Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 30 of 30

User Info Menu

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a Polytone amp. I just really liked its portability and tone. I found a Teeny Brute on Craigslist the other day and was wondering what you guys think of it?
    Polytone Guitar Amp - musical instruments - by owner - sale
    I'm kind of worried that the speaker is replaced. Not really that experienced with amps so don't know if this is the right option for me. Should I go for it? It's most likely that I won't be able to test it out with my guitar. If there are any alternatives with a similar sound and portability, please let me know.

Thanks so much

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That speaker is fine (assuming everything works, of course). If you're local, why not test it out?? Is $300 your budget right now for a Polytone? Also check out the posts on DV Mark, etc.

[And if you're actually in Gig Harbor, save up and buy an Anderson Amp!! Jack is an awesome guy, and will make you whatever you need!]

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy View Post
    That speaker is fine (assuming everything works, of course). If you're local, why not test it out?? Is $300 your budget right now for a Polytone? Also check out the posts on DV Mark, etc.

[And if you're actually in Gig Harbor, save up and buy an Anderson Amp!! Jack is an awesome guy, and will make you whatever you need!]
    Yes, I prefer to spend less than $500. Does the speaker change the original polytone sound?

User Info Menu

The Teeny is my favorite Polytone. I have a II, IV, Teeny, baby/teeny head and a Baby Taurus. The Eminence Legend is a pretty common speaker replacement for a Polytone. I don't have one but I think you should be fine getting "the sound". I recently replaced the original tired speaker on my newly acquired Baby Taurus with a Eminence Beta and it is now much much better and gives me "the sound" I expect.

Regarding alternatives in your price range you might want to check out DV Mark as Marcwhy suggested. There is a lot of recent love on this forum. I would also look at used Henriksens. I just picked up a Henriksen 110 (similar to the Teeny Brute in terms of sound and portability) for $200 on ebay arriving later this week.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by jasonmi3 View Post
    The Teeny is my favorite Polytone. I have a II, IV, Teeny, baby/teeny head and a Baby Taurus. The Eminence Legend is a pretty common speaker replacement for a Polytone. I don't have one but I think you should be fine getting "the sound". I recently replaced the original tired speaker on my newly acquired Baby Taurus with a Eminence Beta and it is now much much better and gives me "the sound" I expect.

Regarding alternatives in your price range you might want to check out DV Mark as Marcwhy suggested. There is a lot of recent love on this forum. I would also look at used Henriksens. I just picked up a Henriksen 110 (similar to the Teeny Brute in terms of sound and portability) for $200 on ebay arriving later this week.

Good luck!
    Great! Thanks for letting me know. I was looking at new Henriksens and they were just out of my budget. If I'm gonna buy a used amp, I prefer to see it first. I also looked at the DVmark jazz 12 but it was about 2 times the teeny brute in price. Personally, I feel the Polytone will have more of that classic pass sound , while being cheaper. What would you do in my case?

Thanks

User Info Menu

I would take my guitar and go check out the Polytone ASAP. That is the classic Polytone circuit. If you like the sound, buy it. The only caveat I would say is it is probably 40 years old although there should be nothing irreplaceable in the circuit. The IC chips might take a little digging to find replacements, if necessary, but otherwise that circuit is very simple for a solid-state amp. Schematics are available on the Internet.

I had a Mini Brute II that was the next generation or two. Great amp. Sold it several years ago foolishly because I thought I had too many amps in the house. I subsequently replaced it with a Baby Taurus which is an outstanding amplifier. Every jazz guitarist needs a Polytone amp just because.
    Beauty is as close to terror as we can well endure. -Rainer Maria Rilke

User Info Menu

+1 to what Cunamara said! I would go for it ... given you've had a chance to play it and it sounds good to your ear. You will not regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara View Post
    I would take my guitar and go check out the Polytone ASAP. That is the classic Polytone circuit. If you like the sound, buy it. The only caveat I would say is it is probably 40 years old although there should be nothing irreplaceable in the circuit. The IC chips might take a little digging to find replacements, if necessary, but otherwise that circuit is very simple for a solid-state amp. Schematics are available on the Internet.

I had a Mini Brute II that was the next generation or two. Great amp. Sold it several years ago foolishly because I thought I had too many amps in the house. I subsequently replaced it with a Baby Taurus which is an outstanding amplifier. Every jazz guitarist needs a Polytone amp just because.
    By the look of the listing, do you think there are any flaws? How about the price?

User Info Menu

Jasonmi3 is correct in his assessment.

And, I agree that the Teeny is the sweet spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone View Post
    Jasonmi3 is correct in his assessment.

And, I agree that the Teeny is the sweet spot.
    Do you agree with Jason that the Teeny Brute is the best Polytone?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skadiddle12 View Post
    Yes, I prefer to spend less than $500. Does the speaker change the original polytone sound?
    Everything in the circuit affects the sound to some extent. However, the original Polytone speakers which were an odd 3 Ohm design are simply no longer available. 4 Ohm eminence speakers are standard replacements and preserve the sound of the amp pretty well. They will certainly sound better than a worn out or blown original speaker.

I would see about bargaining the seller down to $300 or even shoot for $275 and work your way up from there. When I sold my MB to price was about $200 7-8 years ago; I think I paid $200 or $225 for it. It was, however, in somewhat rough cosmetic shape even though it worked fine.
    Beauty is as close to terror as we can well endure. -Rainer Maria Rilke

User Info Menu

I like the Teeny (10" speaker) and the Baby (8" speaker) the best.

