The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 38 of 38
    Quote Originally Posted by archtopeddy
    That PU looks like one of the Chinese-made neck mount Johnny Smith-style humbuckers. Is that correct?
    That's exactly what's on there currently. Had some nice moments with the guitar over the weekend especially with my joyo American dirt Pedal. I think this guitar will work for what I bought it for.

I made a New pickguard out of some scrap plywood by the way:
    Harley Benton Custom Line Manhattan-Standard-img_20190722_133528-jpg

I think that shape fits the guitar much better.

Paul

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Oh yeah! That pickguard looks a lot better!

User Info Menu

That pickguard looks great! A really nice old school vibe!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    That pickguard looks great! A really nice old school vibe!
    Thumbs up to you Little Jay. Good call on your part initially to suggest the different pickguard.

User Info Menu

Very pretty guitar. Looks like a fun project. Congratulations, and play it in good health!

Over the weekend the Monel STrings I had ordered for this guitar finally arrived, and they make a huge difference! I'm really happy, and feel like I'm already gettin' close to the sound I'm after. So far I've had good results playing through a really cheap and small practice amp (I think the small speaker has something to do with it), and with some dirt from the Joyo American Pedal.

I was unsure about uploading this clip, because of my crappy recording gear. I think the track sounds kinda thin, and not halfway as good as the guitar does in person, but I decided to upload it though, because I guess most of you know about these problems aswell, and maybe it can give you at least a slight impression of where I'm at.
    I also was unsure about uploading because of my crappy playing

(The rhythm-track is the same guitar, just unamplified)

I'm currently reading up on different pickup designs and evaluating, I gotta say, that the stock floater sounds better than I thought it would. I guess a singlecoil will fit better though.

Next Step is placing an order on an octal Tube adapter which lets me use an SN-7 instead of a 12AX7 in this tube Preamp pedal that i have sitting here. That should get me some real octal-Preamp drive!

Paul

In case somebody is interested:
    I just noticed, that Thomann currently has a B-Stock of this guitar for sale for only 181€.
    I'm not affiliated with them, but i gotta say i like mine!
    Just thought I'd share that Deal on here.

Paul

I don't want to push my own stuff too aggressively, so I didn't out this clip here earlier, but after I read so much positive stuff about some of the Harley Benton Stuff I really wanted to share this:

This is an excerpt from a CD I put out with my Band, and it's just the stock guitar into a cheap Ibanez acoustic amp, with a Jr. Barnyard in front of it.
    I just think this is a really nice guitar (and I don't necessarily need to add "for the money" to that), and I think it deserves some attention.

Paul

User Info Menu

Hi Paul,

Largely based on the positive things you wrote here about your experience with this guitar, I have just ordered one myself and am wondering how things have developed for you with the guitar since your last, now rather old, post about it. What would be your main pieces of advice now about how to modify the basic instrument and get the best out of it? Thanks.

Julian

Quote Originally Posted by Julgu
    Hi Paul,

Largely based on the positive things you wrote here about your experience with this guitar, I have just ordered one myself and am wondering how things have developed for you with the guitar since your last, now rather old, post about it. What would be your main pieces of advice now about how to modify the basic instrument and get the best out of it? Thanks.

Julian
    Cool! I hope you'll enjoy it!

I think with a setup, and maybe a new nut you should be good to go! I strung the guitar up with the Martin retro Monel strings and think they suited the guitar really good!
    I had planned to swap the pickup for a vintage vibe floating Charlie Christian pickup, but didn't get around to do it.

I have sold my HB though. Not because there was anything wrong with it, but an eastman AR405E came along at a price too good to pass. The eastman is the better guitar, but I think the HB is the better bang for the buck. I do miss the HB a bit to be true.

Keep us posted! I'm really curious as to how it'll work out for you!

Paul

User Info Menu

Thanks for your reply Paul. What gauge strings would you recommend for this instrument and what sort of replacement nut and tuners? Thanks again. Julian P.S. Love your band, The Gramophoniacs. What city are you based in?

Quote Originally Posted by Julgu
    Thanks for your reply Paul. What gauge strings would you recommend for this instrument and what sort of replacement nut and tuners? Thanks again. Julian P.S. Love your band, The Gramophoniacs. What city are you based in?
    Well I guess string choice depends on personal preferences, but personally I like thick strings on archtops. I play .13s on electric and feel "at home" with them.
    For tuners I'd probably look for something that will just drop right in. Otherwise I really like the locking tuners on my acoustic for the added practicability.

For the nut I think a well cut bone nut is hard to beat.

Thanks for the kind words about my Band! It's a labour of love, and I really enjoy having some awesome bandmates. We're based in Saarbrücken germany.

Paul

User Info Menu

Thanks again Paul. I really appreciate your advice. Julian P.S. Saarbrücken 2 - Bayern München 1!