The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Posts 176 to 200 of 268

User Info Menu

glad to know that you are enjoying it, I'm still undecided between the 371 versus the PM2 aa.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hagstrom
    glad to know that you are enjoying it, I'm still undecided between the 371 versus the PM2 aa.
    I've owned both. I STILL have the 371.

User Info Menu

I'm still digging my AR910CE, AR610CE and AR371CE. Each has a unique voice and wonderful feel. Other instruments have come and gone but these keep making me smile...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    I wouldn't say that at all. The two I have were priced Waaayyy below a comparable higher end make, and both are superb.
    Thanks for replying to NSJ's post - I'm still not sure what to say about it...

User Info Menu

I've been playing a non-cutaway 810 for a few years now and am really happy with it. I don't really play electric anymore but did for years. Had an Ibanez copy of an ES-175 back in the early 80's and later on had a GibsonEs-175. The Ibanez was a better guitar hands down. I know thqt's not what you asked about but just thought I'd mention to deter buying by brand alone. Good luck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mwcarr
    I've been playing a non-cutaway 810 for a few years now and am really happy with it. I don't really play electric anymore but did for years. Had an Ibanez copy of an ES-175 back in the early 80's and later on had a GibsonEs-175. The Ibanez was a better guitar hands down. I know thqt's not what you asked about but just thought I'd mention to deter buying by brand alone. Good luck
    Thank you (and everybody else of course) for your input!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hagstrom
    I have one of each, both nice guitars ,but since I can no longer play, they might make nice book ends!! Bob

User Info Menu

I wouldn't say that at all. The two I have were priced Waaayyy below a comparable higher end make, and both are superb.
    I agree. There are some fantastic Eastmans out there. I have played some duds too but I think that depends on how picky the dealer is whose selling them. Perhaps an argument could be made that the pickups used are “meh”, and I just mean that they are functional but nothing amazing, but the quality of the Eastmans I’ve played (my own, students’ and colleagues’ guitars and some in stores) has been great. They sound better and better over time too - I like my 805ce much more now than when I got it now that it’s 13 years old (although it was killer when I got it too). You have to know what you’re expecting though - they are not going to have a sound like an L5 because they are not constructed that way and you have to compare them to similarly built, thin top archtops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

I own an AR371 SB.

A wonderful guitar. Got 'better pedigreed' guitars for comparison, too.

If I wasn't upside-down with guitar debt I'd replace the pick-up just 'cause I could.

Mine is 5-1/2 pounds. This is a nice feature.

Good luck with your hunt.

User Info Menu

I replaced the pickup in my AR371 too. It sounds so much sweeter with a DiMarzio 36th Anniversary...

User Info Menu

The pickup on my T145 was meh, but a pickup change made a dramatic difference. With the Vintage Vibe HCC pickup it has exceptional sound. As mentioned above, it doesn't sound like an L5, but expecting that from a carved-top thinline, weighing less than 5 lb and with a single-coil pickup, is silly. A heavily-built Gibson is not the only acceptable sound, at least to me.

Eastman Jazz Guitar Recommendations-eastman-t145-jpg

User Info Menu

Update on my previous thoughts.

I had not owned an Eastman guitar, but today I received my first, a 2007 T165MX, which is a single cut with a Venetian cutaway. It's quite a looker.

The neck is very much like a 335's slim taper, the "root beer" colored bound body sides and back are carved mahogany, top is carved flame maple (bound "F" holes) and the bound neck/head is 3/5 piece mahogany with ebony FB like a Gibson 355, but with less conspicuous dot markers. Weight is 6lb 14 oz. about 1lb. 9 oz. lighter than most 335's I've weighed. Pups were replaced by the PO with Lindy Fralins. Funny, the body is totally hollow with a beautifully sculpted back portion that rises at the ~3"x4" maple block.

Fit is much like any custom shop I've handled, but the finish as has been reported here, has some issues. It seems to scratch and dent easily, no biggie it's not a $25k git.

It's setup with unknown flats, the action is fast and the Fralin's sound great. Acoustically it's as I'd expect louder than a 335 type git, and the warm acoustic influence on the electric sound is obvious. I never have considered Fralin pups before but I will in the future.

For a 10 year old guitar, it speaks well of Eastman. No warpage, neck FB or binding area shrinkage, no binding cracks or separation. Opinion... As a first Eastman I have to say, it will not be my last. This one definitely inspires more practice :-)

PS, I'm AMAZED that gits in this style (single cut semi's) are not more popular, and I'm totally mystified why Eastman Discontinued it.
    I totally am amazed that 2" thick and 2.25" thick Semis with the tiny block but stoptail are not extremely popular with Players ( they don't probably know yet what can be done ) and Manufacturers probably don't get it either or have no one to Copy .

