The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

Saw someone had listed this guitar and was puzzled. Looks original but obviously the switch and the additional knobs are puzzling since there is no additional pickup.

Any thoughts?Gibson ES-125 with selector switch?-1-27-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Maybe a piezo attached inside? It's odd, to be sure.

User Info Menu

Killswitch?

Totally guessing ...and it would be a total shame if I'm correct.

User Info Menu

Might be for a set of K and K Under the Soundboard Transducers...Did you ask?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greco
    Killswitch?

Totally guessing ...and it would be a total shame if I'm correct.
    What is a "killswitch" and why would that be a shame?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Might be for a set of K and K Under the Soundboard Transducers...Did you ask?
    I'm trying to find out more, but they don't seem to have a clue about guutars.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66
    I'm trying to find out more, but they don't seem to have a clue about guutars.
    The fact that they don't have a clue about guitars (or pretend not to) would send up a big red flag for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BBGuitar
    The fact that they don't have a clue about guitars (or pretend not to) would send up a big red flag for me.
    It's an estate sale a buddy told me about. So I have to check it out in person if I can.

User Info Menu

The extra knobs and switch are not deal-breaking for me if the price is good. They don't alter the ES-125 fundamentally. I would just treat it as I would a standard ES-125 with extra trimmings. It is going to play like an ES-125. Whatever it is they are wired to, just disconnect the wiring if it really bothers you.

How much is the estate asking?

PS It could be the previous owner thought about installing a bridge pickup, drilled the top for the pots and the switch and then changed his mind about cutting a hole in the top. He left the pots and switch where they are today to baffle future owners. A man with a warped sense of humour; I bet he is having a good laugh in his grave. "Boy, I'll like to see them figure that one out. Hyuk. Hyuk."

User Info Menu

It could be the previous owner thought about installing a bridge pickup, drilled the top for the pots and the switch and then changed his mind about cutting a hole in the top. He left the pots and switch where they are today to baffle future owners.
    I'm putting my money on this hypothesis.

User Info Menu

I support the K&K hypothesis. I considered doing the same once.

Or maybe it controls the TV.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66
    What is a "killswitch" and why would that be a shame?
    Sorry...I didn't pay attention and notice that the guitar has 4 pots...DOH
    Hence, the toggle makes sense given the controls/pots but not given that it has a single pickup.

A "killswitch" cuts out the signal from the pickup to the output.
    It would be a shame (IMO) because it has such little functional value to warrant the drilling of a hole in the top of such a beautiful, iconic guitar.

User Info Menu

I'm thinking the owner was wanting to convert to a two-pickup guitar and as noted above, balked at cutting into the body for the bridge pickup. Maybe this was just his project guitar so he never bothered to pull the pots. I wonder if the extra pots are wired and the wiring harness is inside?

User Info Menu

The only way to find out is to look at the inside with a mirror or camera. I'd take an inspection mirror and a good LED flashlight, and see what was what.

User Info Menu

Interesting that the second set of knobs look period correct (assuming they're not reissues) and that the selector switch has no rubber grommet (also period correct)
    The second set of knobs aren't perfectly symmetrically installed, but that could just be Gibson sloppiness.
    Agree that a peek inside would reveal a lot.
    All that said, a friend who frequents estate sales tells me name brand guitars typically sell for near or even over retail as buyers tend to know just enough to be dangerous in their bidding.

User Info Menu

Someone intended to put two humbuckers in it, after they got started they realized the bracing was only compatible with P90s, so abandoned the project. Just a wild guess. I’d be tempted to install a matching P90.

I don’t think ES-125s ever had a switch in that location. Consider it a player’s guitar. Could be a fun one. Ask for the body thickess and width. There’s a thin model and two widths.

User Info Menu

The extra knobs and switch are not deal-breaking for me if the price is good. They don't alter the ES-125 fundamentally. I would just treat it as I would a standard ES-125 with extra trimmings. It is going to play like an ES-125. Whatever it is they are wired to, just disconnect the wiring if it really bothers you.

How much is the estate asking?

PS It could be the previous owner thought about installing a bridge pickup, drilled the top for the pots and the switch and then changed his mind about cutting a hole in the top. He left the pots and switch where they are today to baffle future owners. A man with a warped sense of humour; I bet he is having a good laugh in his grave. "Boy, I'll like to see them figure that one out. Hyuk. Hyuk."
    Just found out they are asking $950. Not bad. I doubt I will be able to see it in person.

User Info Menu

$950 is a good price for it despite the knobs and the switch. I was about to say I would offer $800 and hope to get it for $900.

The P90 looks original. I bet it sounds great. Just ignore the extra bits.

PS If you decide to pass on it would you mind letting me know where it is for sale? You could PM me, please.

User Info Menu

"I don’t think ES-125s ever had a switch in that location"

Good point

User Info Menu

I put a floating pickup in the bridge spot of mine years ago when I rebuilt it. Stack knob dual pots avoided drilling more holes, same with selector switch with a pickguard mount. Stereo wiring let the k&ks have their own channel.

User Info Menu

André Duchossoir has a picture of a 1959 ES-125T with one P-90 and "factory original with dual volume and tone controls and a 3 position switch. A very unusual item" [quote]. Maybe that will give a clue?

User Info Menu

Not that it is relevant to the question at hand, but this specimen looks
    like it might be an ES-125T from the way is rests so deep in the case.

User Info Menu

Second time and volume to work like a jazzmaster maybe? Interesting options for some one. For sure that floater or transducer would be easy to hook up.
    Last edited by Cavalier; 08-14-2019 at 09:50 AM.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=jpb;972196]André Duchossoir has a picture of a 1959 ES-125T with one P-90 and "factory original with dual volume and tone controls and a 3 position switch. A very unusual item"
    . Maybe that will give a clue?
    I have been trying to remember where I had seen a guitar like that before...thanks!

User Info Menu

Ref JPBs comment, I recall seeing this, I also once saw a Wes L5 to which someone had added a switch and additional set of knobs. Apparently it was to switch quickly and easily between two sets of tone and vol settings. A bit overkill IMO.