The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 268

User Info Menu

My Jazz Elite 17 is the only Eastman I've played. It has (what I consider) a medium neck profile, 1.75" nut, and a 25" scale. I learned to adapt to the 1.75" nut, but my favorite nut width is 44mm (Ibanez AF200), a sweet spot between 1-11/16 & 1-3/4.
    The Eastman is very light, responsive, and gets nice tone. It has "bling" factor with it's classy wood binding. They're a
    great company IMHO.

Last edited by helios; 05-21-2016 at 07:21 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sorry, should have mentioned I've owned three Eastmans since the original post. 2 T386's and an AR371.
    All had issues. All purchased new.
    Maybe it's a "lefty thing"??

User Info Menu

What issues did you have with your guitars?

User Info Menu

I'm very happy with my AR380 too. It is pretty much perfect. So far so good!

The local dealer carries a number of Eastman flat tops and I must say that some of them are quite impressive -- others less so.

I've also seen a few Eastman's with QC and neck issues, but they were older models.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Klatu
    What issues did you have with your guitars?
    Klatu,
    The finish issue was common to all three. Very thin/soft nitro. Especially on the 386's. New mark on them, everyday.
    Both the 371 and the first 386 had the same issue with the neck. Had to use minimum 12's to keep the neck from back bowing. Truss rod was loosened all the way. I could've lived with that on the 371, but decided to get rid of it when the opportunity came up.

User Info Menu

What a shame. I'd be disappointed with the company as well if I were in your shoes; thankfully, I've been very fortunate with the Eastmans that I've acquired. Of the four I currently own, 2 have been PLEKED, and I can say that they are by far the easiest guitars to set up and play in my collection. As for the finish issues, I've read reports of people having the issues of which you speak, but I haven't experienced them myself.

Eastman guitars are the only affordable professional grade carved instruments that I'm aware of. Please let me know if there are any alternatives that I should be on the lookout for.

User Info Menu

I'm with Klatu word for word. I've owned an AR880, a T186mx, a T146, and own one of the first 5 Eastmans ever made and love them all. They're not Ibanez guitars that have been dipped in a heavy poly - the finishes are usually french polish with two thin coats of nitro that are then almost completely buffed out and that leaves a light and resonant guitar. They aren't beach guitars, you need to treat them with TLC, but I have NEVER had any issues with any of them. I kick myself I sold the 880 and the 146. A budding jazz artist I know now has the 186, an amazing player.

User Info Menu

Eastmans are hit and miss. Ive owned several and some were stellar guitars,others were dogs. If you get hold of a good one, theyre wonderful. Bob

User Info Menu

I'm considering an Eastman AR372CE . Always loved the ES 175 style of Gibson guitars but I'm not willing to pay four and a half grand on an original - too much money for a guitar of its type imo and my (jazz) playing wouldn't justify such a purchase.
    So this Eastman model seems to be a good affordable alternative - probably not in the exact same ballpark as a Gibson 175 but it seems to be a nice enough guitar.
    Looking for opinions/experiences with Eastman guitars in general and this specific model.

Thanks in advance.

Eastman Jazz Guitar Recommendations-ar-372-ce-bd-11245379-6-version-2-1-1200x1200-jpg

Here's proper demo that's wuite convincing:

User Info Menu

I had the one pickup version. Very good guitar. Not a 175, but its own thing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    I'm considering an Eastman AR 372 CE . Always loved the ES 175 style of Gibson guitars but I'm not willing to pay four and a half grand on an original - too much money for a guitar of its type imo and my (jazz) playing wouldn't justify such a purchase.
    So this Eastman model seems to be a good affordable alternative - probably not in the exact same ballpark as a Gibson 175 but it seems to be a nice enough guitar.
    Looking for opinions/experiences with Eastman guitars in general and this specific model.
    I have bought a 372 (actually labeled 371CE-2 back in 2013), and it is imo an excellent guitar, regardless of the price, and I am sincerely pleased with it.

Back when I was looking for a jazz box I tried many Ibanez, and the Eastman to my ears has a better acoustic sound and feels more 'alive'.
    Its neck is very confortable, I really like its playability and it played a major role in my purchase decision.