OR maybe most Players don't care...I have a thread on what looks a lot like a 2.25" deep version of your Guitar built by Eastman for GuitarsnJazz 5 were made I think ] called Jazz Elite SH .
    Sounds very even all across to the high strings...long sustain but like a thin Archtop.- great sound IMO

I wonder why Manufacturers don't make the default thickness at rim 2" or 2.25" so we can actually hear the semi hollow effect . Parallel switch will make it tighter when needed....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rexi
    I have two eastmans. 805ce with a mounted humbucker and a T186mx. The 805 is made in 2004 and the T186 in 2015/16 both of them are excellent instruments. I had a gibson chet atkins tennesesann but sold it when i got the T186, the craftmanship on both of my Eastmans is better then on the Gibson i had.

I have heard that the early ones are supposed to have less consistent build but the 2004 i have is actually perfect, and the binding and details are better then on the new one. Both sound and play very very well.

BUT... the guitars DON´T sound like a Gibson so i would say that they will never replace such a guitar unless you prefer the sound of the Eastman.. which is what happened to me (with the chet vs t186). Well until now that i´m looking for a laminate archtop and might end up buying a Gibson es 175
    That says a lot for the T186 MX that it replaced the [ 25.5 " ? ]scale Chet Atkins .

I understand that you prefer the T186MX -you are not saying it is ' better'.
    Is it a bit warmer, beefier on the low notes or - generally - what quality does the 186 MX have that you like more than the Gibson and are you using 11s or 12s on it?
    Thanks.

User Info Menu

For those Eastman experts out there: if you were going to pick a full depth, single cutaway, single pickup instrument for pretty much chord melody (read 'dark and smokey') use only, what would you choose? Ruled out Peerless because of the scarf joint in the neck, Gibson because of price, and Ibanez because the only one I like is the GB-10 and I can't afford it, and Epiphone because all the necks I've tried have been baseball bats. Seems like Eastman might be the way to go but will have to buy online because there are none anywhere that I can try. I know I'm being picky but I know what I like and don't like. Budget would be in the $1500 range and used is fine but MUST have ebony fingerboard - no rosewood allowed. Other suggestions welcomed, of course

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis
    For those Eastman experts out there: if you were going to pick a full depth, single cutaway, single pickup instrument for pretty much chord melody (read 'dark and smokey') use only, what would you choose? Ruled out Peerless because of the scarf joint in the neck, Gibson because of price, and Ibanez because the only one I like is the GB-10 and I can't afford it, and Epiphone because all the necks I've tried have been baseball bats. Seems like Eastman might be the way to go but will have to buy online because there are none anywhere that I can try. I know I'm being picky but I know what I like and don't like. Budget would be in the $1500 range and used is fine but MUST have ebony fingerboard - no rosewood allowed. Other suggestions welcomed, of course
    The first Eastman guitars introduced to the USA were full size archtops with the pickup mounted off of the pickguard. AR605CE, AR610CE, AR805CE, AR810CE, AR905CE, AR910CE are the common ones. CE indicates cutaway with pickup, 05 is 16", 10 is 17". 6 = mahogany, 8 = maple, 9 = maple with upscale trim, binding. I would avoid the early years. You might want to verify fingerboard material on the 6 series. I can't recall myself. The 16" guitars are deeper than the 17". These are acoustic sounding guitars and all of the ones I have seen have had rather generous neck, nut dimensions. I would look for one later than 2005.

When it comes to value in the Eastman line, I think the AR503CE is difficult to beat. (Laminate back and sides with carved top) Although definitely loud enough for home practice, they are not acoustic cannons like the full depth archtops.

There's quite a few videos on You Tube. You might want to do some listening.

User Info Menu

I have an AR503CE winding its way to me as I write. Hopefully it will arrive soon. I had the 371, but feel I'd want the carved top this time round, and the inset humbucker as well. I'll do an NGD when it arrives. They've brought out a new version with a Seth Lover humbucker, but I got the older version with an Asian Kent Armsrtrong as they were selling it off cheaper, and I fancy upgrading to a Charlie Christian pickup at some point.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    I have an AR503CE winding its way to me as I write. Hopefully it will arrive soon. I had the 371, but feel I'd want the carved top this time round, and the inset humbucker as well. I'll do an NGD when it arrives. They've brought out a new version with a Seth Lover humbucker, but I got the older version with an Asian Kent Armsrtrong as they were selling it off cheaper, and I fancy upgrading to a Charlie Christian pickup at some point.
    This reminds me, in the USA you will find some AR580CE guitars. Similar to the AR503CE, with fancier trim, and a narrow 1 11/16" nut in lieu of 1 3/4". Of course with Eastman guitars I always suggest people verify any critical dimensions on the guitar they want to buy. I was at an Eastman road show once where they had (2) AR371CE guitars. The necks were substantially different.

User Info Menu

So I've owned the following Eastman Archtop guitars.
    810CE, 805CE, JP 880, 803CE with Humbucking built-in. EL REY 2

None have the Smokey Dark tone you describe looking for. Being carved quite a bit thinner than say Gibson, they tend to have a more modern brightness tonal wise. You might be happier with a thicker laminate like a used Gibson ES-175
    The Eastman 175 copy is bright as well.

