The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 28

User Info Menu

I am wanting to change out my Duncan designed alnico 5 pickups, what I want is a clean low output humbucker type, The Duncan designed are way to hot and distort way to much, so much that I cant run a OD, Gain or fuzz pedal with out it distorting bad. So I think a low output pickup would do what I want. Any one have a suggestion on a low output pickup. for neck and bridge that don't coast a lot, priced around 100$ each.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

My favorite of the major brand stuff is Seth Lovers. You didn't say what type of guitar you have. If archtop, just got an Ibanez with the Seths installed. They sure do sound fine to me. For reference, I never care for overly hot HBs. Even many alleged PAF types are just a bit too hot. The Seths are perfect. You can sometimes find sets new on reverb for under 200. There's one there now at 175 for the pair.

User Info Menu

Another vote for Seth Lovers. I have them in a Heritage H-535 and PRS Mira semi-hollow if you want to come out to Morro Bay and try them out and see if they're what you're looking for.

User Info Menu

Seth Lovers are nice as well as Manluis Landmark PAF's

User Info Menu

GFS has alnico II or V pup set - N/7.6K - B/8.6K for $38 a piece.

GFS professional Series Alnico II Humbucker Nickel Case Neck Pickup

User Info Menu

I am very happy with Lollar Low Wind Imperials...

User Info Menu

TV Jones, the best!

User Info Menu

Seths or 59s depending on what you’re after.

I assume you tried to lower them?

User Info Menu

If the problem is too high a signal overloading the preamp, seem like a simple solution would be to turn down the volume pot on the guitar. Of course, high output is generally a result of a greater number of windings (and perhaps stronger magnets), which can affect the tone. Is the tone a problem too, or only the high output?

User Info Menu

I've had great products and service from Amalfitano and Porter recently!

User Info Menu

Well they are going into a Jazz Box 17" lower bout single cutaway. the problem is how hot they are not thier tone.I have them set abou as low as you can get them. they will clean up some if I set the volume pot to around 4 but if I turn the amp up higher the distortion starts comeing thru again and thats in any of my amps it happens more so in the neck pickup but is also present in the bridge. I have heard the seth lovers are some what microphonoc and dont want unwanted sound to come thru because of it being an hollow body arch top. I guess I could wax them but that would change thier sound some. I have had one person suggest that I could run some resistors in the line to reduce the out put. But I would think that it would cut alot of trebbel out by doing that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JaxJaxon
    The Duncan designed are way to hot and distort way to much, so much that I cant run a OD, Gain or fuzz pedal with out it distorting bad.
    Another suggestion would be to not use distortion pedals. Need options for humbucker low output pickups

User Info Menu

I have them set abou as low as you can get them. they will clean up some if I set the volume pot to around 4 but if I turn the amp up higher the distortion starts comeing thru again.
    So why not leave the volume pot set to 4?

I have had one person suggest that I could run some resistors in the line to reduce the out put. But I would think that it would cut alot of trebbel out by doing that.
    Thats what a volume pot is—two resisters in series, forming a voltage divider. It just happens to be adjustable.

It’s true that a voltage divider will interact with the impedance of a magnetic pickup, tending to rolling off highs. This can be mitigated by connecting a treble bleed capacitor to the volume control. You might need to try different capacitor values to suite your ear.

The treble rolloff can be completely eliminated by putting a buffer or preamp between the pickup and tone/volume circuits. That’s known as an “active pickup” and is often found in bass guitars and acoustic guitar pickups. It’s not so common in electric guitars. (I don’t recommend doing that—just thought I’d mention it.)

But I like the treble rolloff I get from rolling back the volume. I set the amp’s EQ for a low setting on the guitar’s volume pot. Then when I need to boost the volume for a louder passage I also get a bit of treble boost.
    Last edited by KirkP; 08-03-2019 at 11:42 AM.

User Info Menu

Someone else already suggested the Lollar low wound pickups. They're kind of spendy but are an excellent piece of gear. I would also suggest contacting Pete Biltoft at the vintage vibe guitars; he will wind to your specifications, has quick turnaround and excellent prices. I've been very happy with the two pick ups I got from him. I would also recommend Kent Armstrong who will also wine to your specifications, has fast turnaround and surprisingly good prices given his seniority in the boutique pickup world.