The finish is good but not flawless in mine, it may be better now. Nothing major, just a bit of unprecise paint job here and there etc. The PUs are good, I am however planning to change them, I don't feel that they do justice to the guitar. Anyway, she currently gets played everyday lately, I don't get tired of it three years and some months later.

You can't go wrong with this guitar, even tho you may want to try other models, plus it looks great in blonde! Mine's a tobacco sunburst model, here are some pics:

User Info Menu

Were you able to determine if it's essentially a 371CE with an extra pickup or do they do something different with the bracing and top. Wonder if it's a little less resonant than a 371CE.

User Info Menu

Thanks Rob - I know you know guitars. Great playing there, too!

Thanks Aant - appreciate your input. That's a beautiful sunburst.

What's the neck profile like, btw - more towards round or more flat?

User Info Menu

I follow Eastman threads like this and have yet to pull the trigger on one, I like them maybe it's because I don't WANT a 175 tone clone (new term?) and actually prefer something different to play.

I vacillate between Eastman models but like the fingerboard without markers and the bursts of the AR380, but on both the 380 and 372 the general neck description "The thin neck " or "Thinner than a 175" may not be my cup of tea. So, I guess I'll have to wait to try one in person before plunging in.

At any rate, do yourself a favor, google Eastman AR372 there's been a LOT of discussion on this board and others on the 372 vs. the 175.

Eastman Jazz Guitar Recommendations-eastman-ar372ce-jpg
    Last edited by GNAPPI; 02-22-2017 at 09:19 AM.

User Info Menu

The only think I don't like is the maple neck. For me this type of guitar should have a mahogany neck.
    Not that I would pass a blindfold test, it's just one of my neurosis;-)

(Or are they now also available with mahogany neck? This would trigger my other neurosis: GAS).

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I bought the AR372 back in Dec 2016. I really like this guitar. I haven't put it down hardly. I don't have anything to compare it to since this is my first Archtop. But great tone plugged and unplugged.

User Info Menu

Love my Eastman AR371!

Eastman Jazz Guitar Recommendations-eastman-ar371-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleOM
    Were you able to determine if it's essentially a 371CE with an extra pickup or do they do something different with the bracing and top. Wonder if it's a little less resonant than a 371CE.
    The AR372CE and AR371CE-2 are the same guitar.
    The bracing of the 371 and 372 are identical - parallel. As far as I know the 372 is a 371 with an extra PU.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Thanks Rob - I know you know guitars. Great playing there, too!

Thanks Aant - appreciate your input. That's a beautiful sunburst.

What's the neck profile like, btw - more towards round or more flat?
    More towards round, like C shape if I'm not mistaken.

I'll soon hunt for new PUs, then it'll be really a great instrument.

User Info Menu

I love my AR680CE Pisano...impeccable build...superb in every way.

Eastman Jazz Guitar Recommendations-eastman-ar680ce-jpg

User Info Menu

I played a 371 at GnJ. I also played a Peerless Gigmaster Jazz. Although I bought a Peerless Monarch 16, I thought that both the 371 and Gigmaster were great guitars at the $1000 price point.

I should mention that neither guitar sounded like the other, and neither sounded like an ES175.7
    Last edited by jazz.fred; 02-22-2017 at 10:57 AM.

User Info Menu

I have a 371. It's great for the money, its light, I don't fear having the kids around when playing on the sofa.

User Info Menu

I like my AR371 quite a bit. With a BG Pure90 humbucker-sized P90 it gets a great old-school vibe. There's a bit of thunk with certain string and pick combinations, but it doesn't sound much like an ES-175. If I had to gripe it would be that the hardware is a bit cheap. I have to tighten things up once in a while to try and eliminate rattling, but I suppose this might be an archtop problem, not so much an Eastman problem. I've bought two of these used for $500 over the years. Great deals IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Well I am a fan of Eastmans but they are definitely hit-or-miss. Don't buy one without trying it first, playing it all the way up and down the fingerboard. Or at least get a generous return policy.

User Info Menu

The Epiphone Premium 175 gets a lot closer to nailing the 175 vibe, if that's what you're after.

I generally like Eastmans, but the 371 I played was a dud. But I think that guitar was an anomaly, people really seem to like theirs.