Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

I reluctantly sing praise to a product with such a limited availability. Don't know the situation in the U.S., but in Europe I believe it's Thomann and a few other major traders only. Anyway, our sample arrived from the Big T a couple of days ago and has been lightly tested on both guitar and bass. Compared to G+K MB 200, the bass end is lighter, and maybe the stated 200W output is a bit optimistic. So for bass, my favorite remains the MB 200, which has a 4-band EQ and the contour switch. However, the BAM is perfectly adequate for the role, too. For guitar, the preference swings in favor of the BAM, which is warmer and less sterile. Haven't tried it with a reverb box yet, but believe that only a tad is needed. Overall, a very positive impression so far. The real test will come when the gigging season picks up after the summer lull.

The photo shows the BAM200 together with an advanced TOOB 6.5 GP (Guitar Ported) prototype. Ain't they sweet? While the BAM constitutes an obvious risk for a max. 20W Jensen, the max. 100W Eminence Alphalite 6A seems to take it well and produce nice jazz tones. At under 7 lbs., an utterly compact and portable rig fit for public transit and club gigs.

For those puzzled by the headline, "ticks" and "cuckoos" are verbs, not nouns. Originally referring to a cuckoo clock in working order, this Finnish saying now relates to everything that works as it should.

TC Electronic BAM200 arrived - ticks and cuckoos-toob-baby-bam-jpg

Disclaimer: The OP develops, makes and sells the TOOB line of ultra-light cabinets for guitar, bass and other musical instruments. A definitely non-profit activity...
    Last edited by Gitterbug; 08-14-2019 at 04:49 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sounds like you've nailed it Gitterbug !

I'm running my BAM200 through
    an eminance beta8 in a conventional wood cab (plenty loud but too heavy)
    and a 5" Ariston injection moulded pa cab
    (Sounds good but not quite loud enough for gigs with a drummer .... damn)

I think the Alphalite 6a might just be the Goldilocks zone

7lbs .... well done , we're free !
    a guitarist could travel anywhere easily on public transport
    with that rig .... Yes !

I predict you'll sell a lot of these 6.5GP Toobs

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug View Post
    For guitar, the preference swings in favor of the BAM, which is warmer and less sterile. Haven't tried it with a reverb box yet, but believe that only a tad is needed. Overall, a very positive impression so far. The real test will come when the gigging season picks up after the summer lull.

The photo shows the BAM200 together with an advanced TOOB 6.5 GP (Guitar Ported) prototype. Ain't they sweet?.
    sure are !

also it's good to have your initial affirmation of the BAM
    as you have way more experience than me
    with the many different lightweight amps around now

User Info Menu

I gave in and ordered a BAM; it's such a good price it's hard to resist. Wasn't expecting too much, but so far I agree, it sounds very good with not too much tweaking needed. I've compared it to GSS 100w head ( which I really like) and this sounds about the same, quite 'warm' ( that word again..). One has to wonder how thay can be so cheap and work so well. But, they seem to get warm quite quickly; there might even be a little fan lurking in that tiny casing.

About cab portability - I'm trying it through a GSS 10" cabinet, very compact and light @ 15lb and 12' x 12' x 11". Even I can carry that on a short trip. And it has croc skin covering..just like old Selmer amps. Speaker is a 100 db Ragin' cajun, a seriously loud guitar speaker, but very good with some treble cut, similar to a beta 10.

For anyone interested, I was sent a Barefaced guitar cab to try, fitted with their 200w bass speaker. This is a very interesting cabinet; it does what it says on the tin and really fills the room, with massive bass and very loud. I think in this config. it works really well for almost any style except jazz - the bass is so massive it overpowers the mids, and so the cab lacks punch and presence. They are sending some other speakers to try in it. Maybe the original guitar speakers will work better, we'll see. But it certainly fills a room, if that's what you want, Very light, too

Anyway, some progress towards that eventual goal of fab sound out of a 10lb set up...

User Info Menu

To Franz: With a standard 12" TOOB 12J and BAM, you'd be just 8 oz above the goal. A 10J with a cloth or rattan grill instead of metal will bring you right to the target. And, with a TOOB 6.5, loaded with a classy 100-130W speaker from Eminence or SICA/Jensen, you'll be at 6 lbs, the amp still included. The 6.5 line will be available in October, as soon as a subcontractor is up to speed with mass-produced 3D printed components. We are working on UK distribution but everybody seems paralyzed with Brexit. Direct sale is always an option (several units in UK already).

