The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 63

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vashondan
    Came back to this thread to refresh my memory re comments about the DV and then ordered one. I'm happy with my X2 and the Champ 20 but needed to try this thing out for myself and a little different tone might be just an added bonus. It was on sale (is on sale) for 249.00 so figured with that price and 45 days to decide what the heck.

Will let you know what I think!
    That's a great price for this amp! I paid $110 more last December.

The photo at Musician's Friend is, apparently, the older model with the noisy fan. From what somebody else posted, the product is likely to be the updated version, even though the picture is the older one.

The new model has a redesigned fan and I've never heard it. I have no idea if it even works.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    That's a great price for this amp! I paid $110 more last December.

The photo at Musician's Friend is, apparently, the older model with the noisy fan. From what somebody else posted, the product is likely to be the updated version, even though the picture is the older one.

The new model has a redesigned fan and I've never heard it. I have no idea if it even works.
    I had pretty much talked myself out of getting one when I saw the ad. I asked them about the fan thing and they assured me that any amps they had were newer ones. The price made me suspicious but MF often does crazy prices on items. Fingers crossed.

User Info Menu

The one I received recently came from GC. It was the latest model. Unfortunately I am 10 days past the price match guarantee window.

Last Sunday night we used the DI for the first time. I was told it sounded even better coming through the JBL PRX monitors. (I didn't have to move or lift the PRX monitors.) :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleOM
    The one I received recently came from GC. It was the latest model. Unfortunately I am 10 days past the price match guarantee window.

Last Sunday night we used the DI for the first time. I was told it sounded even better coming through the JBL PRX monitors. (I didn't have to move or lift the PRX monitors.) :-)
    Sorry about the lateness of my purchase Hoping I like it as much as others. Do you use the reverb? Haven't heard good things about it.

User Info Menu

I can't say I really use it. The way I normally set reverb is to gradually raise it until I can hear the effect and then I turn it down a wee bit. The bar room where I normally use it has a lot of natural reverb. With all of the overhead fans in that room we also get a lot of warble effect.

User Info Menu

MF and GC are the same company. It might worth contacting them about the price match -- it is kind of skeevy of them to sell you something out of one pocket that they're selling to someone else cheaper out of a different pocket, and they might be a sheepish about that if it were brought to their attention.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    MF and GC are the same company. It might worth contacting them about the price match -- it is kind of skeevy of them to sell you something out of one pocket that they're selling to someone else cheaper out of a different pocket, and they might be a sheepish about that if it were brought to their attention.

John
    They do have a price match guarantee for 45 days. I am outside that 45 day window.

User Info Menu

IMO the reverb is okay. I do about the same as Danielle. If I can tell the reverb is on, it's too much. I usually use a TC HOF mini, though, because it's convenient. My MB200 and Clarus have no reverb, so I use the HOF, where I can barely tell it's there, and just use the same cable out for the LJ. But if I take it out, I don't bother with the HOF, and the onboard reverb is fine, but never at a level that I can really hear. More than that and it's surf music, which I don't care for.

User Info Menu

They do have a price match guarantee for 45 days. I am outside that 45 day window.
    Understood, but they're the same company, and even now they are selling the same product for two different prices, depending on which website you go to. It looks like they may have been doing that for a while. Might be worth saying "hey, that's not cool."

John

User Info Menu

I think the reverb sounds good in the first half of the knob's rotation.

Sounds strange to me after that. My son, who is a good musician, liked it.

I get some of my reverb from my pedalboard, but I use the LJ's reverb around 10 o'clock.

User Info Menu

Well, got it this morning and have been playing around with it the last couple of hours. I'm on the fence. My first impression was that I was going to send it back. It's definitely a nice little amp but the sound is so different than the Fender amps, which is mostly what I've ever played, that I was taken back by it. I'll definitely spend some more time with it but....

I play two tiles. One with a humbucker in neck and the other traditional. I didn't like it at all with the single coils. No matter what I did it sounded like the typical twangy punchy sound of a Tele bridge. There were some sounds with the humbucker that make me want to give it more of a chance but the punchiness was there with it as well unless I played lightly.

What I really want is a PRRI and I was hoping this would make me happy enough to put it out my mind. Will see. Stay tuned. What kind of guitars are you all playing with the amp?

User Info Menu

I don’t know what kind of sound you are after, but I find it gives a very good ‘classic jazz guitar’ sound using an archtop, i.e. quite a fat, warm sound. It doesn’t seem to give a lot of treble/bright frequency even with the treble control right up, but that doesn’t bother me as I’m not after that sound. (Although that may partly be down to using my 175 on the neck pickup, it’s never going to sound like surf guitar!)

Anyway here’s an example of the sound I get from it:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I don’t know what kind of sound you are after, but I find it gives a very good ‘classic jazz guitar’ sound using an archtop, i.e. quite a fat, warm sound. It doesn’t seem to give a lot of treble/bright frequency even with the treble control right up, but that doesn’t bother me as I’m not after that sound. (Although that may partly be down to using my 175 on the neck pickup, it’s never going to sound like surf guitar!)

Anyway here’s an example of the sound I get from it:

Very nice. What kind of settings are you using?

