The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

I have an Eastman AR372CE being shipped to me at the moment. It's a used 2017 model with 12 gauge strings.
    I have ordered a set of La Bella Jazz Tapes 800M 14-67 guage as this guitar sounds like a good fit with the wide neck.
    I'm curious in other peoples' past experience - is this an easy thing to do, or should I take it to a local tech or luthier and have them do it?
    I am comfortable doing basic setups. Truss rod is an easy 2 minute job; - Intonation doesn't seem too difficult to dial in on a stratocaster, but this doesn't appear to have individual string adjustments. I'd assume it's easy enough to move a floating bridge where it needs to go, unless it's common to file the bridge contacts?
    I have *not* ever worked on guitar nut slots. Should I just get some fine sandpaper or a cheap set of files and get everything wide enough without adjusting the height? Or do these strings typically like a different height at the nut/bridge than steel?
    I also assume I won't really need to file anything at the bridge slots or the tail-piece holes (hopefully)...
    Just trying to get an idea what others have had to do, or if I should just take it somewhere, pay some money and wait a few days to get it back.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I once used them on a guitar I can't remember the make of. The 6th string wouldn't fit through the tuner dowel hole.

@Rob Mackillop - did you end up not using them on that guitar, or did you find a workaround? (bore out the hole or tie the string around the peg without using the hole?)

User Info Menu

Believe they are designed for longer scale length. As Rob mentioned there could be an issue going through the tuner and also nut slot width. They are also very light tension. I do like them, but have only experimented with them.

User Info Menu

I gave up using the sixth, replacing it with a flatwound instead. Pity.

User Info Menu

I had difficulty putting a fat string through an ebony tailpiece once. A wise luthier (Chuck Thornton) told me to use a drill bit manually like a file. He said even at low speeds on a drill it can fracture the ebony.

I wasn't doing anything ambitious. The low E string was .54 or so. I was easily able to remove the tiny amount of wood and string it up.

Installing La Bella Jazz Tapes on an Eastman AR372CE-thornton-jpg

The Schaller tailpiece Heritage used for their first 15 or 20 years required prying open the slots the wrapped portion of the string fitted into near the ball.

Installing La Bella Jazz Tapes on an Eastman AR372CE-schaller-stop-bar-tailpiece-gold-jpg

Thanks for all the replies.
    Based on the reply with the 371 model, for the Mediums I'll need to not only file the nut slots, but also file the openings in the tail piece and possibly the tuners. I think it will give me the sound I want, so I'll just take it to the shop and have it done.
    I was playing it with some round wound 12 guage and over-all it's a lot brighter than what I'm looking for so I think this is a move in the right direction. (I have a strat for the brighter stuff). I'll most likely want a P90 at some point but I'll see how this does first.

User Info Menu

I use La Bella Jazz Black Tape .14-67 for loooong time and very liked them. Use it over Ibanez AF105F and also had small issue with tuner hole (67 is quite big but finally it went through. No other problems than this.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by asedas
    I use La Bella Jazz Black Tape .14-67 for loooong time and very liked them. Use it over Ibanez AF105F and also had small issue with tuner hole (67 is quite big but finally it went through. No other problems than this.
    whats the story with these ?

do they have a lot of weight to the sound ?
    how come they're black anyway ?

im using fat flat TI's on an Ibanez box ATM but I'm interested
    in an even fatter sound .....
    should I try them out ?

User Info Menu

They're black because the nylon tape is black. If you don't like black, they also offer white. What they offer is a dull thud sound, sort of like an upright bass. The Pizzarellis use them, or at least did, and you can get the sound from many videos and CDs available.

User Info Menu

See this thread for audio clips.

Really, though, you're only going to find out how they sound when YOU play YOUR guitar through YOUR rig is by buying a set and giving them a try. Some people love 'em, others hate 'em.

Strings arrived (14-67 800M). They fit in the bridge fine, and easily go through the tuning pegs. The nut slots will need to be filed. I think even to try them without leaving the strings up high I'll need to file the nut to even install them....so hopefully I like them!
    The only potential issue I see is that even on my arch-top (with a tail-piece) there is a ton of excess. I will need to start winding the strings a couple inches before the silk ends start - starting the winding on the nylon rather than the silk ends. If I just leave the excess, I'm assuming this should be okay?

Nut slot needed filed, that was about it. Tuning pegs took the width and so did the tailpiece. I had to put the tape wound portion through the tuning pegs tho (the strings were too long). I did ask to not have the strings cut, but the tech cut the tape-wound portion. I'll just try not to de-tension as they seem to be working great so far.
    Should I put a line of super glue down each string (between the nut and tuning pegs?) I'm assuming I shouldn't bother.
    Loving the sound.
    Installing La Bella Jazz Tapes on an Eastman AR372CE-guitar-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    I once used them on a guitar I can't remember the make of. The 6th string wouldn't fit through the tuner dowel hole.

I had the same issue and I didn't like them enough to try to accommodate them. They are very flexible, like nylon strings, so I would need to go with a very heavy gauge or spend a fair amount of time getting acclimated. On the plus side, very fast and low string noise for comping.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    dull thud sound
    I wouldn't call it dull - it's more accoustic but due to nylon tape I think rather bright than dark.

User Info Menu

i think i tune them up, not use to them, almost an octive accidently did i ruin them? tune them back down and am getting fret buzz.Would be willing to try again.maybe truss rod adjustment?