Cheers, Markku

User Info Menu

For those puzzled by the headline, "ticks" and "cuckoos" are verbs, not nouns. Originally referring to a cuckoo clock in working order, this Finnish saying now relates to everything that works as it should.
    You certainly had me wondering. Thanks for including an explanation.

User Info Menu

it would be great if someone could post some soundfiles ........
    _________
    JazzNote

User Info Menu

To Jazznote: I hope to present new demo videos shortly on TOOB's YouTube channel. Just when, can't tell you yet. My two sons have pro skills and equipment, but less than unlimited time for Dad's folly. My own playing would do no justice to the products, so we need demo artists of the highest order. They're available and willing, but getting everything together is a puzzle.

User Info Menu

The 6.5 line will be available in October, as soon as a subcontractor is up to speed with mass-produced 3D printed components.
    We are working on UK distribution but everybody seems paralyzed with Brexit.
    Cheers, Markku
    The TOOB products are definitely very innovative and interesting. And expensive!. The 6.5 unit is a good solution - it seems to have worked for the Bud/ Blu- but I'd want to know there would be enough volume with an inefficient 93 Db speaker in an unusual cabinet, and (eg) a BAM. But, I like the quirkiness/ innovation of the whole idea. Presumably the 12' units are aimed at other than jazzers..

Brexit..you have no idea. I'll say no more.

User Info Menu

Expensive??? Anything not made in the Far East is expensive by definition. Yet, we are even cheaper in the sense that, after two and a half years, not a cent has been taken out of the business yet. The products are all hand made, and think of the utility: up to 70% lighter than anything else. No wonder most TOOB users are pro musicians. That should say a lot about sound quality. Do inquire about our direct pricing. Your perception may change.

User Info Menu

Expensive??? Anything not made in the Far East is expensive by definition. Yet, we are even cheaper in the sense that, after two and a half years, not a cent has been taken out of the business yet. The products are all hand made, and think of the utility: up to 70% lighter than anything else. No wonder most TOOB users are pro musicians. That should say a lot about sound quality. Do inquire about our direct pricing. Your perception may change.
    Markku, I'm just reflecting what I saw as prices on the website. It's a very competitive marketplace, but I agree that quality is worth paying for - that's why I use ( expensive) mambo amps, handmade in the UK. Yes, the utility is obvious. I said the products were expensive, that's a fact; I didn't say they weren't worth it. That's for the individual to judge.

Some details about pro players already using the product would be very interesting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Franz 1997 View Post
    I gave in and ordered a BAM; it's such a good price it's hard to resist. Wasn't expecting too much, but so far I agree, it sounds very good with not too much tweaking needed. I've compared it to GSS 100w head ( which I really like) and this sounds about the same, quite 'warm' ( that word again..). One has to wonder how thay can be so cheap and work so well. But, they seem to get warm quite quickly; there might even be a little fan lurking in that tiny casing.

About cab portability - I'm trying it through a GSS 10" cabinet, very compact and light @ 15lb and 12' x 12' x 11". Even I can carry that on a short trip. And it has croc skin covering..just like old Selmer amps. Speaker is a 100 db Ragin' cajun, a seriously loud guitar speaker, but very good with some treble cut, similar to a beta 10.

For anyone interested, I was sent a Barefaced guitar cab to try, fitted with their 200w bass speaker. This is a very interesting cabinet; it does what it says on the tin and really fills the room, with massive bass and very loud. I think in this config. it works really well for almost any style except jazz - the bass is so massive it overpowers the mids, and so the cab lacks punch and presence. They are sending some other speakers to try in it. Maybe the original guitar speakers will work better, we'll see. But it certainly fills a room, if that's what you want, Very light, too

Anyway, some progress towards that eventual goal of fab sound out of a 10lb set up...
    Thanks Franz , I apreciate the infos .....velly interlestin ...
    shame about the Barefaced cab , yes probably the wrong driver
    I'd love to know how that goes ,

I'm gonna try the BAM200 into the new ZT extention cab
    I believe (but haven't confirmed ...)
    that the speaker is an eminance alpha 6a or possibly an alphalite 6a
    anyone know ?
    As used in the Bud and Blue
    so that should work ok , and be under 9lbs.....
    (and cheap)

ps yes my Bam gets warm too , seems ok though ....
    yes there is a fan on mine , I can't hear it though