The only Eastman that might do what you are looking for might be the larger El Rey 3 model. But I have no hands on experience with one. Maybe another member who has tried or owns one can chime in?

User Info Menu

Eastman guitars are built to the Benedetto specs. They read the book, and followed it as closely as they could. They sound far more like Benedettos than Gibsons. Dark and smoky does not describe either Benedetto or Eastman. They both sound very good, but are brighter than the typical Gibson. If you want the Gibson sound but cheaper, look at Epiphone. I would not describe Epi necks as baseball bats, not even close. But I haven't played every Epi in existence. The one I have has a very thin neck, thinner than I really like, but our tastes are probably different.

User Info Menu

Not a expert but I own 2 Eastmans one is a ar610, the other a low end dreadnought. Both are flawless. I haven't tried the 175 clone but would buy one if someone would buy my 1968 Gibson ES175D for what is claimed it is worth.

I did have the first AR605 but it was stolen, recovered and sitting in evidence for the last 3 years.

Eastman Jazz Guitar Recommendations-eastman-ar610-jpg

User Info Menu

I love my 2006 Eastman AR810CE for playing solo arrangements, mostly due to its acoustic voice and responsiveness and a neck/fretboard shape that feels like home. I like to play it at volumes where I hear about 1/2 acoustic and 1/2 amplified. I guess it can get “dark and smokey” by turning up the volume and rolling off the treble. But I only go for darker tones in band, and usually choose a smaller bodied laminated guitar and set-in pickup for those situations.

Edit: The AR805CE has a narrower waist and deeper body. It was also offered in a non-cut configuration. The 910 and 905 are basically the same guitars with more flame. I played a 905 non-cut a few years ago that had an especially sweet amplified tone, but the fancy wood pushed the retail price too high for me.
    Last edited by KirkP; 08-13-2019 at 08:35 PM.

User Info Menu

Agreed with above post, probably the 810CE was the best Eastman I owned out of the lot. But it was a small ensemble low volume purpose instrument.
    And again not Dark sounding acoustically. But a great guitar especially used.
    Try to buy one of the newer ones used 2010 and later. The earlier models had finish issues.

User Info Menu

As OP mentioned chord melody setting, and I have two Eastmans and also an Epi Joe Pass, so I took a big breath and created my very first YouTube demo. (do not expect too much, I am not a professional musician, just picking as hobby) Still, hopefully the sound of the instruments will came through.

The Epi has upgraded with a Benedetto PAF (just the neck) and tone control and switch completely wired out.

What I noticed after reviewing the video:

- There is a big "darkness" difference, it shocks in either way, so it worth to repeat the very same guitar to allow accommodating its sound, and found it lovable.

- IMHO both Eastmans have some mojo, but Epi lacks of it, despite the Benedetto upgrade.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleOM
    Your post made me wonder if you had compared the Peerless guitars referenced to the Eastman AR503CE. Although I have an AR805CE, AR371CE, Frank V guitar, and a Benedetto Bravo, here, I find the AR503CE is the one I play the most. To me it seems well balanced, with consistent attack, has enough volume for home unplugged practice, and still works for me at plugged in at a bar.
    No Danielle, I've not owned the AR503CE. I owned the 610, 810, 910, Pisano's, too many to mention, and a 371CE. My finest Eastman's, which I regret selling, were the now rare Eastman AJ817 and AJ617 Arched Back Jumbo models. But they were flattops, and obviously had entirely different voices than Eastman arch tops. I love the look of Eastman guitars.

edit - I've owned so many guitars many get lost in the memory mix. I've owned 2 Eastman Jazz Elites, previously posted here. Somewhat similar to a 503, and great guitars too. But most 16" arch tops are hard compare to a 17", nor would a 17" easily compare to an 18". Although I only own an ES175 and nylon guitars now, there was once a time big boxes were my preference.

But I'll add that when you've sampled/owned as many arch tops in a short time as I have one can develop sound preferences. The only Asian built guitars that I've previously owned, and I'm high on, compared to American built arch tops, are the former Japan built Vestax models, the 70's/80's built Aria PE180's, and the Peerless Cremona and Monarch models.

We each develop sound preferences. I don't wish to offend anyone who owns Eastman's for they're great guitars.

Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 08-15-2019 at 08:10 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    What I noticed after reviewing the video:

- There is a big "darkness" difference, it shocks in either way, so it worth to repeat the very same guitar to allow accommodating its sound, and found it lovable.

- IMHO both Eastmans have some mojo, but Epi lacks of it, despite the Benedetto upgrade.
    I was surprised how much darker the AR810CE turned out to be. That may be part of the reason I usually choose another guitar for louder gigs. It’s the only magnetic pickup guitar I have that sounds better with a tweeter. I’ve been considering a pickup swap, so this may help me decide.