Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Another entry into the "Little 250" line. I wonder if it really differs that much from the "Greg Howe" and the "M."

    DV MARK | Products | FG LITTLE 250 AMPLITUDE Frank Gambale signature
    -- Isn't it crazy that "archtop" and "luthier" are spelling errors on this forum?

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2
    i ended up returning mine. I am currently using the Raezer's Edge Luna amp. It's about the same size and 200w and the tone controls are great. Perfect for guitar. The tone controls on the greg howe amp weren't ideal for me. I had to keep the bass all the way off and the treble barely on. The luna's tone controls are more like what I would use on a fender style amp so more familiar to me and with adjustment in both directions.

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    Marketing gimmickry? The factory has confirmed that all Micro 50 variants share the same clean channel. I assume this holds for the 250s. The differences loom in the dirty channel, with the black "M" models featuring a coarser-grain overdrive against their blue or signature siblings. How much does this matter in a world where a floor full of FX pedals is a must? The on-board overdrive is like a hotel dining room: no matter how good food it offers, people prefer walking into the night and hunting for that cozy little restaurant which is probably none better. And they do it over and over.

  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug View Post
    Marketing gimmickry? The factory has confirmed that all Micro 50 variants share the same clean channel. I assume this holds for the 250s. The differences loom in the dirty channel, with the black "M" models featuring a coarser-grain overdrive against their blue or signature siblings. How much does this matter in a world where a floor full of FX pedals is a must? The on-board overdrive is like a hotel dining room: no matter how good food it offers, people prefer walking into the night and hunting for that cozy little restaurant which is probably none better. And they do it over and over.
    I rarely use a "gain" channel. I prefer a dumble clone zendrive or something like the j rockett blue-note. Rarely does a SS gain channel sound good to me. None of the markbass gain channels sound natural to me.

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    Good posts fellas ! I was wondering about the various DV Mark amps. The demos aren't that great to begin with. I was just wondering about the Clean tone with the extra preamp tube in a couple of these different small heads.

    I still haven't found anything better than my Quilter Aviator amps .And while this is just my opinion, I'm pretty picky(No Pun intended !)

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    I think it's mostly a matter of personal preference. If you like Quilter, I doubt you'd like DV more. Quilter tries to get a Fender tone, DV seems to go for more of a Polytone sound. I don't like Quilter at all, but I do like DV Mark amps a lot. If you like what you have, I wouldn't recommend throwing money at something different.

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    I think it's mostly a matter of personal preference. If you like Quilter, I doubt you'd like DV more. Quilter tries to get a Fender tone, DV seems to go for more of a Polytone sound. I don't like Quilter at all, but I do like DV Mark amps a lot. If you like what you have, I wouldn't recommend throwing money at something different.
    I don't really think the quilter sounds like a fender. Nor do the tone controls work like a fender. I also don't think the DV sounds anything like a polytone. YMMV.

    Regarding the dv mark EG 250 RawDawg with tube preamp and poweramp it's got a design defect. There's no gain control , only a master and the internal gain setting is too high so it distorts even at low volumes. It works for Erc Gales because he plays semi distorted all the time but it didn't work for me. You can hear some fender preamp vibe in there because of the tube (which is cool). If you do a search, you will see that many of them have been returned due to this issue.

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug View Post
    Marketing gimmickry? The factory has confirmed that all Micro 50 variants share the same clean channel. I assume this holds for the 250s. The differences loom in the dirty channel, with the black "M" models featuring a coarser-grain overdrive against their blue or signature siblings.
    I must say, the clean channel on the 250M I tried gets SICK loud and stays crystal clean.
    -- Isn't it crazy that "archtop" and "luthier" are spelling errors on this forum?

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    I guess I would say Crystal Clean isn't necessarily a guitar tone that appeals to me very often. I think of that is say EMG pickups (low impedance ) straight into a mixing board type of tone.
    Sounds great for James Brown Funk,but not a very Warm tone at all.

    Fender Clean has a bit of roundness to the notes, and not as flat sounding to my ears. I use to own a couple of Polytones back in the 1980's.
    They had a somewhat Darker tone but definitely not Flat sounding.

    Quilter Aviators are definitely in the Fender side of Clean tones no matter what Jack Z. Says LOL!

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    In my small world there's clearly a DV Mark camp and a Quilter camp. I belong to the former, with the exception of the Interblock 45, which offers more bass end than the 101R. I bought three 101Rs from Quilter's previous German importer, who had to throw in the towel when Thomann started carrying the brand. All three were ripped from my hands, by pro guitarists. In a previous post, I showed the 101R and Micro 50 settings for a more or less equal voicing. The Quilter's bass was screwed all the way up and treble quite a bit down, while the DV Mark's respective knobs pointed in the opposite direction. Instead of a fourth 101R I got a ProBlock 200 and still don't know what to do with it. I liked the DV Mark 250M a lot more but ended up selling it to a young shredder who punishes his two TOOB 12R cabs with it. If only DV Mark had Quilter's reverb...

