Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I see ETSY is up 4% this morning. Just looked at the PE ratio. Market must be counting on some real growth.

User Info Menu

Does David Kalt still own CME? Will he be riding into the sunset at Reverb? Will Reverb and CME be breaking up their relationship?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone View Post
    Does David Kalt still own CME?
    Internet says yes, but at this point CME is the tail that wags the dog in its business relationship with Reverb. You won't see anybody selling a guitar store for $275,000,000.00.

Will he be riding into the sunset at Reverb?
    His "We're selling" statement says that is the plan.

Will Reverb and CME be breaking up their relationship?
    The ownership relationship, yes. It's common-sense to expect that CME will remain a Reverb vendor.
    "Don't worry about that. Everybody talks about finding your voice. Do your homework and your voice will find you." - Branford Marsalis

User Info Menu

Good, maybe they'll have Reverb fix their terrible search engine.
    Regards,

Gary

User Info Menu

Reverb has a search engine?

User Info Menu

Fascinating to watch where the real money abides.

A tiny stake in MANY online transactions seems better than actual involvement in hands-on transactions through a store. Obvious enough I suppose - in retrospect.

My transactions (about 50/50 - buy/sell) on Reverb have all gone extremely smoothly. I had a few questions (not problems) and always got 100% perfect info and support from the staff at Reverb.

User Info Menu

I assume that CME does far more business thorough Reverb than through their thankfully-limited Fake-O NGD posts here - which I have not noticed for quite a while.

User Info Menu

Etsy has made their own online shop worse and worse - making changes , it seems - just to make changes! They haven't made selling easier, just harder and less fun. My wife is getting out of selling on Etsy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Mack View Post
    Etsy has made their own online shop worse and worse - making changes , it seems - just to make changes! They haven't made selling easier, just harder and less fun. My wife is getting out of selling on Etsy
    I see what you mean. I've never been on the Etsy site but quiclkly checked it out... it has a relevance problem in the search function, and the number of displayed items is skinny, not as bad as or repetitive as Reverbs so maybe the coders at Reverb will get "enlightened" meaning fired! :-)
    Regards,

Gary

User Info Menu

I've found it difficult to find something on Etsy if you don't know the seller, and don't use the exact search terms required. Mostly I get misses, very few hits. On Reverb I get whatever has been bumped, over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    I've found it difficult to find something on Etsy if you don't know the seller, and don't use the exact search terms required. Mostly I get misses, very few hits. On Reverb I get whatever has been bumped, over and over.
    On Reverb I always change the default sort from "Best Match" (dumb) to one of the others. If it's something I look for regularly, I select "Most Recent."
    -- Isn't it crazy that "archtop" and "luthier" are spelling errors on this forum?

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI View Post
    I see what you mean. I've never been on the Etsy site but quiclkly checked it out... it has a relevance problem in the search function, and the number of displayed items is skinny, not as bad as or repetitive as Reverbs so maybe the coders at Reverb will get "enlightened" meaning fired! :-)
    I just checked out Etsy for the first time. Searched for Green Pen Holder, and then Green Pen Cup. Got some relevant hits, but also some very bizarre hits, with no logical order. The default "Relevancy" sort doesn't seem to work at all.
    -- Isn't it crazy that "archtop" and "luthier" are spelling errors on this forum?

User Info Menu

Although having less than 20 transactions there I felt more comfortable buying items through Reverb than most any place else. My last transaction, last year, was a large 70 lb. tube amp. Like other items purchased from Reverb, the amp was very conservatively rated. When it arrived the amp appeared brand new.

I've been an Etsy member for what 7 or so years? At one time it was known as a place for artists to list their wares. Sounds like Etsy has done okay for themselves. Well all the best to them and their Reverb ventures.
    "You've got to be in the sun to feel the sun. It's that way with music too." - Sidney Bechet

User Info Menu

Ditto. All the best to Etsy in this venture.

User Info Menu

Well all of the archtop guitars are already overpriced on Reverb anyway. So at least they can't ruin that lol!

User Info Menu

After Kalt sold OptionsXpress Holdings to Charles Schwab in 2011 for over a billion dollars, it didn't take long for him to buy CME for chump change, and then move to create Reverb. At the time, ebay was doing an even shittier job than they now do, so it was an easy path for him to take. $275 million? Play money for David Kalt. Maybe he just wants to smell the flowers. Or maybe he has something else up his sleeve. Either way, good on him.
    "Somebody get me out of this chair." - BOB WILLS
    Hammertone is a registered Hofnerologist.

how is ebay doing a shitty job? In the last couple years, I've had better luck on ebay than reverb.

