The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 31

User Info Menu

Hello jazzguitar people,

I just stumbled across Victor Baker recently, very much love his work (both his his music and particularly his guitar building) and since then discovered quite a few makers who specialized in building "modern" jazz guitars that are favoured by the current young generation of world class players. I would like to buy a guitar like that in the future and currently try to determine all the possible options. Here are some makers I have found so far:

Victor Baker (US) - Model 15 and Model 16 ( $6k)

Moffa (IT)- Lorraine (no idea about the current price, I estimate $7k )

Schottmüller (GER)- Semi + Little Leona ( around $5,5k also necessary to visit and proof that you are worthy of buying. Only sells to "pros", kind of like dumble), also I am not really a fan of the byrdland scale.

Westville (JP) - Vanguard, semiacoustic ( $4,5)

Please add other makers. I am personally looking for a hollowbody model, not a semiacoustic. European makers prefered as I am based in the EU.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Don't really care for the Sonntag guitars. I played on once and didn't like it. The Elferink guitars are another thing though. The latest pictures on instagram are really nice and aim towards what I am looking for.

This finish

on this guitar

couldn't find too much info regarding the Marzio Model. On the site it says that there is a block only below the neck pickup... The sound in the video has a strong acoustic flavour along with the longer sustain I associate with these "new breed" jazz boxes. Really like what I am hearing. Now if it only had the options for a two Pickup version...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blue_lu
    couldn't find too much info regarding the Marzio Model. On the site it says that there is a block only below the neck pickup... The sound in the video has a strong acoustic flavour along with the longer sustain I associate with these "new breed" jazz boxes. Really like what I am hearing. Now if it only had the options for a two Pickup version...
    I'm pretty sure that you can contact the guy to discuss the specs you'd like.

User Info Menu

Email has been sent. Maybe someone on here has experience with the Marzino Model?

User Info Menu

Nice thread. I'm not the only one getting tired of sunbursts on every archtop.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    How about a glow in the dark blue sunburst!

Blue Ibanez archtop at DuckDuckGo

Doug

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    I happen to like sunburst when well done.

My Eastman AR610 is what they call traditional finish much like a violin, I like it. The Eastman AR605 that was stolen was a sunburst, I liked that one to. I can't say I like one over the other. It's the sound that's important to me.

User Info Menu

May I recommend you Fernando Alonso Jaen, who is an excellent archtop guitars builder based in Spain? He is a very talented luthier and a nice guy as well. I'm sure he can achieve whatever construction and finish you can desire.
    Jaen – Archtop Guitars Since 1992

User Info Menu

I've not played a Godin I liked (yet), but their bursts and finishes in general on archtops are rather nicely done.

User Info Menu

I have no personal experience with them but have seen Trenier guitars pretty highly spoken of here on the forum so you may wish to check out Bryant Trenier's guitars - he has the added advantage of being located in France as you indicated a preference for European luthiers
    Trenier Guitars

User Info Menu

Eastman Strings originated from a violin factory. I think their first product the Uptown (2004 AR810) originally only came in violin finish. My 2006 AR810CE has a varnished sunburst top but violin finish back and sides. Some people complain about the finish being delicate, but so far I’ve managed to avoid any chips, finish checking, etc.

User Info Menu

I own a Elferink Tonemaster archtop with slightly slimmer depth 2&1/2" to 3"
    I have been gigging with it for about 5 years or so. Really happy wit it overall.
    I asked for a slightly smaller Gibson L-5C Thin line style build. Thicker top like Gibson, 25&1/2" scale length, 1&3/4" nut width, fatter neck profile.

I opted for Elferink since the $ was strong against the euro at the time. So it ran around $4k plus brokerage fees around $200 or so.
    Franz does really good work and is approachable as well. I also like the look of the Marzio as a smaller archtop.

One other builder is Brad Nickerson who builds the Solstice 15" archtop. Not sure if he is still building?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

It's really great that there are so many great choices at reasonable prices.

I'd be remiss if I didn't also mention Mark Campellone guitars as well. Great deal in the used market.

User Info Menu

I own a VB 15, cello F holes. viloin finish, love it..been my main guitar for a couple years now. highly recommend.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzgtrl4
    I own a VB 15, cello F holes. viloin finish, love it..been my main guitar for a couple years now. highly recommend.

I am really in love with the sound and look of VB 15. Can I ask you a couple of questions: Do you have a soundpost in your VB15? Do you know how much it weighs? I am looking for something around 6.5 lbs at max. Preferably much lower weight...

Thank you!

User Info Menu

Hi

Yes it has the sound post. I haven't weighed it but ya it is light, id say 6-7 pounds

User Info Menu

Hi

Yes it has the sound post. I haven't weighed it but ya it is light, id say 6-7 pounds

thanks!

User Info Menu

Westville Vanguard is a semi-hollow guitar. 15 inch full hollow body models are the Solar and Corona (floating pickup). Great guitars, because of their size very comfortable to play. The bigger Unity, Azure and Grande are also full hollow models.

User Info Menu

Hofner started offering violin varnish finishes on some guitars in 2002. From 2003-2006, there were New Presidents, Jazzicas, and Verythin Classics/Stowells offered with violin varnish finishes. The Chancellor (introduced in 2004) was offered in either violin varnish or natural finish. The last run of @12 Jazzicas made by Hofner between 2016 and 2018 had violin varnish finishes. Two or three of these are for sale in Europe. The four or five remaining instruments will be for sale fairly soon in North America.
    Attached Images Attached Images Modern jazz guitars with cello / violin like finish-arch46a-jpg Modern jazz guitars with cello / violin like finish-arch46b-jpg Modern jazz guitars with cello / violin like finish-chanviolin1-jpg Modern jazz guitars with cello / violin like finish-chanviolin4-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 08-19-2019 at 12:35 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stevus
    Westville Vanguard is a semi-hollow guitar. 15 inch full hollow body models are the Solar and Corona (floating pickup). Great guitars, because of their size very comfortable to play. The bigger Unity, Azure and Grande are also full hollow models.
    Hi do you own a westville?, i always liked the way these look. i know someone that has two for sale a Kurt Rosewinkle model and one of the bigger single pickup westvilles...are they heavy?

User Info Menu

Hi do you own a westville?, i always liked the way these look. i know someone that has two for sale a Kurt Rosewinkle model and one of the bigger single pickup westvilles...are they heavy?
    I own the Westville Corona with floating pickup and split coil. Weight is about 3.2 kg. If you can buy one, don't hesitate. You won't regret it. Which models are for sale?