The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 32 of 32

User Info Menu

The 12-hole bridge design is being adopted by more and more luthiers throughout the world (just like the addition of a sound-port in the rim). The idea behind it is this : by threading the string through the hole closest (behind the bridge-insert) to the top it breaks over the insert at a steeper angle, therefor exerting a little more pressure on the top, transporting a little more energy. It's a small thing but to many it seems to work fine. As a side effect it makes fastening the wound strings much easier, no need for tying a knot !

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Congrats 2B!

Buying from an up and coming luthier can be wise. In 1986 I bought a Michael Thames Classical (that I just had re-French polished by master luthier Eric Reid). for $600 used (the original owner had paid $800 in 1982). Today a guitar like mine made by Michael would set you back $7000 plus as Michael is now a world famous luthier (and he has become a good friend of mine as well.)

Playing jazz on a classical is a different thing than doing so on an archtop or solid body, but it has a vibe that is well worth exploring. Good luck with your nylon string journey!
    Thank you SS! And if only I had the vision to buy L5's and Super 400's during the 70's! I envy your guitar ownership history.

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Congrats 2b,
    A beautiful instrument with an interesting choice of woods. The fit and finish appear excellent. I particularly like the arm rest - it’s incorporation is well executed. The bridge is also kind of interesting. I don’t think you took much of a chance here - it looks like a fine instrument.
    As for the side port, I agree with you - it’s fantastic and I would not order a new build without one. After playing so many guitars at John Monteleone ‘s with the port- I find it makes a profound difference in the player experience - without sacrificing any projection.
    As Stringswinger noted about Michael Thames - it may turn out to be a wise purchase .

Wishing you many hours of enjoyment !
    Thank you QA! The builders wood choice did impact my purchase decision. But judging by his inventory he's utilized unique types of wood in most of his builds.

Quote Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7
    Thanks, 2B...The horizon is about a year. I do have a custom archtop commission in the queue for delivery next summer (2020). Speaking of wood...

That's some gorgeous wood their Bob! I can't wait to see that guitar completed! Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    The 12-hole bridge design is being adopted by more and more luthiers throughout the world (just like the addition of a sound-port in the rim). The idea behind it is this : by threading the string through the hole closest (behind the bridge-insert) to the top it breaks over the insert at a steeper angle, therefor exerting a little more pressure on the top, transporting a little more energy. It's a small thing but to many it seems to work fine. As a side effect it makes fastening the wound strings much easier, no need for tying a knot !
    Thanks for the information gitman! I agree, and I've seen this bridge on several recent new builds and wondered what the heck it was.

User Info Menu

Nice Bop. I really like the modern features.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    Nice Bop. I really like the modern features.
    Thank you Jim!

User Info Menu

I know this is an old thread - and I'm a brand new member. If the original poster sees this, could you please send me the contact info for the builder (assuming you can do this through the site). I did a deep search and this is literally the only thing on the internet except for one other for sale listing. Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by fitness1
    I know this is an old thread - and I'm a brand new member. If the original poster sees this, could you please send me the contact info for the builder (assuming you can do this through the site). I did a deep search and this is literally the only thing on the internet except for one other for sale listing. Thanks in advance!
    Sorry, I don’t get here much anymore. I’ll check my gmail for the builders address and forward it to you. Funny, I advertised 5 of his guitars here for 2 months without a single nibble.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info - he may want to consider listing on the Delcamp.