition. Seems cleaner. But I'm not married to the idea.

Small footprint would be nice. I already have a Steve Vai Morley volume pedal, so I don't need a dual-function unit.

This is basically a toy for messing around and experimenting. But it has to sound really good.

Anybody got something they like?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    Can anybody recommend a good wah pedal? Something that can sound a little like Skunk Baxter on East St Louis Toodle-oo??
    Actually, I think it was Becker using a talk box. Baxter played the pedal steel part.

User Info Menu

I’ve got the Morley mini which might work for you. Unless you need something specific stay basic - Vox or Morley or a clone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dlew919
    I’ve got the Morley mini which might work for you. Unless you need something specific stay basic - Vox or Morley or a clone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    +1 on the Morely Mini Wah - solid as a brick sh*thouse

User Info Menu

The Dunlop Crybaby mini is pretty solid too, and at a good price.

User Info Menu

I'm using my Wah mostly for tone shaping and I like the fact that my Morley has the on/off footswitch separated from the the actual pedal.

User Info Menu

These are the best ever made IMO....joe gagan pedals and more | Reverb

User Info Menu

I use a standard CryBaby, only modified to have to hard-wired bypass switch. In this example the first solo is mine with the CryBaby that I just overdubbed. The second one that comes it is the one on the original track by LC.

User Info Menu

Go to a store and try at least a Cry Baby and a Vox, they are quite different.

User Info Menu

Real McCoy Custom makes great wahs, but not cheap.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Actually, I think it was Becker using a talk box. Baxter played the pedal steel part.
    I never knew that, cosmic, and I'm a big Dan fan. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blille
    Go to a store and try at least a Cry Baby and a Vox, they are quite different.
    I understand that they were, at least at on point the same pedal - it’s just that there was a licensing issue so were rebranded in the US.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Thanks, everybody, for your insights!

I decided to go with a Morley Mini Wah-Volume unit. I bought an open box unit from Guitar Center for $95. It will fit my pedalboard better, the price is nice, and I'll have access to both wah and volume--neither of which I use all that much, but I still like to have them at my disposal.

I'll move my current Morley Lil' Alligator over to my lap steel rig, where I think I will enjoy making some nice chordal volume swells.

Cheers.

User Info Menu

I like stock GCB-95 Crybabies but they do need the True Bypass mod applied at the very least. Lots of resources here:
    Changing the tone of the GCB-95 Crybaby – stinkfoot.se
    Having said this my GCB-95 revision G is an ongoing electronics project that has nearly every mod imaginable. I have decided to embrace the last frontier and add an LED as well as that was about the only thing I haven't done for it. If you want a good value cheapy I like the Artec (sometimes sold under Washburn brand) Vintage Power Wah which is more a less a Morley optical wah copy.
    Last edited by wildschwein; 08-24-2019 at 05:57 AM.

User Info Menu

I've got an old Cry Baby made by the Thomas Organ Co. It's all the wah pedal I ever needed.