Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

I've been noticing my guitars have been out of tune a bunch lately....All flat. Even a little buzzing in spots that happen in winter. Low and behold I check the humidity the last few days and it's been 37% which is a bit lower then I expected. The spring was well into the 40s. I guess all the A/C is the culprit. Anyway, just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

AC will lower the humidity for sure. But so will heat.

I have noticed that once it gets really hot and dry in August and September, it's more humid inside than outside. But in June, not so much. More humid outside, especially in the morning.

User Info Menu

Down here, summer is usually drier than the winter, as long as there isn't a hurricane in progress.

User Info Menu

I'm in the Willamette Valley in western Oregon. Our summer humidity will top out at 50% or a tad more, most days doesn't get there. Today was 42% with a high of 79*.

A lot of mid/late summer will have weeks with humidity never getting above 35%.

Winters ... if it's only 60%, it's low. We can be 80% humidity at 43*F.

I would much rather have 80% humidity at 43*F over having that humidity at 85*F!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Life should be so sweet for everyone
    We worked a festival today in 100 degree temps w high humidity.
    There was a tent but the sun was at our backs the whole set. It was pretty brutal, but we survived, I drank about 6 bottles of water before hand
    Tomorrow we're playing a jazz bbq in 100 degrees again, then our regular Sunday gig (that one's indoors thank you very much)

User Info Menu

Outside here it has been 90d-ish and extremely humid. I just checked the hydrometer in my studio and it reads exactly 50.
    The one on the baby grand in the living room says 47.

Probably can't do much better overall inside. But my gig Wed at a local tavern was a bear. Took all night for the guitar to adjust.
    -- Isn't it crazy that "archtop" and "luthier" are spelling errors on this forum?

User Info Menu

Hot air can hold more humidity than cold air, not less. The humidity metric in weather reports is relative humidity. A lower RH reading in summer than in winter does not mean there's less moisture in a given mass of air in summer . It means that the air is holding a lower percent of its saturation point for that temperature, which (depending on the specific numbers) could mean there's more total moisture in a given mass of air than for the higher winter reading.

John

User Info Menu

DMgolf, You have one hellava AC unit.
    The RH in my room is 57%. My guitars are lovin’ it! Especially the 165. When humidity is up, the pattern of the curly maple top levels out. In the dry winter, the surface of the wood gets bumpy.
    Rneil, it sounds like the Willamette area is the place buy a summer home! It must be beautiful there.
    Wintermoon, Stay safe buddy. I personally could not do what you are doing. Me and my wife went for our walk around the lake last night and this morning. Last night it was 91 and the humidity was probably the same. This morning was a little better but not much. The only thing I was thinking was, “well at least my guitars are happy”!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A. View Post
    Hot air can hold more humidity than cold air, not less. The humidity metric in weather reports is relative humidity. A lower RH reading in summer than in winter does not mean there's less moisture in a given mass of air in summer . It means that the air is holding a lower percent of its saturation point for that temperature, which (depending on the specific numbers) could mean there's more total moisture in a given mass of air than for the higher winter reading.

John
    I don't even bother with humidity readings anymore. All I know is when the dew point gets above 70, it feels like you're in some type of tropical jungle hell!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim View Post
    I don't even bother with humidity readings anymore. All I know is when the dew point gets above 70, it feels like you're in some type of tropical jungle hell!
    Just remember, it's not the heat it's the ...

.... Stupidity

John

User Info Menu

Until yesterday it has seemed like St Louis is more humid than usual. Last week it was in the 90s with 50-60% relative humidity. One night it dropped down to 85 degrees have the “real feel” of 97 because the humidity was so high! But my guitars are all happen, that’s for sure!

Sunday night a cold front finally came in and we’re in the low 80s and low humidity so I’m going fishing today, then to the guitar store tonight to hang out and maybe jam.
    Redeemed, Husband, Father, Veteran. Thankful for all four!

I play a customized Godin 5th Avenue, Córdoba GK Studio, and a Hamer Korina. I also play a Kala uBass on occasion