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker View Post
    how is ebay doing a shitty job? In the last couple years, I've had better luck on ebay than reverb.
    Not me. Just had a fairly expensive buy on ebay where the vintage boutique instrument arrived just so-so, pics did not reveal wear, neck not as "straight" as advertised, seller claimed "I'm not a musician," etc.

Most every transaction of mine on Reverb has been exemplary. And their support is immediately responsive. Of course, ymmv.

i've had the opposite response on reverb and their support has been spotty. Recently I bought some pickups which ended up not being delivered in time for me to get them before a vacation and the vacation return took me beyond the 7 day evaluation period so I asked reverb to extend the 7 days to 9 days so I could ensure the pickups were ok. Their response was that they would not and advised me to have a neighbor open the package and check that the pickups worked.

EFF THAT!

OTOH, most of the purchases on reverb have gone smoothly but they have their heads up their asses on some policies. Another example, I bought a guitar that had a twisted neck. Took it to my repairman who wrote up an evaluation and repair estimate and returned the guitar for a refund. He even called the repairman to verify and ended up calling him a liar. This guy worked on benson's guitars!

The seller posted negative feedback saying I lied about the issues and was just returning it because I didn't like it. Presented with the evidence, reverb declined to remove his feedback. In similar situations on ebay regarding revenge feedback, ebay will remove it.

User Info Menu

I don't want the thread to reduce to a horror story exchange, but there are ALWAYS businesses that will have a confrontation from time to time, and auction sites are especially dicey because there's only the written word between parties and delivery services to document the transaction.

That said, I have nearly two thousand Ebay transactions since around 1996 and not one bad one, while with 29 transactions on Reverb and one bad which I had to big hammer handle myself because I got laissez faire attitude (no help) from Reverb.

I still do business on Reverb, but only when the same item is not available on Ebay.

The concept of Reverb is unique and valuable to players, I wish them success.
    Regards,

Gary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker View Post
    (snip)

The seller posted negative feedback saying I lied about the issues and was just returning it because I didn't like it. Presented with the evidence, reverb declined to remove his feedback. In similar situations on ebay regarding revenge feedback, ebay will remove it.
    But also it should be noted on eBay a seller cannot leave negative feedback for a buyer, for most categories - including musical instruments - the only options for returns are either no returns or 30-day return policy, a buyer can always claim "not as described" and get a refund, and there are myriad ways for a buyer to scam the seller out of goods and money. And eBay almost always sides with the buyer in the case of a dispute.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    Reverb has a search engine?

Ha Ha... my misteak (misspelling deliberate)
    Regards,

Gary

User Info Menu

I bought my Hamer through Reverb without issue, but it’s been my only transaction so far.

There’s a new startup called Mercari, but i DO NOT RECOMMEND THEM. I refuse to do business with a company this unethical.

I was just about to list my Gibson LS-6 on Reverb when a classical forum I use said Mercari was running a special with no fees on musical instrument sales. Sold it in less than 24 hours. Took THREE WEEKS TO GET MY CASH. They won’t release money to the seller until the buyer gives his feedback. Then they dn’t tell you until AFTER they need to verify your identity with photo ID submissions that you are really you. Despite using the campera on my iPad Pro that gave perfectly legible photos (my bank app loves it for check deposits), Mercari kept flagging my submissions to avoid approving it, all the meanwhile sending me three or four emails a day urging me to spend my money through them to buy another product.

From now on I’ll only sell locally through Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace, so I can work with the person face to face.
    Redeemed, Husband, Father, Veteran. Thankful for all four!

I play a customized Godin 5th Avenue, Córdoba GK Studio, and a Hamer Korina. I also play a Kala uBass on occasion

I can easily be wrong cause I've not used etsy, but I think reverb has some advantages for selling? Smaller commission, free posting where Etsy charges to renew, paypal so no unauthorized transactions can occur, can charge for shipping (wouldn't like that to change), better customer service, search engine.

I hope Etsy doesn't shut reverb off, the way I read they did with other smaller competitors they bought.