User Info Menu

We moved out of our home for several months while renos were being done and I stashed my guitars at my office for safekeeping. I kept my MIM Strat with me. Now that we’re back in, I’ve noticed that the .010s on my guitars (other than my Strat) feel a little heavy. Even on my 339 which due to scale length should feel lighter.

I’m thinking about going to .009s or .0095s. Odd. I’ve always played .010s.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This is from not getting enough (or any) play time. I've recently had a severe dearth of practicing opportunity and have to go to lighter strings until I get my hands built back up. Going lighter is no big deal.
    Best regards, k

User Info Menu

I suppose it's what you're used to. I've never used any strings lighter than .011, and very few of those. I used .012 sets for a long time, but I use .013s lately on several archtops. I can't even contemplate using .009 sets, nor even .010. But everyone has a different preference, and that's why they sell such a variety of strings. Use what you like.

User Info Menu

don't sweat it...you realize how many great records were cut with 08's??!!! clapton..james burton...page..etc etc...

by whatever means necessary to keep the guitar in your hands & playing!

cheers

ps- and not that i consider light strings a compromise to sound...not at all..certain guitars ring true better with lighter strings than being strangled by heavy strings...every guitar has it's own sweet spot

pss- lastly lastly...if you still feel guilty...check out ghs big core nickel rocker rounds...9.5's...uses a slightly bigger inner core..for bigger tone..quality strings

User Info Menu

Then again I heard Pat Martino say he used .16 to .60 and Howard Roberts also...…………….never underestimate the power of testosterone.
    specializing in repair and setup, does your guitar play like it should?

User Info Menu

dick dale used 16 -60 set too...but that's not for everyone..if someone is more comfortable with lighter strings, so be it...why amps were invented..to amplify!...you can easily replace tubes, but not fingers

use whatever gauge strings fit you best!

cheers