The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 39

User Info Menu

This baby needs a dearmond guitar mike and it's ready.
    I will post new pics of her when she arrives.

Elferink Jesse van Ruller-img_6147-jpg

Elferink Jesse van Ruller-img_6148-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Look at all the claw figuring in that spruce top - beautiful! A nice companion instrument to your Moffa I'm sure!

User Info Menu

If it sounds half as good as it looks it will be outstanding. Congrats and enjoy the ride.

User Info Menu

Beautiful finish! Love that violin shade.

User Info Menu

Looks nice. I Was wondering about the laquer . Elferink seem to use pretty thick laquer. The one i had Was that way aswell. 10 layers is more than most. Did you talk about this in the design phase ? Congratz on the guitar !

User Info Menu

Saw Franz's post and recognised it, what a looker and I bet she sounds wonderful as well!
    She's gonna make a fine pair with your Moffa, happy picking (καλόπαιχτη φίλε)!
    Last edited by IbanezAS100; 09-07-2015 at 04:47 AM.

User Info Menu

Awesome Disco! I don't think I've ever seen so much figuring on a top before. Elferink makes great guitars. You'll love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hjalmiz
    Looks nice. I Was wondering about the laquer . Elferink seem to use pretty thick laquer. The one i had Was that way aswell. 10 layers is more than most. Did you talk about this in the design phase ? Congratz on the guitar !
    Hello Hjalmiz, I don't think that the heavy laquer bothers me, I just let him do his thing.
    Thank you for the good words!

User Info Menu

Ok thanks . It Will be a nice contrast to the Moffa-almost-no-laquer at all approach. Happy playing.

So, finally I had the time to give a quick review.

The Elferink "JvR" arrived and it's a great guitar. The woods Frans Elferink picked for this guitar are really figured and beautiful in person.
    The guitar has a very traditional jazz voice since the top carve starts from the neck and finishes under the bridge.
    That gives the Elferink a more round and middle tone compared to the more bright and refined tone of the Moffa.

The dearmond guitar mike picks up the natural acoustic tone of the guitar and sends it in the amp, just a bit fuller.
    I am amazed how good this pickup sounds.

I am really happy with the guitar Frans Elferink built for me and it was a joy to talk to him, he made everything easy from start to finish. Totally suggest him if you want a nice archtop in the lower price range.

I will try to post a video soon.

Elferink Jesse van Ruller-img_20150920_214401-jpg

Elferink Jesse van Ruller-img_20150920_214004-jpg

User Info Menu

Great guitar!

Good to see that Dutch builders seem to be in fashion!
    (and rightly so!)

User Info Menu

Oh, beautiful guitar! Looks great and I'm sure sounds great. Congratulations! Enjoy it in good health.
    Cheers,
    Frank

User Info Menu

Congrats! Frans Elferink made great instruments. I wonder why Jesse play more Gibson nowdays.

User Info Menu

I'll second that my recent ElferinkTonemaster build sounds fantastic!!!!!!!!!!

So, i finally found the time to record something.
    This guitar has a really nice high end and I just love the brightness coming out from the woods.
    Here, the guitar is through a Mambo 10" that is cranked and the guitar volume pot is low.
    My playing gets worse and worse over the time since my practice is very limited and the gigs don't come often since my job takes all my time, sorry for the sloppy playing.

User Info Menu

My Elferink Tone Master sounds as good as I could ever hope for, and it's not even a year old yet! Congrats on a wonderful instrument. Just curious as to Elferinks std. neck shape. I ordered mine w/ a larger profile and man was it big!
    I ended up bringing it to a local luthier to reshape it to .875 first fret- .990 12th fret. And to me that's a perfect large Gibson style large shape.

User Info Menu

She sounds wonderful. The DeArmond has a way of simply amplifying the sound of the guitar so we now know what the guitar itself sounds like.I also liked your "Tenderly". You did a very nice vibrato at around 4.05 that you should do more often. It sounded nylonish. I made up that word. So,which do you like better, this one or the Moffa?

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    My Elferink Tone Master sounds as good as I could ever hope for, and it's not even a year old yet! Congrats on a wonderful instrument. Just curious as to Elferinks std. neck shape. I ordered mine w/ a larger profile and man was it big!
    I ended up bringing it to a local luthier to reshape it to .875 first fret- .990 12th fret. And to me that's a perfect large Gibson style large shape.
    Elferink guitars are great indeed. I have no problem with the neck shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Archtop Guy
    She sounds wonderful. The DeArmond has a way of simply amplifying the sound of the guitar so we now know what the guitar itself sounds like.I also liked your "Tenderly". You did a very nice vibrato at around 4.05 that you should do more often. It sounded nylonish. I made up that word. So,which do you like better, this one or the Moffa?
    Thank you for the thoughtful reply, I'll give your points a try!
    About the comparison, I really can't make it.
    The Moffa is more airy, bright and refined, much harder to play since every note is really clean, maybe it's the arch that is more flat that gives this flattop quality.
    The Elferink has a more traditional jazz sound, more midrangy and has a lot of snap.
    Two different beasts.

User Info Menu

So is your neck shape really large as well, or more medium?

User Info Menu

Easily one of the best arch top tones I have ever heard.

You are converting me to the "more acoustic" sound.

Only because it's freaking beautiful.

In my head I can hear fast bop lines on those top strings.......oh my goodness!

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    So is your neck shape really large as well, or more medium?
    Sorry for not answering in details, I'm not the "specs" guy, but the neck is quite large. I don't really have a problem since I am 6.3 . The large neck profile with the big nut width gives more room for playing and I'ts pretty comfortable actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Philco
    Easily one of the best arch top tones I have ever heard.

You are converting me to the "more acoustic" sound.

Only because it's freaking beautiful.

In my head I can hear fast bop lines on those top strings.......oh my goodness!
    I was also a "deep-ala-Pat-Metheny-tone-guy" but the acoustic voice of good archtops changed my perspective.
    Thank you for the kind words. Also I will try to record something faster with a backing track or something, I DOES sound great when playing fast.

User Info Menu

Wow. Now I understand the enthousiasme for Elferink guitars. There's a lot of power behind every note!
    Congrats, great choice!

User Info Menu

Elferink Nylon Archtop, WOW!