User Info Menu

Here are the settings I use on mine:
    Attached Images Attached Images DV Mark Little Jazz v Fender Champion 20-a01f956a-b58c-4491-8476-c815af74cf4f-jpg 

User Info Menu

Well, got it this morning and have been playing around with it the last couple of hours. I'm on the fence. My first impression was that I was going to send it back. It's definitely a nice little amp but the sound is so different than the Fender amps, which is mostly what I've ever played, that I was taken back by it. I'll definitely spend some more time with it but....

I play two tiles. One with a humbucker in neck and the other traditional. I didn't like it at all with the single coils. No matter what I did it sounded like the typical twangy punchy sound of a Tele bridge. There were some sounds with the humbucker that make me want to give it more of a chance but the punchiness was there with it as well unless I played lightly.

What I really want is a PRRI and I was hoping this would make me happy enough to put it out my mind. Will see. Stay tuned. What kind of guitars are you all playing with the amp?
    A matter of taste, of course.

That said, I would suggest trying it flat on the floor, then tilted back, then on a stand or chair. Also, make sure it isn't too close to a wall. It has a port in back and a nearby wall makes a big difference. The tilting doesn't make quite as big a difference, but you can hear it.

Others have posted how sensitive it is to its own EQ settings.

Worth trying these things, but no guarantee that you get the sound you're looking for. Good luck with it.

User Info Menu

@grahambop - Thanks for the settings. I was pretty close to that by the time I was done with it.

@rpjazzguitar - I had read the threads and tried all of those variations but the basic sound was not what I'd hoped for. I think it may just be that there's dissonance because I'm not used to its unique sound in comparison to what I'm so used to. Having said that the guitar I would use it with the most (the single coil) gives me a sound I just don't like with that amp. Better with the humbucker.

User Info Menu

@grahambop - Thanks for the settings. I was pretty close to that by the time I was done with it.

@rpjazzguitar - I had read the threads and tried all of those variations but the basic sound was not what I'd hoped for. I think it may just be that there's dissonance because I'm not used to its unique sound in comparison to what I'm so used to. Having said that the guitar I would use it with the most (the single coil) gives me a sound I just don't like with that amp. Better with the humbucker.
    Sorry to hear that it's not what you're looking for.

I've played mine with split coil on the Comins GCS-1, which sounds good to me, but usually I'm a neck HB guy.

I had been using three amps, in different settings, prior to getting the LJ.

In my usual rehearsal room, I was using an original 64 Ampeg Reverberocket, which has my all time fave reverb. The LJ, surprisingly. didn't sound all that different with my lead tone. And, the LJ was a little cleaner on chords.

On gigs, I was usually using a Roland JC55. The LJ sounds warmer. The JC55 is louder and I recently took it, instead of the LJ, to a big band gig where the guitar was supposed to be the only comping instrument. I thought I'd need the extra volume. But, the LJ has sufficed for that gig when there's a piano and I'm not playing as loud.

In another rehearsal room, there's a Roland 40X. The LJ sounds warmer.

But, of course, in the end, all that matters is how it sounds to you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Here are the settings I use on mine:
    Many, many thanks for the pic of your settings. I was becoming more frustrated with not being able to find the tone I wanted from my LJ. I was blaming my fingers, my guitar, my pickup, my picks, etc.

Your settings helped me to get the tone I have been searching for more than anything I have tried to date. Ironically, I was actually quit close with my own settings but your pic was final layer of icing on the cake.

User Info Menu

So I took it into my living room where I had intended to use it and it sounded different. Placed it away from the wall and pointing across my body instead of at me. Much better. Did an AB comparison with the champ 20 thats there and it sounded a bit better in some regards. I too used your settings as baseline @grahambop. Helped. How about others? What settings do you use?

User Info Menu

I mostly put the EQ knobs at 12 o'clock, flat. Sometimes decrease the bass and/or treble just a little. It depends on the guitar and the location. But I always start out flat.

User Info Menu

I too used your settings as baseline @grahambop. Helped.
    How about others? What settings do you use?
    Did you see this thread?
    DV Mark Little Jazz combo...Please comment further re: EQ, tilting, elevating, etc.

User Info Menu

No, thanks. I’ll take a look.

@sgonell - thanks for the settings. Your approach seems sound (no pun intended).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Hey, just to be clear...are the settings that have been posted based on the number of dots from off or o'clock?

User Info Menu

Mine are 12 o'clock, except for the reverb, which I usually set at about the second dot. But your preference for that will likely be different. The LJ is not a Fender, so flat is with the pointers at 12 o'clock.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Mine are 12 o'clock, except for the reverb, which I usually set at about the second dot. But your preference for that will likely be different. The LJ is not a Fender, so flat is with the pointers at 12 o'clock.
    I have the bass almost all the way off. Mids at noon. Treble about 11 o'clock. Reverb at maybe 10 o'clock. I put the volume at about 1 o'clock and then control it from my pedalboard.

Then, I add some reverb with the pedalboard and use the resulting tone for comping. I don't like a lot of lows when I comp. There's usually a piano, always a bass and drums and, often, horns. Lows risk making the band muddy, at least, with my hands and ears. And, the Comins has a rather dark sound.

For solos I add some other effects, including more low frequency info.