Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

My violinist wife is trying out a different set of strings this go-around. As a gear-head, I think these tail windings look very cool.

OT: Cool Violin Strings-v-strings2-jpg
    -- Isn't it crazy that "archtop" and "luthier" are spelling errors on this forum?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

D'Addario Kaplan Amo strings?
    D'Addario uses a series of colour codes to identify specific orchestral string sets.
    Makes a lot of sense to me.
    "Somebody get me out of this chair." - BOB WILLS
    Hammertone is a registered Hofnerologist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone View Post
    D'Addario Kaplan Amo strings?
    D'Addario uses a series of colour codes to identify specific orchestral string sets.
    Makes a lot of sense to me.

Yep, probably a Kaplan Amo set with synthetic cores!
    Violins and violinists have always preferred the sound and feeling of smooth strings like gut, or flat wounds, or, at least, strings with sanded round wire wrapping) on acoustic instruments. The more or less cool look of strings is rather secondary.

-- Isn't it crazy that "archtop" and "luthier" are spelling errors on this forum?

User Info Menu

My exwife was a tuba player.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound View Post
    My violinist wife is trying out a different set of strings this go-around. As a gear-head, I think these tail windings look very cool.

OT: Cool Violin Strings-v-strings2-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    My exwife was a tuba player.
    She's not anymore?

User Info Menu

Still a tuba player, but not married to each other. Irreconcilable differences. Strings - Brass
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound View Post
    She's not anymore?

User Info Menu

And folks who complain about the cost of guitar strings should go check the price of a set of Pirastro Evah Gold strings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rob taft View Post
    And folks who complain about the cost of guitar strings should go check the price of a set of Pirastro Evah Gold strings.
    My friend, a professional Cello player, laughed when I told him that I used "very expensive" guitar strings.
    A set of Thomastik js113 comes to about a quarter of the price of his D string.

User Info Menu

Pirastro, D'Addario … ok, next lesson learnt!

There's must be a factory, or probably a factory town, somewhere in China, where the guitar strings for the world market are produced.
    As is the case with many other commodities (not only Chinese tomatoes that are canned in Italy to finally deserve the dubious credit of a genuine 'Product of Italy'), most string companies relabel the same products, at the very most ask for some 'own' recognizable, multi-colored silk wrapping, deal out a melodious product name plus grandiose marketing blah-blah - and make big profits.
    The players don't know nor care about the shape and quality of the steel core alloy, or the wrapping, or the so important drawing process of the core wire, etc. They expect the string companies to bend over backwards in order to develop the best possible products for the money, but if you'd tell the latter how the quality could be improved (at the cost of some more cents per set), they'd not even make a gesture of refusal - their situation being too convenient as is.