The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 45

User Info Menu

Okay, I saw the tape over the top f-hole on Henry Johnson’s Heritage and just have to ask if others have done this as well.

1.) How effective is it in reducing feedback?

2.) Is it safe to use on a nitro finish?

3.). Any other comments?

Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Regardless of how effective it could be, the tape will eat the nitro. Just order some f-hole plugs.

User Info Menu

If I'm going to play loud enough that I cannot control feedback by (1) sitting/standing in a useful relationship from the amp, or (2) employing a laminate-body archtop (this usually takes care of things), then I just switch to a Strat or a Tele.

Almost always, though, (1) or (2) above works for me. I would never use tape on the guitar. I don't imagine that I would plug an f-hole(s), either, with one of the foam doo-dads.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    I don't imagine that I would plug an f-hole(s), either, with one of the foam doo-dads.
    I didn't know what to make of them either, but they came with my old Hofner Jazzica and worked perfectly.

User Info Menu

Yeah...I've seen them in use from about six feet away. They work great. I just don't like "stuff" on my guitar. For example, I never attach a headstock tuner to any of my guitars. I'm just a nerd.

User Info Menu

Perhaps a tape with a gentler adhesive might make for a better choice?
    Something like Gaffer's tape or maybe Masking tape for delicate surfaces?

User Info Menu

Painter's tape might work, but it's not much in the looks department. I use it all the time for marking the bridge location if I change strings or do other work on an archtop. I've never tried it for covering the soundholes, though, just never saw the need. Other solutions work for me.

User Info Menu

Has anybody tried blowing up ordinary balloons inside the guitar? I've read about this and always wondered if it worked.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the comments. They tell me what I wanted to know, which is that no one here uses the packing tape method. Don’t like the idea of plugs in the f-holes myself. I’ve got an Eagle with a floating Kent Armstrong PAF. It isn’t a huge problem... just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something.

User Info Menu

Been covered many times here.
    I ordered a pair of Doug Plugs about 12 yrs ago for my old L-5 and they're about the best $50 I ever spent.

Almost can't tell they're there and they work great.
    I play in a lot of Hammond organ bands w a Twin Reverb right behind me and they do the job.
    When I got the guitar it had old packing tape on the f holes and it left marks in the nitro. I was able to remove the marks but I'd never use that stuff.
    Might be safe on a poly guitar but I never tried it.

User Info Menu

I am the current conservator for this guitar. This is what duct tape does after about fifty years. Is that cool or what?
    The one and only Tommy Tedesco!
    The Packing Tape Solution (Covering F-Holes)-tedescotapedfholes-jpgThe Packing Tape Solution (Covering F-Holes)-ycc3b6abr8c2yvggokvxrw-jpg

User Info Menu

Ouch! That hurts! Duct tape?!?!

User Info Menu

Technically gaffer's tape, but generally referred to as duct tape. It is probably what was conveniently at hand at the time he decided to use something.

User Info Menu

Gaffer’s tape isn’t duct tape. It’s probably safer on a guitar finish, but only for a short time.
    Duct Tape vs Gaffer’s Tape: The Right Tool for the Job | ECHOtape

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SandChannel
    Regardless of how effective it could be, the tape will eat the nitro. Just order some f-hole plugs.
    I've been using it for years on a '63 kessel, never ate the finish. Paul Bollenback and Benson, Rodney Jones and many others use it and haven't had a finish issue.

User Info Menu

Is someone out there crazy ???? Tape on a guitar for more than 10 minutes???????

At work, where fine woodwork is what we do, we are INSTRUCTED to remove any tape as soon as the work is finished. Why??? It will damage a finish. Even painters' tape.

You wouldn't know it until you try to remove old tape, yes, even painters' tape. If you can remove the aged tape, be prepared to witness an imprint of the tape, and maybe damage to the finish. Double the effect if any moisture is present, or sunlight, or changes in atmosphere. You get the idea.

And, I don't think that tape is gonna prevent feedback. You have a guitar top that's vibrating.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Mack
    Is someone out there crazy ???? Tape on a guitar for more than 10 minutes???????

At work, where fine woodwork is what we do, we are INSTRUCTED to remove any tape as soon as the work is finished. Why??? It will damage a finish. Even painters' tape.

You wouldn't know it until you try to remove old tape, yes, even painters' tape. If you can remove the aged tape, be prepared to witness an imprint of the tape, and maybe damage to the finish. Double the effect if any moisture is present, or sunlight, or changes in atmosphere. You get the idea.

And, I don't think that tape is gonna prevent feedback. You have a guitar top that's vibrating.
    Jimmy, I've been using it for years on a 175, 165 and '63 kessel with no issues. Benson, bollenback,jones and many others use it. It definitely eliminates feedback. Works better than plugs too. Not sure why but it does.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    Jimmy, I've been using it for years on a 175, 165 and '63 kessel with no issues. Benson, bollenback,jones and many others use it. It definitely eliminates feedback. Works better than plugs too. Not sure why but it does.
    Are you leaving it on for prolonged periods or do you routinely remove and reapply?

User Info Menu

Mark Farner (Grand Funk Railroad) used a Musikraft Messenger until he wore out the frets. It's a semi hollow body and fed back like hell. He stuffed the F holes with foam rubber and covered them with masking tape. Evidently it worked.

User Info Menu

I recently had my first feedback problem ever with my 175 through a Henriksen 110ER.
    My quartet was crammed into the corner of a packed room. New experience !!!!
    I had the amp aimed up a little and right behind me. Certain low notes wanted to howl like the wolf.
    I damped those suckers down with spare fingers and soldiered on. Not my best comp tone ever, but my solos were OK.
    Still the whole situation got me thinking. Definitely not a master of louder.

User Info Menu

I had good luck working a thick piece of foam padding into the F hole and wedging it between the top and the back. It takes patience and you need to be careful about the wiring, but it worked beautifully for me. Obviously it's not something you'd want to do and undo all the time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Are you leaving it on for prolonged periods or do you routinely remove and reapply?
    take it off the next day.

User Info Menu

You can always weaken the painter's tape adhesive BEFORE putting it on your instrument by repetidly applying and removing it on some clothes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    Has anybody tried blowing up ordinary balloons inside the guitar? I've read about this and always wondered if it worked.
    lol that's awesome

User Info Menu

I have a couple of pieces of furniture foam that I rough cut to shape, and I stick them inside if I know I'm going to face a situation.