User Info Menu

So that's the thing at what point is it better worth it. Vintage Vibe Pickups are excellent and you can swap magnets easily.Jason Lollar andThrobak are Great pickups, but over priced when compared to Manluis or Sheptone. Which produce equally great pickups.

Look for used first,especially here,TGP Forums,EBay, Reverb, etc.

User Info Menu

I am wanting to change out my Duncan designed alnico 5 pickups.
    I know pretty well Duncan Designed p'ups. I've been installing, repairing and modding'em for over fifteen years.
    You can find more info here:Duncan Designed Pickups | Seymour Duncan

Which one is yours? Also what amp/s in the guitar going in?

I can't imagine what 17" archtop would come with factory-installed DD p'ups, unless it's some asian copy of a Gibson archtop.

If you can get a bit more specific, I might be able to help you, although by the description alone looks like user error to me. And pictures really are worth a thousand words!

Well?
    Last edited by LtKojak; 08-03-2019 at 08:13 AM.

User Info Menu

I do enjoy the Schaller Golden 50s. I Googled them and found the entire spectrum of opinions, mostly favorable though.

I find that guitarists sometimes get passionate about which pickups they use. I recently thought about the ones I've currently have. All of them are serviceable. These include in the humbucking category:

Gibson BJB, MHS, 57 Classics
    Schaller Golden 50s
    Heritage HRWs
    Lollar Low Winds and Imperials
    Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers and 59s
    Guild HB-1s
    Throbak SLE-101 PAFs
    Bare Knuckle Mules

I would not go through the trouble of changing any of them out. I may be in the minority about being less finicky about pickups. I know of people swapping out magnet frequently, being on the hunt for a certain tone. More power to them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    I do enjoy the Schaller Golden 50s. I Googled them and found the entire spectrum of opinions, mostly favorable though.

I find that guitarists sometimes get passionate about which pickups they use. I recently thought about the ones I've currently have. All of them are serviceable. These include in the humbucking category:

Gibson BJB, MHS, 57 Classics
    Schaller Golden 50s
    Heritage HRWs
    Lollar Low Winds and Imperials
    Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers and 59s
    Guild HB-1s
    Throbak SLE-101 PAFs
    Bare Knuckle Mules

I would not go through the trouble of changing any of them out. I may be in the minority about being less finicky about pickups. I know of people swapping out magnet frequently, being on the hunt for a certain tone. More power to them.
    That’s a pretty solid list you have.

I’m personally a big fan of Seymour Duncan because I’ve had a great experience with them and feel like they are great value. I’ve tried cheaper and more expensive and a variety of brands and ended up with them. At this stage (30 years later) I’m very familiar with their catalog and know how to get the tone that I’m after with one of their pickups. And I think that’s the key with pickups: translating what you have in your head into specific requirements. From there I’m sure there are several brands that would do a great job.

User Info Menu

Duncan Design = Asian? Enough said.
    Another vote for Seth Lover or Pete Biltoft (I have both in guitars). Nice thing with Biltoft is he will ship different magnets so you can swap them out.

User Info Menu

So I went and got a set of Guitar madness 57 special alnicoII 4 wire set. And I was looking on the net on ways to wire up a 4 wire Humbucker and what I found out and should have relised is that the standard for them is wired in Series which makes them hoter by 20% with less trebel, but if you wire it Parallel you get less out put by 20% and more brighter trebels. I could say why isnt this a suggestion when I was looking on a bunch of sites for reduceing how hot my pickups where and how they distort so much. So when I take the DD pickups out of my Fender Squire X-155 single cutaway jazz box ( De Armond ) I will see if they are 4 wire and change them to Parallel. I guess I didn't think of it because when I was using Humbuckers in the far past they where all 2 wire. And that's my story and I'm sticken to it. Thanks to all who took the time to try and help me out.

User Info Menu

I don’t think you said you were looking for more treble. Parallel wiring will probably help.

User Info Menu

The important is that you’re happy

User Info Menu

Tim Lerch has stated on a YouTube that he also has employed Loller for lower output options.

User Info Menu

Not to belittle or cast a negative comment on Tim Lerch.Seems like a really nice fellow. But is he a Lollar endorser?
    Lollars are nice but they carry a premium price tag as opposed to Vintage Vibe or some other equally talented pickup winders. Such as Manluis,Sheptone,etc.

Again look for a used pickup first.

User Info Menu

pete bitloft-vintage vibe- learned pickup making from reading jason lollars book!!..who's the master?

cheers