  12. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by jads57 View Post
    I guess I would say Crystal Clean isn't necessarily a guitar tone that appeals to me very often. I think of that is say EMG pickups (low impedance ) straight into a mixing board type of tone.
    Sounds great for James Brown Funk,but not a very Warm tone at all.

    Fender Clean has a bit of roundness to the notes, and not as flat sounding to my ears. I use to own a couple of Polytones back in the 1980's.
    They had a somewhat Darker tone but definitely not Flat sounding.

    Quilter Aviators are definitely in the Fender side of Clean tones no matter what Jack Z. Says LOL!
    I didn't say they weren't on the fender side of clean, just that they don't sound like a fender to me though they have some fenderesque characteristics to the tone. and also the tone controls work nothing like a fender. On the ones I've owned. Haven't tried the 202 yet. Supposedly it's got a different tone stack. Looking forward to trying one.

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by jzucker View Post
    I don't really think the quilter sounds like a fender. Nor do the tone controls work like a fender. I also don't think the DV sounds anything like a polytone. YMMV.

    Regarding the dv mark EG 250 RawDawg with tube preamp and poweramp it's got a design defect. There's no gain control , only a master and the internal gain setting is too high so it distorts even at low volumes. It works for Erc Gales because he plays semi distorted all the time but it didn't work for me. You can hear some fender preamp vibe in there because of the tube (which is cool). If you do a search, you will see that many of them have been returned due to this issue.
    The EG demo sound fab , but
    yes I agree , they should've put a pre-amp gain on there ...
    to appeal to more players

  14. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by pingu View Post
    The EG demo sound fab , but
    yes I agree , they should've put a pre-amp gain on there ...
    to appeal to more players
    when i contacted their support, i was disappointed that it took about 7-10 days for them to get back to me. When they did, they told me that my pickups were too hot and advised me to replace with lower output pickups and lower the pickups. I explained back to them that I was using PAF style humbuckers adjusted very far from the strings. 3-4 days later, they responded and offered to have me send it in and that they would adjust the gain to be lower but without a gain control, it wasn't a good solution so I returned it.

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    Good call I think Jack
    a preset lower gain would be a bit hit and miss ....
    even with a clean pre amp pedal in front of it to adjust the gain

    I still think they need a pre-amp gain on it
    then it would be great

  16. #15

    User Info Menu

    BTW
    Have you run into the Barefaced cabs ?

    they look very interesting technology and are light

    i just written to them to see if they've
    ever tried out one of their upsetter 10" cabs with
    a high power speaker like an eminance beta10 for
    clean jazz purposes ....

  17. #16

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by pingu View Post
    BTW
    Have you run into the Barefaced cabs ?

    they look very interesting technology and are light

    i just written to them to see if they've
    ever tried out one of their upsetter 10" cabs with
    a high power speaker like an eminance beta10 for
    clean jazz purposes ....
    Great question! Start a new post on this!!

  18. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by pingu View Post
    Good call I think Jack
    a preset lower gain would be a bit hit and miss ....
    even with a clean pre amp pedal in front of it to adjust the gain

    I still think they need a pre-amp gain on it
    then it would be great
    Seems odd they'd leave it out. The fender vibe in this version of the amp is a noticeable improvement IMO. While the quilter does have some fender timbre in it, the LM raw dawg actually sounds like a tube amp because it is. However, the overdrive at low volumes is a deal breaker.

  19. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by pingu View Post
    BTW
    Have you run into the Barefaced cabs ?

    they look very interesting technology and are light

    i just written to them to see if they've
    ever tried out one of their upsetter 10" cabs with
    a high power speaker like an eminance beta10 for
    clean jazz purposes ....
    I have not tried them but both quilter and mojo make a 12" cab that is around 22lbs with NEO speaker in it. I'm using quilter with a jensen jet tornado 100 and it sounds great.

    I think the jensen jet tornado is the absolute best neo speaker I've heard for guitar. It's the only one I've ever tried that I could live with because it does not have a nasally , sterile feel to it.

    By the way, the beta 10a that I tried is super dark sounding for my tastes...And relatively heavy.

  20. #19

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy View Post
    Great question! Start a new post on this!!
    done

  21. #20

    User Info Menu

    I really like the Celestion Neo 12"300 I bought from you Jack Z. Wished I had boughtvvthe other one you were selling as well!

  22. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by jads57 View Post
    I really like the Celestion Neo 12"300 I bought from you Jack Z. Wished I had boughtvvthe other one you were selling as well!
    honestly, i think the jensen sounds much better but you mentioned another time you like the EV12L and the BN300 sounds more like an EV but some middy-ness due to the neo magnet and such...

  23. #22

    User Info Menu

    Well, well... Having tried quite a few 12" Neo speakers I ended up with the Tornado for TOOB's guitar versions and the Celestion BN12-300S for the bass version. The latter (in a slightly deeper, felt lined and half-open cabinet) works extremely well for jazz guitar, too, if you're after the classic, smoky tone. The lining reduces the midrange honk which is annoying in some bass speakers on guitar frequencies.