I've decided to go for the amp! Do you think it's okay to buy without trying? Also, once I get the amp, do I need to buy a grill for the speaker that's exposed?

Thanks so much for the comments guys.

And one more thing, is this amp from the Diamond Tolex era?

User Info Menu

You can get a NOS replacement for a diamond tolex version grille on ebay.

You can get a NOS replacement for a diamond tolex version grille on ebay.
    So is this amp Diamond Tolex?

User Info Menu

No, diamond tolex only refer to the cabinet tolex (tolex... with a “diamond”/rhombus pattern. The teeny in your link is felt/carpet. Regular tolex, diamond tolex, felt- they share the same cabinet and preamp etc. up until the later version with a mids control.
    So is this amp Diamond Tolex?

User Info Menu

The felt ones...my favorites. ..need no grille.

The felt ones...my favorites. ..need no grille.
    Thanks for your comments. I also have another offer on the table for a DV Mark Jazz 12 Amplifier for $330. Which should I go for? I'm really not sure how they will differ. Do you expect the Teeny to be much better?

User Info Menu

We have exchanged PMs. Good luck with a delicious decision.

User Info Menu

Thanks for your comments. I also have another offer on the table for a DV Mark Jazz 12 Amplifier for $330. Which should I go for? I'm really not sure how they will differ. Do you expect the Teeny to be much better?
    You mentioned previously that you may not be able to play it BUT.... the only way to really know is to play both soI would strongly encourage you to try to play both then decide. I do not have experience with the DV Mark Jazz but do have experience with Polytone so I'd personally go that direction if I did not already have one. In fact the Teeny I have is the exact same Felt model you are looking at without the grille cover and love it.

You mentioned previously that you may not be able to play it BUT.... the only way to really know is to play both soI would strongly encourage you to try to play both then decide. I do not have experience with the DV Mark Jazz but do have experience with Polytone so I'd personally go that direction if I did not already have one. In fact the Teeny I have is the exact same Felt model you are looking at without the grille cover and love it.
    I've asked the seller to give me some sound recordings. Since you have the exact same model, is the amp fine without the grille cover? How does the Teeny Brute compare to something like a Henriksen or a Mambo?

User Info Menu

I've asked the seller to give me some sound recordings. Since you have the exact same model, is the amp fine without the grille cover? How does the Teeny Brute compare to something like a Henriksen or a Mambo?
    I have not had any problems lacking a grill cover but nonetheless I have considered adding one. You should not have problems but accidents can happen. Your last question is simply personal preference. I don't have a Mambo, so I can't comment on that. I do know a lot of people really like them. I do have many Polytones and two Henriksens and I have found they are both great amp brands. Good Luck!

I just received another offer for what I think is a Polytone Mini Brute 2. The seller mainly used it for upright bass. I know the seller well and I would be able to try the amp out. Maybe you guys can tell me the era but it has the metal top with the felt around the amp. He wants $300 for it. What do you guys think of this? It would be much easier to get this amp than the Teeny Brute but if the Teeny Brute is really worth it, I can go for it.

User Info Menu

I just received another offer for what I think is a Polytone Mini Brute 2. The seller mainly used it for upright bass. I know the seller well and I would be able to try the amp out. Maybe you guys can tell me the era but it has the metal top with the felt around the amp. He wants $300 for it. What do you guys think of this? It would be much easier to get this amp than the Teeny Brute but if the Teeny Brute is really worth it, I can go for it.
    Sounds like the same era as the Teeny Brute you've been considering but post a picture if you have one. The Polytone Mini Brute 2 is probably the most common gigging Polytone so you can't go wrong with that model. Since you can try it out in person I would definitely put that at the top of your list so far. Regarding the price, it's in the ballpark. I personally would offer $250 but if I really liked the amp the asking price you mentioned is not unreasonable.

Sounds like the same era as the Teeny Brute you've been considering but post a picture if you have one. The Polytone Mini Brute 2 is probably the most common gigging Polytone so you can't go wrong with that model. Since you can try it out in person I would definitely put that at the top of your list so far. Regarding the price, it's in the ballpark. I personally would offer $250 but if I really liked the amp the asking price you mentioned is not unreasonable.
    Would the amp not be affected from being played by a bass player?

User Info Menu

Would the amp not be affected from being played by a bass player?
    No, I've had bass players play through my Polytones regularly in the past when jamming at my house.

Just found out it's a 15 inch Mini Brute with Reverb. So Mini Brute 4 I'm guessing? Might have to go for the Teeny Brute? I'm taking Greentone's theory that with Polytones the smaller the better? Also, I feel it will be easier to transport. Should I still consider the Mini Brute 4?

Thanks

User Info Menu

Just found out it's a 15 inch Mini Brute with Reverb. So Mini Brute 4 I'm guessing? Might have to go for the Teeny Brute? I'm taking Greentone's theory that with Polytones the smaller the better? Also, I feel it will be easier to transport. Should I still consider the Mini Brute 4?

Thanks
    Many folks like the 15 inch speaker. I have a Diamond Tolex Mini Brute IV that sounds great, although it can get boomy without a low cut filter. The sound can also fill a room/space better for larger or outdoor gigs. Having said that, you have mentioned portability as a key consideration more than once and for that reason you might want to stick with a Teeny or a Mini Brute II tops.

User Info Menu

Back in the 1970's and even 1980's Polygons amps were about your only choice other than tube amps. But nowadays there are so many more choices that are better,especially in weight,power and most of all reliability.
    I never had the best luck with Polytones from the 1980 period. Make sure it
    S what you want before buying it sight unseen.