The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

I'm considering purchasing a used Benedetto Bravo guitar, it is #168 does anyone know how to tell what year it was made?

Thanks much in Advance

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Are you certain of the serial number? That doesn't sound like a Benedetto serial number.

User Info Menu

Do you mean "1638," the one on Reverb? Wolfe is saying "2009" -- you don't believe him? I guess I'd email Bob to verify ...

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Are you certain of the serial number? That doesn't sound like a Benedetto serial number.
    That is the serial number the store gave me. I don't have the guitar and yet they are saying that is the serial number. I think I'll ask them again and maybe ask them to take a photo and send it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Do you mean "1638," the one on Reverb? Wolfe is saying "2009" -- you don't believe him? I guess I'd email Bob to verify ...
    No it's not on Reverb, it's in a retail store. I'll get a photo from them and then hope to post it for you to see. Thanks so much.

Benedetto Guitar Serial Number lookup-bravo-jpg

I just uploaded a photo of the serial number for you to see.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by asnopenheart
    I just uploaded a photo of the serial number for you to see.
    Cool; I'd reach out to Bob.

User Info Menu

This is one from the FMIC Benedetto venture that ran from 1999 to 2006.

#142 is from 2005. Benedetto Bravo 2005 Antique Burst | Reverb

By the way, in my estimation, it has a used street value of $1960 and under i.e. slightly lower than the price of an ES-175...A dealer might try asking $2250 as he needs to make his cut to keep the lights on.

(A new Bravo didn't sell for $5000; that was its MSRP. MAP was $3500. Street was $3500 to those who didn't know better to $2800 to $2625 to $2450 for good negotiators. I don't know if they are collectable. They are not, in my point of view. The FMIC Guild X170, X175, X180 have a used street value of about $1600 to $1800. The FMIC Benedetto Bravo are little different from the aforementioned Guilds, all being made in Corona. Dealers will try to talk them up but just try selling one to them.)
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 07-14-2019 at 06:01 PM.

Thank you so much for that information, very very useful..

User Info Menu

I don't claim to be an expert. It is written as opinion and may not reflect market realities whatever they mean. Based on my own understanding and observation I have arrived at these values.

The elephant in the room is always Gibson. All archtop guitars are measured pricewise against the closest Gibson equivalent. Because when prices are the same the better buy is always Gibson, not because they are better guitars but because the brandname recognition is there and Gibsons are easier to sell. Gibson is the gold standard, love it or hate it.

User Info Menu

I'm not really up on the Fender-made Benedettos. I've never been interested, like many other instruments. The Fender-made guitars might be ok, but I would prefer the ones made in Savannah, or the earlier ones made by Bob. The early ones can be pricey, though, often beyond their actual worth as players. Used Bravos made in Savannah are generally very nice guitars, used by many professional guitarists, including Joe Negri and Barry Greene among others. I lust for one, but make do with a Wu until I can sell my Bambino Deluxe.

Thanks everyone for your help.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    This is one from the FMIC Benedetto venture that ran from 1999 to 2006.

#142 is from 2005. Benedetto Bravo 2005 Antique Burst | Reverb

By the way, in my estimation, it has a used street value of $1960 and under i.e. slightly lower than the price of an ES-175...A dealer might try asking $2250 as he needs to make his cut to keep the lights on.

(A new Bravo didn't sell for $5000; that was its MSRP. MAP was $3500. Street was $3500 to those who didn't know better to $2800 to $2625 to $2450 for good negotiators. I don't know if they are collectable. They are not, in my point of view. The FMIC Guild X170, X175, X180 have a used street value of about $1600 to $1800. The FMIC Benedetto Bravo are little different from the aforementioned Guilds, all being made in Corona. Dealers will try to talk them up but just try selling one to them.)
    Jabs has the right stuff here. I would add that a Gibson 165 with a set in P/U would be a close comparison as well.

As far as collector value, the Bravo in my estimation would be low on the list. I've played some really outstanding Bravos and some that were just OK. If you are knocked out by the Bravo you are considering OP, I don't see how you could go wrong. There were some issues with the push-pull P/U pot however I believe most have been fixed by now.

Yes, it may be more difficult to sell down the road than a Gibson, however as a player's instrument it will always have value. My Bob built Cremona is a different animal, however she's my working guitar and as far as monetary value, she's not for sale at any price.

If you love it, go for it!
    Attached Images Attached Images Benedetto Guitar Serial Number lookup-pvm-gig-jpg 

Thanks so much for your message Sierra Tango,

I decided against ordering the Bravo as it was selling for over $3500 at guitar center (reduced from over $5,000) .

Don't really know much about archtops yet I've been wanting to try one and yet want to be sure that the one I do Purchase has a good resale as I'm not sure if I will keep it for a long time.

Current choices are a Heritage Golden Eagle on sale here on Jazz.be, also a Sadowski Jim Hall on Reverb Sadowsky Jim Hall 2018 Caramel Burst | Vic's Guitars | Reverb that looks beautiful,

and the ones I've heard on YouTube sound wonderful.

As I'm completely inexperienced I just want to give it a try, currently have a Les Paul type guitar that plays and sounds great, yet I've been yearning for a more acoustic, airy, tone lately.

Any advice?

Gabriel

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by asnopenheart
    ... Don't really know much about archtops yet I've been wanting to try one and yet want to be sure that the one I do Purchase has a good resale as I'm not sure if I will keep it for a long time...

Any advice?

Gabriel
    Gabriel, I would highly recommend that you try to play as many archtops as possible before laying down thousands of dollars. You mentioned resale, but the market is extremely soft on archtop guitars right now so there is no sure fire band/model that is a "good resale". Also, body width, nut width, pickup type or no pickup... all things you will only know after getting you hands on as many guitars as possible.

Enjoy the search!

Thank you Steve,

I live in Sedona, AZ far from any store that has archtops. Even a large city like Phoenix ( about 100 miles away) doesn't have many archtops.

Perhaps I should wait until I get to the East Coast, seems like especially NJ has some archtop stores. Don't know when I'll be getting to the East Coast but I hear what you are saying as I have no idea which archtop I'd like to play. I do know that I like slightly wider necks, and like to hear the acoustic flavor of the guitar. I tried a GB-10 George Benson and it has a lovely neck yet did not have the full bodied and acoustic sound I was looking for.

That's the reason I buy guitars online at guitar center as it's so easy to return them if I don't like them.

Best to you,