The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 32 of 32

User Info Menu

It sounds great in the above video! I'm not sure what more you could ask for,especially at that price?
    Sure if you are comparing it directly to a Bespoke high end luthier it won't be quite as good. But Eastman is doing great work at affordable prices a gigging player can afford.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Was just curious if anyone has seen/played one of these yet? After the attention generated by the NAMM announcement last summer, it seems to have gone quiet. I haven't been able to locate any for sale/trial in the US as of yet. The guitars'njazz website says they were coming in October 2019, but I've seen nothing since then.

Just wondering ..... thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    As a classical-guitar player, I have to say I haven't heard a crossover that satisfies in any degree, but I'm a purist in these things, I admit.

As for double top guitars with nomex, I have quite a bit of experience with them, again on classical guitars, and really do NOT like them at all. This guy claims they make you 30% louder, what he doesn't mention is that they change your tone. If you care much about moulding your sound through touch, then you might be dissapointed, as the sound leaps out really fast without you having much control at all. No matter how I tried to change the sound, it always sounded the same. The pursuit of volume over tone is folly, I think, but my comments are from the standpoint as a classical player. When I put my jazz or steel-string acoustic head on, I might think otherwise.
    I don't know what you're talking about here. The Cabaret is not a double-top and no nomex is mentioned in the specs. It's a nylon string guitar with solid woods voiced for amplification with a slightly narrower than traditional nut to feel more like an electric. I don't know exactly what you're referring to here.

User Info Menu

The thread has sufficiently derailed that I think I can legitimately post this...

...I've dabbled with the idea of a nylon string, although I am a steel string player and have never put serious time into nylon. The idea of a crossover is super-tempting and I've been very tempted (most recently by a Borys), but there some steel string guitars that can also fit this void. The more I play my Trenier Motif, the less I feel like I need a nylon string...plus the Trenier sounds great with a pick, not just fingers. I also note that Daniel Slaman has taken a different direction, building nylon string archtops. I guess I'm saying that the "crossover" concept is not just limited to smallish flat-top guitars with nylon strings...there are other ways to scratch the itch.

Still, this Eastman looks interesting! Good for John B., who's a very nice guy and builds some of the best guitars out there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny
    The thread has sufficiently derailed that I think I can legitimately post this...

...I've dabbled with the idea of a nylon string, although I am a steel string player and have never put serious time into nylon. The idea of a crossover is super-tempting and I've been very tempted (most recently by a Borys), but there some steel string guitars that can also fit this void. The more I play my Trenier Motif, the less I feel like I need a nylon string...plus the Trenier sounds great with a pick, not just fingers. I also note that Daniel Slaman has taken a different direction, building nylon string archtops. I guess I'm saying that the "crossover" concept is not just limited to smallish flat-top guitars with nylon strings...there are other ways to scratch the itch.

Still, this Eastman looks interesting! Good for John B., who's a very nice guy and builds some of the best guitars out there.
    BTW, John is a dealer for these for Eastman and is expecting a few soon.

User Info Menu

So for the people who are purists and have higher standards. Where do you gig and or what studio recording paid sessions are you doing currently?

Imnnnot trying to be Snarkey, but remember Tommy Tedesco used a $99 Yamaha Classical used guitar on many recordings we all grew up with.
    T.V. Show "Mash" comes to mind,lol!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    So for the people who are purists and have higher standards. Where do you gig and or what studio recording paid sessions are you doing currently?

Imnnnot trying to be Snarkey, but remember Tommy Tedesco used a $99 Yamaha Classical used guitar on many recordings we all grew up with.
    T.V. Show "Mash" comes to mind,lol!
    We are all "purists" when it comes to our personal preferences re tone, response etc. in the guitars we play, right ?
    Mr. Tedesco used not only a cheap nylonstring, he also had a RAMIREZ model in his arsenal as well and hey, it's the producer of the session who decides whether the sound is ok or not ...
    What strikes me as remarkable in this conversation is the wide-spread notion that only a pickup will make the guitar stage-worthy ... I've been following Ralph Towner for almost 45 years now and saw him in concert many times - up until maybe 15 years ago he relied only on his trusty Beyerdynamic M160 Ribbon mic, going into a
    small outboard reverb unit, maybe some extra eq module and then straight into the house system. THEN he added a piezo transducer into the mix but only for the lower frequencies, to have more control over the feedback threshold and because the pickup gives you a sharper attack in the bass also. The mic is still there...
    Using a mic is also my much preferred method for amplifying my nylonstring on stage, especially in a more chamber-music like setting. THEN the sound quality of my "good" classical comes through and I can take full advantage of it's dynamic range and the varying tonal colors it has on tap. In a larger/louder ensemble my "cheap" Cordoba model with the Fishman PREFIX pickup/mic system works flawlessly and is so easy to manage.

I find the natural acoustic tone of a fine classical guitar played by a fine musician still the most beautiful tone of all types of guitars, it can move me like no other.
    YMMV