The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Any one tried them? Comparison to TI flats?
    thx

https://www.curtmangan.com/electric-...stainless-set/

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have them on my 1934 L-7 and I like them a lot. They are rougher and less refined than the TI's,
    but they have a certain character and I have grown very fond of them.
    I got the 11-52 set and subbed a 12 & 16 for the top two strings and I plan to use that same set on the guitar.
    BTW, I put them on the L-7 maybe a year ago and they still sound just great.
    So I'm a fan.

"They are rougher and less refined than the TI's,"

Do you mean sound wise, playability, or both? I usually play 12's with flat wound. Thx

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bosko
    "They are rougher and less refined than the TI's,"

Do you mean sound wise, playability, or both? I usually play 12's with flat wound. Thx
    Both. Really you just have to try a set to see if you like them. Some will, some won't.

FWIW, I have TI 12's on my 175, which work great on that guitar, but I am considering trying Chrome's on the 175 when the TI's are done -- which probably won't be for a couple of years LOL. I know the TI's are super popular on this Forum, but I don't think they are the perfect string for every guitar.

On the old L-7, I think the Curt Mangans are a perfect fit somehow.

User Info Menu

Not lots of fans of those strings in my neck of woods, I'm afraid.

They're almost only sold in guitar shows at a heavy discount, and that's only because they can be had in bulk at heavy discount three or four times a year from the distributor.

I'm a D'Addario guy in all strings but flatwounds, which I usually use either Galli or Dougal strings, whichever is cheapest at the time of purchase. TIs and La Bellas are just as good, but a lot more expensive, so I just don't consider'em.

User Info Menu

I like them and use them regularly. I’ve never noticed any roughness, and they last a long time.

But at $23 + shipping a set they aren’t cheap. You can get TI jazz flats for the same price from Amazon (with free shipping, if you are a Prime member).

AFAIK you can only buy them directly from Curt Mangan. If I could buy them significantly cheaper from a distributor I would definitely buy more.

@LtKojack: Who is the distributor who clears them out three or four times a year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Mangans are made in Colorado and since I live in Kansas, they are a fairly popular string around here. (Rounds moreso than Flats)
    I stumbled across Mangan flats at a local shop. Pretty sure I only paid $13 for them.