The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11
    I have an 1976 Gibson es 175 and don't know how to clean it and make sure that the wood is in good condition

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Avishay mohar
    I have an 1976 Gibson es 175 and don't know how to clean it and make sure that the wood is in good condition

I’ve had good luck with Virtuoso products.

About Us - The Virtuoso Group, Inc.

User Info Menu

There are a lot of products marketed for this, a well regarded one is linked above. I had a bottle of Martin guitar polish which probably lasted me 25 years or more. A lightly damp rag (water) can be useful for getting dirt, grime, etc. off of the finish prior to applying some kind of polish or wax. Jimmy D'Aquisto reportedly used lemon Pledge! Many people will tell you not to do that because the product contains silicone which absorbs into the finish in the wood of the guitar, making refinishing down the line reportedly more difficult. I don't know enough one way or the other on that, but it has kept me away from that product. Fingerboard maintenance of rosewood, ebony or other unfinished woods can be done with a very light application of linseed oil, raw or boiled makes no difference, which is applied in a scant amount of about one drop for the entire fingerboard and then immediately wiped off. Once a year is probably frequent enough unless you live in a very harsh, dry environment. There would be no need to do that with a maple fingerboard which is finished.

Mostly guitars do fine if left pretty well alone in terms of finish care. Just don't expose it long to excess heat, excess cold or to rapid temperature changes.

User Info Menu

I have a 1972 ES-175D in natural finish as well. BTW, you need to post pictures.

When I got it, it was covered with smokers mung and was just generally dirty. The case was immediately banished to the garage for a few months to air out. The guitar had surprisingly little smell to it.

Anyway, to answer your question, I disassembled as much as possible, and then went over it numerous times with a damp microfiber cloth until it stopped getting dirty. I did the same to all of the hardware until everything was clean. I used a cardboard tube extension on a vacuum hose to vacuum the shmutz out of the inside.

The frets got a cleaning/polishing with Flitz metal polish and the rosewood fretboard and bridge were conditioned with Music Nomad fretboard oil (mine has a rosewood saddle, not a tune-o-matic.)

After that I went over the body with a mild polish where it needed it and followed up with guitar spray wax and another microfiber.

That's pretty much the cleanup routine I use with every used guitar I get. Then of course they get new strings, intonation set, action set, etc.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much it was very helpful

Vintage archtop care-156348240327323638261-jpg

User Info Menu

Looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by coryB
    Looks great!
    Thanks buddy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fasteddie
    I’ve had good luck with Virtuoso products.

About Us - The Virtuoso Group, Inc.
    plus 100!

User Info Menu

Those tuners are not original, I don't think, but look great, as does the guitar. I own a '72 also. Great guitar. Enjoy lots of wonderful music with her!

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    Those tuners are not original, I don't think, but look great, as does the guitar. I own a '72 also. Great guitar. Enjoy lots of wonderful music with her!
    That's right, they are the only unoriginal part in this guitar