The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi,
    This is my understanding of Hendrix' pedal board:
    Wah--Octavia-Fuzz-Univibe.

I got the Wah. Looking to pick up the best modern versions of the rest.

A friend recommended the Fulltone Univibe and the Roger Mayer Octavia Looks like there is something called a Voodoovibe+ which has even more bells and whistles and costs even more. . What fuzz pedal would go with that? Someone recommended the Roger mayer Visage fuzz. Any other recommendations? Thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Thanks for the article
    Being an all time Hendrix fan this one was very interesting and seems, for once, very accurate.
    What we find, as always, that his sound, while revolutionary at the time, was very much in his mind (and what a mind..), and fingers
    I've always loved Jimi,'s incursions in jazzy moods, he was a big fan of Wes Montgomery (when I learned this I immediately started to go that way... thanks Jimi!)
    One of music's saddest loss. Evertime I think of it I feel so deeply sad..
    Very glad to see a Hendrix thread on this forum

User Info Menu

@jsj - you have to have the univibe before the overdrive/fuzz

User Info Menu

fuzzzz...jimi used a fuzzface...dunlop makes an actual jimi fuzzface repro...its a round pedal...otherwise a fulltone '70

cheers

User Info Menu

Maybe this can help.

Jimi Hendrix Pedal Chain Re-creation-screenshot_20190731_024022-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Clare
    Thanks for posting this very informative article. That live version of "Foxey Lady"...WHEW!!!

User Info Menu

As far as I know, the Fulltone DejaVibe is the only exact recreation of the Univibe Jimi used. It is heavenly. Robin Trower has used a DevaVibe for years. Mine is the MDV-3 model.

Roli

User Info Menu

One thing that surprises me is the string gauge he used, 10-38, and half step lower tuning.. That must be very slinky. No wonder he made those outer space bends
    I have always struggled a bit on stratocasters with 10-46, don't know why really.. I can play 12-50 on my 24. 75 scale without problem.
    Stratocasters always seem stiff to me in a way, I need a few minutes each time to get accustomed to the tension
    Maybe I should try his set up one day.. Always telling myself "low gauge = no, you're not a beginner"
    A bit unexplainable in a way