The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

I've fallen in love with Raezer's Edge cabinets to pair with my Quilter 101 Reverb or Acoustic Image Clarus for clean jazz gigs. I have the opportunity to get either a Stealth 10 or a Twin 8 cabinet for the same price. Anyone out there have experience with both (esp. the Twin 8)? The Twin 8 is a couple of inches shorter, four inches wider, and 8 pounds heavier (30 lbs vs. 22 lbs), which I don't really mind. (It still beats lugging a Fender Twin around!)

Oh, and one add-on question: I've never played through a Stealth Extended Range cab with the extra tweeter and adjustable crossover. I don't find I'm losing high end sparkle when I play my 335 or 175 through a regular Stealth. For jazz gigs, I'm usually dialing out the sparkle. Any great advantages to the Stealth ER?

Thanks much!

Skip

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I use a Stealth 10 on about 99% of my gigs (with an Acoustic Image Clarus). I can’t speak to the twin 8, but the Stealth 10 sounds perfect with my archtops. I also have a Stealth 12 and a Stealth 10ER (with tweeter). I like the Stealth 10 better than the other two cabinets. I only use the 10ER cabinet occasionally for acoustic guitars (nylon string or Gypsy Jazz). Sometimes I take the Stealth 12 out if it is a large venue, but I don’t really think it is necessary. I could be totally happy with just the Stealth 10. It is a great sounding cabinet.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    ....Sometimes I take the Stealth 12 out if it is a large venue, but I don’t really think it is necessary. I could be totally happy with just the Stealth 10. It is a great sounding cabinet.
    Keith
    Thanks for the response, Keith. When you get a minute, could you elaborate on the differences between the Stealth 10 and 12? I've gigged all summer with a borrowed Stealth 10 and love it. However, there's also a Stealth 12 I'm looking at but have not played through. Are the differences with the Twin 10 just volume and more low end? Thanks again.

User Info Menu

I’ve owned both the Stealth 10 and the Twin 8. The Twin 8 is boomier than the 10. I’d pick the 10... but even better, I’d look for a NY8. Closed back 1x8 sounds best with archtops to my ears. Also remember the Twin 8 is a 4 ohm cabinet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vernon
    I’ve owned both the Stealth 10 and the Twin 8. The Twin 8 is boomier than the 10. I’d pick the 10... but even better, I’d look for a NY8. Closed back 1x8 sounds best with archtops to my ears. Also remember the Twin 8 is a 4 ohm cabinet.
    Thanks, Vernon. I was wondering about the NY 8. My fear is that it wouldn't be loud enough. How does it compare to the Stealth 10 in terms of projection and volume?

User Info Menu

The Stealth 10 would give you a little more umph, but I played the NY8 with a Quilter 101 (telecaster... no mic) in church along with a keyboard player and I had PLENTY in reserve. Projection was very good.

User Info Menu

I've never owned a Twin 8, but I had a 6/8 ER cabinet, and I have a Stealth 10ER now. I had both at the same time until I finally found a buyer for the 6/8. Both are fine cabinets, but I prefer the 10. The 6/8 had no tweeter, but did have a crossover circuit, so it's not the same as a Twin 8, but probably not so very different. It just had more treble, which was difficult to dial out. With the Stealth 10, it's easy to dial the treble in or out using the adjustment on the back. I tend to run mine at around 9 o'clock, sometimes lower depending on the guitar, amp, and location, sometimes full off. It's nice to have a little bit of zing available sometimes, but I'm not a fan of running the tweeter full up, nor even half way. It's personal taste, though, and some may like having the additional treble available for some situations. I think the tweeter makes the cab more versatile, and if it were my choice I'd take the Stealth 10. But it's your money, not mine, on the line.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SkipBurz
    Thanks, Vernon. I was wondering about the NY 8. My fear is that it wouldn't be loud enough. How does it compare to the Stealth 10 in terms of projection and volume?
    I've used a clarus + NY-8 for close to 20 years. I've never even come close to maxing out the volume, playing all sorts of gigs. My general experience is that if I'm playing a large venue, they are gonna have a sound system and a small amp is fine. Or, in a medium to smallish club, the NY8 is perfectly fine. I haven't really ever found the need for anything else, with the kinds of gigs I play.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SkipBurz
    Thanks for the response, Keith. When you get a minute, could you elaborate on the differences between the Stealth 10 and 12? I've gigged all summer with a borrowed Stealth 10 and love it. However, there's also a Stealth 12 I'm looking at but have not played through. Are the differences with the Twin 10 just volume and more low end? Thanks again.
    Hi Skip:
    I seldom use my Stealth 12. I’m not sure if there was a noticeable increase in volume but I would say it probably has a little more bottom end than the 10. Having said that, the 10 has plenty of bottom end without any boominess. I mostly play L5’s and ES175’s but I also play an American Archtop 7 String and the 10 handles the low A string very well. I can’t imagine needing a bigger cabinet. There is also the size and weight to think about. The Stealth 12 is a fairly big cabinet and I don’t feel like hauling it around when I have the smaller one.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Thanks guys for all the input. You've been very helpful. It sounds like the Stealth 10 I've been using this summer might be the best option. Although, I'll keep my eye out for a deal on the NY8. Sounds like it could work as well.

Thanks again.

Best,
    Skip B.