The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

I know there was a thread started last week about some of the Gibson Archtop prototypes at "Dave's Guitars", but this isn't about that.

I'm in NJ and through my searches of estate sales looking for bottles of vintage spirits, I came across a sale that had a Gibson amp and Gibson lap steel. The only problem is they were located in Wisconsin. Long story short, I closed the deal on them and needed to have them shipped which led me to "Dave's". I called them on the off chance that they could ship them for me and I would of course pay for shipping, materials, labor, etc. They said "sure"! I was shocked and frankly bowled over by how accommodating they were for such a request. I called them earlier today to follow up figuring this was last on their priority list and to my surprise Peter said "oh, they shipped yesterday". Amazing! I insisted i pay for labor, materials, etc. and he said "no worries, just take care of postage".

They were so genuinely nice in a matter fact sort of way, it really lifted my spirits.

Just thought I'd share.....

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

They truly are an excellent guitar store along with Lavonne Music ,Savage Mn.
    You won't find more honest and knowledgeable people than both Dave Rogers and Peter Wagner

User Info Menu

I bought my Collings Eastside Jazz from Dave's and I agree that their service was top notch. Just a great experience all around.

User Info Menu

Going out of one’s way to work with Dave’s can sound silly, except that it is not.

Top shelf in every aspect of the business.

User Info Menu

We need to keep folks like Dave's in business.

User Info Menu

It is so refreshing to see a dealer get rave reviews like this.
    id be a customer in a heartbeat after reading this thread.
    JD

User Info Menu

I agree with all the comments above. I have visited Dave a number of times, and he is always warm and passionate about guitars. He and his people understand great customer service, and that has become a rarity. I have bought a few guitars from Dave, including my current ES175. Get to his LaCrosse store if you can and check out Dave’s personal collection. It’s worth the trip!

User Info Menu

Over the years I've bought, sold and traded many times with Dave Rogers. Each transaction has been stellar!!

It's great to hear he stills takes care of customers in his special way.

User Info Menu

Absolutely make the trip to Dave's Guitars if at all possible.As a kid I used to go to N.Y.City and the famed 48th Street Music stores as well later going to Gruhn Guitars in the 1970's.
    Dave's Guitar is even better in my opinion.One place with both a museum of Vintage Guitars upstairs, and downstairs a huge inventory of Custom Shop instrument choices.

User Info Menu

Many years ago I needed original vol and tone knobs for my ES-150 CC -- the bakelite ones with white arrows. After several years of searching I found them at Dave's. I was elated to find them after such a long search but immediately Dave was apologetic for needing to charge a "premium" price for them. He was totally a gentleman and I was more than pleased to pay his reasonable asking price. Today, many years later, I still have those knobs on my ES-150 CC -- and those knobs ain't going nowhere! Thanks Dave!

User Info Menu

Dave's has an original-run Gibson Tal Farlow. Mmmm. Amazing collection of old Fender amps along with a truly markable guitar collection.

I used to live near and in La Crosse back in the early to mid 80s and jammed with Dave many times at "Blues Night," which was hosted at various bars over the years (Pearl St. Pub, Jazz Quester Lounge, Satan's Den, B&R's later R&B's, etc.). In those days he was strongly influenced by Clapton, haven't heard him play in nearly 30 years. Dave really loves guitars and is in the business because of that, not to make a fortune.

The big wood statue in the entryway of the La Crosse store is of Howard "Guitar" Leudtke, a monster blues player and western Wisconsin blues hero.

User Info Menu

He's got one guitar in his museum I've lusted for a long time.
    I'm not saying what it is because I periodically try to pry it away but he has no need to sell so can't blame him.
    but I'm going to keep trying!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Dave's has an original-run Gibson Tal Farlow. Mmmm. Amazing collection of old Fender amps along with a truly markable guitar collection.

I used to live near and in La Crosse back in the early to mid 80s and jammed with Dave many times at "Blues Night," which was hosted at various bars over the years (Pearl St. Pub, Jazz Quester Lounge, Satan's Den, B&R's later R&B's, etc.). In those days he was strongly influenced by Clapton, haven't heard him play in nearly 30 years. Dave really loves guitars and is in the business because of that, not to make a fortune.

The big wood statue in the entryway of the La Crosse store is of Howard "Guitar" Leudtke, a monster blues player and western Wisconsin blues hero.
    I lived in La Crosse 2000-2010 and still visit Dave's when I'm in town. My older daughter lives there now. Great town, with a great local arts and music scene.

Dave's playing was also very influenced by Santana--maybe one reason why he likes PRS so much. Well that and getting great support from PRS as a company.

He does love guitars and has had the good luck to make a small fortune selling them.

Re' Howard Leudtke...he is from a beautiful town called Chippewa Falls (home of Leinenkugel). I have heard about him and even think I might have met him but have never heard him play! Ironic.

Here is my younger daughter (who will be moving from Madison to Lincoln in 2 weeks for grad school) at Dave's:

Dave's Guitars.......great experience!!!-img_2334-jpg

User Info Menu

Howard with an old Gibson archtop (L7 with a McCarty pickguard pickup?) and a GA-50.

Back in my days in La Crosse he usually used an ES-345 (?- with Varitone, is that the right model?) and a Lab Series L5 amp. He said to me one night "you know, I keep going out to buy a Fender and I keep coming home with Gibsons."

He sounded more like this in those days:

User Info Menu

Well, everything arrived on Thursday and as expected it was packed beautifully! They did such a great job. I'm still so impressed and appreciative that they did this. Does anyone know if Peter or David is a whiskey drinker? I'd love to send them something.

Anyway, pics of new toys will be on a separate post.

Cheers to Dave's!