The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

I don't where else to post this but seems like this gets a bit more activity that other forums. If wrong moderator can move if for me. I have a large number of old tape cassettes from the 1980's and even into the 90's. They fill a pretty large box not sure how many but I never listen to them anymore. They quality is good to poor everything is digital now although some rare recordings I suppose. Many are things others sent to me of albums that were recorded they have but could not buy anymore.

Should I just pitch them all in the trash and be done with it. Frankly too much trouble to even send to someone if they wanted to pay the shipping. I know there must be some of you out in jazz guitar land who had/have things likes this what did you do? They take up space.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I had a lot of old cassettes, I was going to digitise some of them (I still have a decent tape deck which works). But in the end I only did one (an Emily Remler album which is no longer available). The sound quality was quite good but not really up to the quality of (say) an amazon download.

Since nearly everything I had has now been reissued as an mp3 or iTunes download, I couldn’t be bothered and threw them all away. I too needed the space!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I had a lot of old cassettes, I was going to digitise some of them (I still have a decent tape deck which works). But in the end I only did one (an Emily Remler album which is no longer available). The sound quality was quite good but not really up to the quality of (say) an amazon download.

Since nearly everything I had has now been reissued as an mp3 or iTunes download, I couldn’t be bothered and threw them all away. I too needed the space!
    Same here. Around 10 years ago my old car had a cassette player so I played tapes there, but otherwise everything else was either on CD and\or an IPOD. Once I purchased a new car, I had no use for the tapes, but couldn't throw them away so I stored them in the garage. Note that I did something similar with my Beta collection of golden-era films (another hobby of mine).

Once a year or so the wife would ask: do you need this stuff???? I would say YES!!! as a knee jerk reaction. Only when we remodeled the garage did I finally get rid of all of it.

User Info Menu

Personal experience: cassette titles are often sellable. Not as in demand as old vinyl but more in demand than CDs (which mostly impossible to sell). Check out Discogs and completed eBay sales. You may be surprised.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Over at Gravy Bob's Scrapyard they be paying 14 cents a pound for used cassette tapes.

User Info Menu

Timely topic, thanks. I've got cassettes and had a good player, an old SONY D6, but lately it's on the fritz. Looking around for a decent player has led me to the inexpensive portable ones with MP3 output, though I hesitate to feed my old tapes into one of those. Supposedly, there's a cassette comeback on the horizon, but I haven't see players.

About holding onto the tapes, I dumped long ago the stuff that I had on LP and later on CD, so the ones I still have, maybe 150 or so, are mostly stuff from traveling in years ago, rare obscure international music that I wouldn't even know where to begin to look for it, though Sublime Frequencies has done some CDs of that type of stuff. So for now, I'll hold onto the tapes a little longer and see if this cassette renaissance is afoot, or if I can get that old D6 repaired.

Don't even get me started on reel to reel tapes; my old Akai took a bad fall in an earthquake and now it's all warbly.

User Info Menu

I've already digitized all my cassette tapes, and I have most of the music I like saved to cloud.

Life is good!

User Info Menu

put them into the free section of craigslist...pay it forward

User Info Menu

Seek out a local music collector, go to a record show in your area.
    You might be able to make a small profit, pass the music on to someone looking for it & it won't end up in a landfill!

User Info Menu

Just watched this interesting video, Cassettes - better than you don't remember

User Info Menu

Both my cars are so old that they have tape players- so I have a small collection of tapes that I listen to in the car.

I still buy tapes for that reason.